I doubt the "Shamu" is the Nexus 6..

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Why did Google say that Android L and ART is being compiled and optimized for 64bit, but then their reference developer device, the Nexus 6, running a Snapdragon 805 which is a 32bit SoC?

Also, from all the prior Nexus devices, the word NEXUS is written on it somewhere, yet the "Shamu" is completely devoid of it.

I'm guessing this device is some sort of Moto X Max device.. just my opinion.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why did Google say that Android L and ART is being compiled and optimized for 64bit, but then their reference developer device, the Nexus 6, running a Snapdragon 805 which is a 32bit SoC?

Also, from all the prior Nexus devices, the word NEXUS is written on it somewhere, yet the "Shamu" is completely devoid of it.

Looks like the HTC Nexus tablet using the Tegra K1 is the 64-bit reference Android L reference device.

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
What 64bit processor is currently in production for phones that are to be released in around a month? Didn't the N4 and N5 leak without the nexus branding on them? Maybe Google is moving on from that. Let's face is Nexus written landscape on a phone looks kind of silly

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I don't think the 64 bit Snapdragon 808 and 810 processors are ready for mass production yet... I read first quarter 2015 for mass production and use in devices..... I think I read the Tegra chip isn't ready for phones yet but ready for tablets..... (I've been wrong before)

Outside of that... Pretty much every major Android publication is about 90% certain "Shamu" is going to be the next Nexus phone.... Last year the first batch of Nexus 5 leaks were void of any Nexus branding.... It wasn't until we got a lot closer to launch that the word Nexus was seen on the back of the device..... Several of the early leaks just had the LG logo on them.... So having the "M" on the back doesn't really tell you much either....

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
What 64bit processor is currently in production for phones that are to be released in around a month? Didn't the N4 and N5 leak without the nexus branding on them? Maybe Google is moving on from that. Let's face is Nexus written landscape on a phone looks kind of silly

When the Nexus 5 was being developed and used by Google employees, one of them snapped a picture of the giant kitkat statue and then someone took a picture of all of them taking pics.

This image is what resulted,

http://cdn.cultofandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-Shot-2013-09-04-at-10.17.12.jpg

You can clearly see the Nexus logo on the back of that N5..

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
When the Nexus 5 was being developed and used by Google employees, one of them snapped a picture of the giant kitkat statue and then someone took a picture of all of them taking pics.

This image is what resulted,

http://cdn.cultofandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-Shot-2013-09-04-at-10.17.12.jpg

You can clearly see the Nexus logo on the back of that N5..

That was Google trolling everyone...... Ironic one person with a Nexus 5 standing next to someone with a Nexus 4 at an official KitKat unveil... I am talking of the leaking photo's and the video of the Nexus 5 found in a bar on the charger but the screen locked... I can almost promise you the "TEST" Devices they send out into the field for people to play around with and report back don't have Nexus branding on them or they are in a case that covers up any and all branding of the device... Apple has done the same thing with the iPhones and I am sure everyone does that with their test devices....

This picture was Google messing with us all......

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Lmao people still in denial.

It's coming... I don't know if they've kept a smaller device hidden better but I larger 5.5 - 6.0 inch device was due out... People just don't talk on their phones anymore.. There is a reason carriers offer unlimited talk and data caps and tiered data plans.... People want to consume data from their mobile device and thus they want a bigger screen to do so..

My Nexus 7 will fit in my front jean pocket.. Not super comfortably and I couldn't sit down (Bendgate?) with it but not bad.. the LG G3 fits comfortably in my pockets with no problem at all.. even sitting down.... and going from the LG G3 5.5 to 5.92 isn't a major leap..

I can't wait for this monster to hit... I'll be clicking away to get my order in ASAP.... LOVE IT!!!!!

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I feel now that there is sufficient evidence out there now to say that the shamu is going to be the next Nexus.phone. I know that will not make some of us techo lovers happy. But it makes this one happy. I am hoping that more info and leaks continue to pour in. I don't remember a nexus device with this little fanfare on the message boards as well as the lack of leaked info to this point compared to past devices. I just can't wait to see it for sale on the Play store and order it!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Tablet is going to be the reference device. Maybe shamu is part of android silver and there is no more nexus phones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The Nexus 8/9 tablet will be the 64 bit Nexus. Since there will be 32 bit Android being released and supported for the immediate future, it makes sense to have both 32 bit and 64 bit reference devices.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
However, it seems unlikely that Motorola would want to put the Nexus 6's rumored specs (which we'll get to in a second) into a 5.2-inch size, because it would cannibalize the hell out of its own 5.2-inch Moto X. Instead, it's possible that this smaller device will just be the Moto X Google Play Edition.

Nexus 6 Rumor Roundup: Everything We Think We Know

I don't know what the appeal of a Moto X Google Play edition is. :(

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what the appeal of a Moto X Google Play edition is. :(

Basically a pure edition with a 805 processor and qHD screen and probably minus the few neat additions Motorola adds in....... Not much different outside of that.....

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Explain the naming convention. Nexus devices have been named after fish:

hammerhead
grouper
tilapia
mako
maguro
toro
manta
etc.

If Shamu isn't a Nexus, then what is it?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Google Play editions don't have different specs.

usually no... but the wording in the Gizmodo article is that they would save the rumored specs of the 5.2 inch Nexus 6 and just make them a Google Play Edition...... Thus that would mean a bump in processor and screen if the rumored benchmarks of a 5.2 inch Moto device with the 805 and qHD screen were real and NOT another Nexus 6......

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

hammerhead
grouper
tilapia
mako
maguro
toro
manta
etc.

Shamu isn't a fish though....... actually an orca/dolphin/mammal if I am not mistaken......

Could be slight of hand by Google..... but I doubt it...

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

hammerhead
grouper
tilapia
mako
maguro
toro
manta
etc.

"Shamu" is a name of an Orca at SeaWorld.. there isn't an actual genre of sea creatures called "Shamu", all those other ones are actual names of real fish.

If I took a sticky note, wrote "Swordfish" on the back and taped it over the HTC Logo on my M8 and called it the Nexus, would everyone believe it?