6P Review and Annoyance

trimfast

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else find it annoying that they unveil the phones, and then go silent? Mean while companies like LG who unveil their phone, bloggers and sites have one in the hands already to have unboxing videos already and we are left with silence. Furthermore, hey all, here is our new phone, we wont have them in your hands until everyone else gets to enjoy marshmallow before you. May just be pet peeves, but god dammit just release the reviews we know they are in their hands and Google won't let them post anything.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Annoying yes, shocking no. The new moto X was available for pre-orders before any unboxings or reviews started.

At least the initial hands on coverage wasn't too bad, the worst is the hardware only review or extremely locked down demo modes.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Marketing 101.

Announce [thing], get hype. In this case, get a first wave of people pre-ordering said thing.
allow some time to pass
Just before the [thing] is available to buy, that's when you release the review embargo, because then there's another big news cycle on the device, which leads to more interest, more sales, etc.

It is 100% about maximizing the exposure that [thing you're announcing]. And, for better or worse, that's how it works in most cases.

It is something Apple is masterful at. announce device on tuesday, preorders start friday, review embargoes lift the following tuesday/wednesday, device is available to buy the following friday.

It's also advantageous for sites like Android Central. get a big push on the day of the announcement, another big push when the review goes up, and yet another big push around the time the device starts landing in people's hands.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else find it annoying that they unveil the phones, and then go silent? Mean while companies like LG who unveil their phone, bloggers and sites have one in the hands already to have unboxing videos already and we are left with silence. Furthermore, hey all, here is our new phone, we wont have them in your hands until everyone else gets to enjoy marshmallow before you. May just be pet peeves, but god dammit just release the reviews we know they are in their hands and Google won't let them post anything.

I saw nexus 5X on the verge reviewers hand but i guess they are not allowed to post any review untill google makes it officially released

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually the opposite. While I wish the phones were getting to us sooner, I'd rather get it in my hands at the same time or before some of the reviewers.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually the opposite. While I wish the phones were getting to us sooner, I'd rather get it in my hands at the same time or before some of the reviewers.

That's fine if you're set on what phone you're going to get. But if you're on the fence like I am, then finding out more information before you buy, especially if you have no way to check them out in person before hand, then it is very important for some of us. Right now I'm deciding between the N6p and the Moto XPE, and since neither phone is available before you buy, every bit of information helps.

I've still had no luck finding out if any of the tech sites have Nexus models in hand and are working on reviews. I'm hoping the majority will have reviews out before the 25th when the $50 Playstore credit expires. Worst case I can return both (14 days for the Moto and 15 for the N6p), bit I'd rather not mess around with that if I don't have to.

So has anyone heard any of the people at the tech sites saying if they currently have a review unit in their hands or not, because they usually take anywhere from a week to two weeks before they put out a review.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
That's fine if you're set on what phone you're going to get. But if you're on the fence like I am, then finding out more information before you buy, especially if you have no way to check them out in person before hand, then it is very important for some of us. Right now I'm deciding between the N6p and the Moto XPE, and since neither phone is available before you buy, every bit of information helps.

I've still had no luck finding out if any of the tech sites have Nexus models in hand and are working on reviews. I'm hoping the majority will have reviews out before the 25th when the $50 Playstore credit expires. Worst case I can return both (14 days for the Moto and 15 for the N6p), bit I'd rather not mess around with that if I don't have to.

So has anyone heard any of the people at the tech sites saying if they currently have a review unit in their hands or not, because they usually take anywhere from a week to two weeks before they put out a review.

That's understandable.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
We won't hear about them having devices until the embargo's are up. That's literally the entire point of embargo's. I'd bet money that they all have the phone now, but they can't talk about them.

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
We won't hear about them having devices until the embargo's are up. That's literally the entire point of embargo's. I'd bet money that they all have the phone now, but they can't talk about them.

Posted via the Android Central App

I don't need to know anything about the devices themselves right now necessarily. I'd just like to know if they have them and a ballpark idea when reviews might happen. If they don't even have them yet, then it's doubtful well see reviews before the 25th. Like I said, I wanna try to get in on the Playstore credit if I can, so I'd like to know before then. From what I have heard, both Nexus devices are launching in India like next week or the week after, so hopefully the embargo would be over by then. But it's been kinda messed up lately. Reviews for the Moto XPE came out slowly and after most people had devices in hand. Hell PhoneArena's review only came out yesterday, that's pretty bad.

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I guarantee that the review embargo will be up by the 25th. Google wants to get as much hype as possible for the nexi before the next round of phone rumors start about the Galaxy s7, which is rumored to be coming earlier than ever before, ie February release.

Tietherope

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't need to know anything about the devices themselves right now necessarily. I'd just like to know if they have them and a ballpark idea when reviews might happen. If they don't even have them yet, then it's doubtful well see reviews before the 25th. Like I said, I wanna try to get in on the Playstore credit if I can, so I'd like to know before then. From what I have heard, both Nexus devices are launching in India like next week or the week after, so hopefully the embargo would be over by then. But it's been kinda messed up lately. Reviews for the Moto XPE came out slowly and after most people had devices in hand. Hell PhoneArena's review only came out yesterday, that's pretty bad.

The Verge has a video up about Google On Tap where they have the Nexus 5X in hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I guarantee that the review embargo will be up by the 25th. Google wants to get as much hype as possible for the nexi before the next round of phone rumors start about the Galaxy s7, which is rumored to be coming earlier than ever before, ie February release.

Yes, I'd imagine a day or two before the phone officially starts shipping. Have to keep in mind that the shipping dates appear staggered based on color and internal storage size.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I've had the MXPE for over 2 weeks now and I'm returning it for the N6P. The MXPE is a good phone and the N6P seems to be everything good about the MXPE and then some. It was a no brainier for me.

The only thing the MXPE has over the N6P is an SD card so unless that's your #1 priority I say get off the fence and order the nexus already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs