6 Case Review and Comparison

TCgetsBored

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Case Review for the Nexus 6P
Some info first. I've had this phone since January and used it everyday since. I purchased the Aluminium 32GB phone. I've used Project Fi from the beginning with this phone. Each photo of the individual cases have my thoughts. I purchased each of these cases and this review consists only of my own opinions and thoughts. Others may have had different experiences. I can only speak to my own.

I have found the Huawei as a piece of hardware to be fragile and as such, I have three stages of cases.

Stage 1: Show off Nexus 6P: When I first purchased the phone I had two cases, the Stock Nexus Google microfiber case and the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Air Cushion (UHAC). I didn't care for the gray Nexus case as I found it to discolor and for other reasons. I loved the Spigen UHAC case, but ultimately I had to move on because I noticed that my phone started to bend. It no longer sat flat on the table, but rocked from opposing corners. The Ringke Fushion clear TPU Bumper case was during this stage as well.

Stage 2: Protect the phone but still try to display. Enter in the Poetic Affinity Series and the Supcase Unicorn Beetle Hybrid Bumper (UBHB). After using both of the these cases for a couple of weeks, I went back to started to gravitate towards the Supcase UBHB. After a drop and disappointing performance from the Supcase UBHB, I moved on to stage three.

Stage 3: Keep the phone alive and don't worry so much about he display. Enter in the Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro.

0705161337 (1).jpg

I'll be looking at the:
Google Nexus Case with Microfiber back
Ringke Fusion Clear PC Back TPU Bumper
Spigen Ultra Hybrid AIR CUSHION
POETIC Affinity Series Premium
Supcase Unicorn Beetle Hybrid Bumper Case
Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro (Current Case)

0705161337a.jpg

Stage 1: Google Nexus Case with Microfiber back

This case provides nothing but scratch protection to your phone. I love the styling and appreciate the uniqueness of the microfiber. The finger print scanner has one of the best clearances.

Pros:
Microfiber
Aesthetics
fingerprint scanner clearance

Cons:
only scratch protection
discolored with little use
high cost

0705161338.jpg

Stage 1:Ringke Fusion Clear PC Back TPU Bumper

This is the case I used the least.

Pros:
Cheap price

Cons:
Looks and feels cheap
Clear isn't a true clear, it's off colored
Very bendable
Needlessly over sized fingerprint scanner

0705161338a.jpg

Stage 1: Spigen Ultra Hybrid AIR CUSHION

This was my first go to case. Great feel, well designed around the fingerprint scanner, showed off the phone very well. Just a great design and in my opinion the best of the "crystal" cases. It was this case that allowed the corner to corner bend in my phone.

Pros:
Cheap price
great design around the fingerprint scanner
very well engineered.
feels/looks premium

Cons:
Just not (IMHO) enough protection

0705161338b.jpg

Stage 2: POETIC Affinity Series Premium

I really love this case' styling and performance. It only has one fatal flaw. There is barely enough rubber on the front to hold the phone in the case. The case itself in a solid plastic design and there is protection where it needs to be. If there had been a more secure fit, it would have used this more than the Supcase UBHB.

Pros:
Styling
Minimal, but functional protection
Surprisingly great grip
cheap price
tight fit to the fingerprint scanner

Cons:
Barely clings to the phone.

0705161338c.jpg

Stage 2: Supcase Unicorn Beetle Hybrid Bumper

In stage 2 I wanted a case that would showcase my Nexus phone, while still providing some protection. I wasn't initially a fan of this case, but it grew on me. The fogged rear allows you to still clearly see the NEXUS label. I dropped this phone on a curb and it landed on the screen/on button rim. My screen protector (iCarez: highly recommend their TGSP) did it's job, but the aluminum was bent and the on button wasn't functional. I was able to bend the aluminum shell back and now the phone is functional again, but it became evident that I needed a strong case.

Pros:
See through rear
Style that looks better in person
Good coverage of rear Glass
Good over sized corner coverage
One piece design

Cons:
Style that looks better in person
side rims are vulnerable in an effort to save some bulk and provide better functionality of the buttons.
Needlessly over sized finger scanner opening

0705161338d.jpg

Stage 3: Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro

As mentioned, after a nasty drop of the Supcase UBHB, I moved up to this case being satisfied with the style and over all quality from Supcase.

Pros:
Cheap price (19.99)
Build Quality (feels premium)
Not as big as I had imagined
Material good to grip with hand, but slides in and out of the pocket well.
Can be easily modified to work with a TGSP
clearance around the fingerprint scanner is nice and tight.
Front protection around the speakers and camera

Cons:
Built in screen protector (which I removed and replaced with tempered Glass
Does add some bulk (most similar to a Otterbox commuter)
Makes the phone generic looking

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Good reviews/summary! I own 4 cases total : speck candyshell, the unicorn supcase (the one with the clear back), the ringke clear case (with black frosted edges), and the iblason heavy duty case. I like the speck because the phone feels well protected and it has a good grip. The iblason also provides good protection and it has a kickstand. However the iblason doesn't have such good grip as the speck. As you mentioned, different cases servr for different levels of protection.

*6P 64 gb Graphite (AT&T)*
*iPad Air 2 64 gb Space Gray (AT&T)*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos