Why no USB 3?

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Is it not logical that the new USB C plug would bring the new USB 3 advantages?

I don't get it, why would they make the decision to stick with USB 2?

dreaming of electric sheep

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Someone on the forums mentioned that the top-tier Snapdragon chipset doesn't support it yet. If true, that's the explanation. But I have no idea if it's true.

Evobyte

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
No one knows forsure! Anyone who thinks they know is talking out of their a $$.. USB 2 has been around forever. Technology has already been advanced to 3.0 for awhile, even the old galaxy s5 had usb 3.0... so do you really think the nexus 6p will have 2.0? Doubt it

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

yeah the whole USB-C thing is still kinda a mystery. 2.0 has been out for over 10 years, and 3.0 about 4-5 ... 3.1 is the newest version.

I'm surprised AC hasn't written an article explaining it yet. hopefully today or this weekend.

Last edited:

VetteVert

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
No one knows forsure! Anyone who thinks they know is talking out of their a $$.. USB 2 has been around forever. Technology has already been advanced to 3.0 for awhile, even the old galaxy s5 had usb 3.0... so do you really think the nexus 6p will have 2.0? Doubt it
They confirmed 2.0 in the AMA....

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
the Galaxy S5 did have USB3, as did one of the Notes. Then they went back to USB2.

Honestly I think a good part of it is that file transfers use MTP, which is so horribly inefficient it can't saturate USB2.0 as it is. Why bother with 3.0 then?

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Does this only affect transfer speeds to, say, a computer? I only really care about the quick charging...would have been nice to have 3.0 but I'll live without it.

Posted via the Android Central App

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Does this only affect transfer speeds to, say, a computer? I only really care about the quick charging...would have been nice to have 3.0 but I'll live without it.

Posted via the Android Central App
Has no bearing on charging only transfer speeds.

But charging is another ball of wax. It seems it might not support quick charge standard but do rapid charging another way.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

USB Type-C is just a connector spec.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Has no bearing on charging only transfer speeds.

But charging is another ball of wax. It seems it might not support quick charge standard but do rapid charging another way.

That's something I was confused about. The way it connects and fast charging was all I was caring about anyway. Faster data transfer would have been nice, but oh well.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
USB 3.0 is power hungry.
Uses two separate interfaces to be backward compatible with USB 2.0.
USB 3.0 uses 9 pins for full compatibility instead of 4 for USB 2.0.
Where USB 2.0 uses a pair of signals for data transfer that are bi-directional; USB 3.0 requires a dedicated differential pair in each direction.

USB 3.0 looks more like a single lane of PCIe than actual USB.
For mobile devices the added connector size along with power consumption just doesn't make it practical. IMHO..

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
USB 3.0 is power hungry.
Uses two separate interfaces to be backward compatible with USB 2.0.
USB 3.0 uses 9 pins for full compatibility instead of 4 for USB 2.0.
Where USB 2.0 uses a pair of signals for data transfer that are bi-directional; USB 3.0 requires a dedicated differential pair in each direction.

USB 3.0 looks more like a single lane of PCIe than actual USB.
For mobile devices the added connector size along with power consumption just doesn't make it practical. IMHO..

Thanks for this explanation, in that case usb 2 does make more sense.