Nexus 6P - Camera Discussion

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So what's the Sony sensor in the 6P

Well, we know precious little information about the camera.... 12.3MP, 1.55 micron pixel size, F/2.0... And it was interesting that they mentioned that it a) came from Sony and b) was initially developed for a video and still camera.

And that makes it a mystery. Sony only makes so many mobile phone camera sensors, and the only one that had a pixel pitch that size was the 8MP they custom built for the iPhone 5S. The closed I found to this sensor was the ICX667... an older sensor that just recently got discontinued. It'd be about that size, have about that many pixels, etc. The problem is that I haven't found anything current that Sony puts in a video or still camera that completely fits the bill. The Cybershot sensors are actually smaller (by relative pixel size)....

Mystery...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: The Nexus 6P is rated second best in the DxOmark classement

That is actually a bit of a (pleasant) surprise. That means that a Nexus has one of the best cameras available. The number isn't all that important since most of the ones at the top, well, passed the point where anyone can blame the camera for a bad shot...

But the low-light thing is a bonus. I am curious as to what the sample shots look like.

ced2334

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll beleive it when I start seeing reviewer comparison shots. Till then its all marketing hype to me. Been disappointed too many times I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: So what's the Sony sensor in the 6P

Well, we know precious little information about the camera.... 12.3MP, 1.55 micron pixel size, F/2.0... And it was interesting that they mentioned that it a) came from Sony and b) was initially developed for a video and still camera.

And that makes it a mystery. Sony only makes so many mobile phone camera sensors, and the only one that had a pixel pitch that size was the 8MP they custom built for the iPhone 5S. The closed I found to this sensor was the ICX667... an older sensor that just recently got discontinued. It'd be about that size, have about that many pixels, etc. The problem is that I haven't found anything current that Sony puts in a video or still camera that completely fits the bill. The Cybershot sensors are actually smaller (by relative pixel size)....

Mystery...
It's the Sony IMX377

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/IS/sensor2/products/imx377.html

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
If that is true (that they sport the same camera), what a remarkable bargain is the Nexus 5X!
Can u believe that? Far cheaper than S6 yet better? (not S6 Edge—I know)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait to see real world comparisons with other devices. What I'm seeing so far looks great, and I would hope to see similar results when the reviews are published.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Basically. As far as I know, the only difference between the two is that the 6P records slow motion video up to 240fps and the 5X records up to 120fps.

Yeah, there are a few differences related to the ability of the SD 810 to handle higher data rates than the 808. But for still shots, it is reasonable to assume that the 5X will perform the same (or close enough to not make a difference). So if the DXOMark testing holds true and others coroberate, that's will take great pictures.

I'm actually really intrigued by the choice they made on the sensor. They pretty much broke away from the rest of the OEMs and choose to pick a still/video sensor rather than a mobile one. Pair a large sensor (physically as big as the 21MP unit in the MXPE) but with those big pixels. It might sacrifice the fine level detail, but get back light sensitivity and reduced noise in the process (what good are more pixels if they are noisy). HTC was on to something back in the day. The Ultrapixel sensor's bits were even larger; 2 microns. They just stupidly choose to handcuff it by going WAY too low on the resolution (among other issues). I mean, my wife's Olympus compact (apples/oranges, I know) is 'only' 12MP, but takes nice, highly detailed pics. Once you start getting past 8MP, you really have to start zooming in before you start to see junk... so it's a matter of 'better' not 'more' now.

Another thing that I was thinking about... I wonder if the omission of OIS was out of technical reasons... The cameras that have OIS rigs were all designed, from the ground up, to be stuffed into phones. That means extremely tight packaging constraints in every dimension. So any OIS system needs to be extremely compact and efficient. On still and video cameras, there's a lot more room to work with. Perhaps adding OIS to the 6P, nevermind the 5X, would have required a sensor housing that was a too cumbersome to be feasible. So they left it out and relied on the fact that the reduced exposure times needed with counteract.... Of course, like DXO noted, this doesn't help when taking video (though, that isn't to say they scored the 6P video ability badly. Guess we'll have to see what things are like when they get into people's hands.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Another thing that I was thinking about... I wonder if the omission of OIS was out of technical reasons... The cameras that have OIS rigs were all designed, from the ground up, to be stuffed into phones. That means extremely tight packaging constraints in every dimension.

Sounds good to me. In their Reddit chat, that Nexus team seemed to be keen on the sparseness & thinness of the 6P's design. And if they wanted to keep that camera swatch looking more like a "visor" than a "bump," there couldn't have been much wiggle room to mess with at the top of the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome