Google Nexus 6P USB-C Charging

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Qualcomm quick charge doesn't work with 6p!!

Qualcomm quick charge is so overrated to begin with. I really can't stand how it's only effective from like 0% to 50% then it slows down to the same pace as any ole basic charger. My charging habits categorize me as a 'topper'. I like plugging it in the morning when I wake up to top it off before I'm off to work. If I'm around 50-60%, a QC charger/compatible phone won't get to 100% within an hour. QC 2.0 is only good for those that always find themselves at low levels and they want a quick jolt to get them somewhere they can charge it longer. Not for 100% toppers like me.

I'd rather have a fast charging method that has a faster sustained charge from 0 to 100. I hope that the 5p's system has this.

Last edited:

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

There is no Quick Charging, which is a proprietary thing from Qualcomm. However, there is fast charging, which is different. USB Type C is the new standard allows for higher transfer speeds and power outputs, which thus allows for fast charging, though you need a 5V/3A (15W) charger to allow it to do that. Currently, Google's official charger is the only one that outputs like that. In time, other manufacturers will make chargers that support that power output as USB Type C continues to become mainstream.

So it still charges much faster than before, just not in the previous proprietary QC way.

Last edited:

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Deal breaker, no. Means I get a fast charge at home and a slower one in the car. It is what it is until USB-C becomes more prevalent.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site

Qualcomm quick charge is so overrated to begin with. I really can't stand how it's only effective from like 0% to 50% then it slows down to the same pace as any ole basic charger. My charging habits categorize me as a 'topper'. I like plugging it in the morning when I wake up to top it off before I'm off to work. If I'm around 50-60%, a QC charger/compatible phone won't get to 100% within an hour. QC 2.0 is only good for those that always find themselves at low levels and they want a quick jolt to get them somewhere they can charge it longer. Not for 100% toppers like me.

I'd rather have a fast charging method that has a faster sustained charge from 0 to 100. I hope that the 5p's system has this.

Wrong... qc 2.0 fast charges till 90 percent.

Posted via the Android Central App

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Basically no quick charging for the 6p then?!!! 😬

Calm down, they are coming. Not Huawei's fault that QC only works with micro USB at the moment. Not sure USB C needs it.
iMagBond Type C USB 3.1 Dual ports High-Speed Car Charger Cigarette Charger with Type C and USB Charging Ports for Apple new MacBook(2015),Google ChromeBook Pixe,Nokia N1 Tablet & Other Device https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0159SO6K...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4760934

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site

As long as the type C port on the car charger outputs the 3A, it's fine. Most of the current chargers out will do that with the type C input as long as it's the only device plugged in from what I've been reading on XDA. I nabbed a Yoobao dual usb (one A, one C).

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Any reason you don't let it charge while you're asleep, and then unplug it when you wake up?

Seems like it would make more sense...

BlueBirdCA

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Any reason you don't let it charge while you're asleep, and then unplug it when you wake up?

Seems like it would make more sense...

That's what i do. Charge it overnight and i have a charger at my desk at work too. My phone rarely drops below 60% (Galaxy Note 3 right now)

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

Just by more than one from Google they sale the wall charger same one that comes with the 6p. Geesh others will make more soon as this is the standard going forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

There is no QuickCharge 2.0 support. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Google choose to go with the USB-C standard, which has its own set of goodies in it, including increased charging speeds. So rather than go with a propritary, licensed technology, they choose to go follow a new standard instead. The phone will still charge really fast, it will just need to be plugged into somethign that supports the new standard.... a standard that doesn't require a license fee to Qualcomm either.

Everything is going to be moving to C pretty quickly... the 6P and 5X are just among the first. It won't be long before this topic is more or less moot.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!

Yeah, I suppose this happens when there is a kind of shift. And while it might be a bit of an inconvenience, that is short lived. Remember the days where every phone came with their own proprietary cables? You had to buy those stupid 'car kits' or whatever to get a car charger? Those sucked. But once Android went to USBs, most everyone acquired a rather myriad collection of USB chargers.. car plugs, wall bricks, countless numbers of USB cables, etc. So when someone comes along with a new cable standard, there will be a tendency to look at your current pile o' crap and think "Great, all these are useless now"

And that will be true, to a point. But at least they went to a standard that damn near everyone will be going to.... I wouldn't be surprised to see the iPhone line go that route as well. By the end of next year, I expect that near every phone sold will use USB-C... then we'll all start a new collection. :)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

All I know is the Type-C charger on my Chromebook Pixel charges faster than anything I have, it's a 3 amp charger. I have a Motorola turbo charger and the charger for my Note 5. Neither of those charge my phones as fast as the Type-C charger charges my Pixel.

If the Nexus 6P is anything like that, it will be nice. I might as well go ahead and say it, I think it will be.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: USB-C Charging

Which cable would I need to stock up on for charging the phone, and which would I need to get for syncing data from pc to phone and vice versa?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

All I know is the Type-C charger on my Chromebook Pixel charges faster than anything I have, it's a 3 amp charger. I have a Motorola turbo charger and the charger for my Note 5. Neither of those charge my phones as fast as the Type-C charger charges my Pixel.

If the Nexus 6P is anything like that, it will be nice. I might as well go ahead and say it, I think it will be.

That's because the type c charger for your pixel is a laptop charger that outputs at 60W, not a phone charger that outputs at 10 or 15W. The USB 3.1 Spec can provide up to 100W of power. That has less to do with USB C and more that because it's a laptop which can physically charge faster due to a myriad of reasons, it can and does.. The amperage rating on a charger is what we've come to know as the measurement, but the Wattage number is more important to pay attention to.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Which cable would I need to stock up on for charging the phone, and which would I need to get for syncing data from pc to phone and vice versa?

Obviously it depends on what you are plugging into. Odds are for your existing equipment you will need some usb type c to type a cables like this one.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tion/accessories_wall?hl=en-US&token=KO2rwXsU

This may not be the popular opinion but I wouldn't keep investing in anything type a. The world is moving away from that and if you can I would avoid buying anymore than you have to. I plan on trying to get by with the 1 cable in the box and using type c to type c everywhere else.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

for any existing chargers you need a USB Type A to type C cable. This will work with computers as well.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Could I theoretically buy the OPT Type C cable and use it for the 6P? I'm still using an HP Pavilion laptop that I bought years ago, so basically I just want to charge the phone as normal, and then sync between the two devices when I need to. Suggestions are appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz