6P vs Lumia 950 XL

Trym Bjerkvik

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi :)
I am trying to decide between the Nexus 6p and Lumina 950 XL... First I was going to buy the 6P, but then the 950 XL came out :p The biggest problem with 950 XL is that it runs Window... Always had Android and loves it, but heard a lot great things about Windows. What are you're thoughts?
---Windows VS Andoid---
---6P VS 950 XL---

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
What apps do you use? I'd suggest checking the Windows Phone Store to see if those apps are available. Many popular apps such as Snapchat are not available for Windows Phone.

Do you use any Google Apps? Other than search, there are no Google Apps for Windows Phone.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I am trying to decide between the Nexus 6p and Lumina 950 XL... First I was going to buy the 6P, but then the 950 XL came out :p The biggest problem with 950 XL is that it runs Window... Always had Android and loves it, but heard a lot great things about Windows. What are you're thoughts?
---Windows VS Andoid---
---6P VS 950 XL---

Depends on your needs really. I'm switching over from WP not because I don't like it but because I like to be on the bleeding edge a little more... and that's definitely Android. If it weren't for wearable support and a few apps missing I'd have gladly stayed!!! Windows is a beautiful OS on the phone.

Muessig

Retired Moderator
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It really depends on your needs - like Laura said check out the apps first and make sure you are ready for what you decide.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Like you said Windows and apps is the problem.

Windows is not even mature. All they did was rebooting and redesign the platform.
So you will miss a lot of feature from the os itself.

Imo the build quality of 950 is crap. Nexus 6p is beautiful

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I am trying to decide between the Nexus 6p and Lumina 950 XL.

Wait until a few detailed reviews of both the 6P and the 950XL show up before you try to pick a winner. Both phones are still basically unknown quantities. Beyond that, did you really think you'd get any votes for a Lumia phone here on a Nexus 6P forum?

Apps or no apps, though, I'm also curious about the 950XL. I especially want to see what DxOMark does with it. It'll be cool if it's the first smartphone camera to break 90 on their scorecard.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
---Windows VS Andoid---
---6P VS 950 XL---

That's like saying "I want the car, but I hate the transmission, engine, and performance"

Get the Nexus

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site

Windows is not even mature. All they did was rebooting and redesign the platform.

Have you held the phone in person? You do realise the entire back frame and sides can be swapped, so you could swap the default polycarbonate build for a metal frame and leather back which would drastically change the "build quality"

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
---Windows VS Andoid---
---6P VS 950 XL---

I think both are great devices, but for me nexus takes it. Tried WP in the past and just wasn't my cup of tea.

mc511

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Actually i think the phone will actually run really well. Build quality aside because its plastic, that snapdragon will probably get cooled better because of water cooling inside the phone which sounds really neat.

pure_anything

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I tried the 950XL in a microsoft outlet yesterday. I must confess I don't buy apps either from iTunes or Google Play. I use my phone for browsing, photos+videos and phone/SMS. But, want the best for these.
Though I really wanted to like the 950XL, I came out a bit disappointed. The browsing experience was good. The phone build was OK (was expecting more - felt a bit too light for my taste). But, when I tried to browse the photos, the app crashed twice, and once, it too forever for the thumbnails to show up.. I also experienced some UI lags. (All these within 10 mins).
I sincerely hope when the phone ships, it will ship with a better software build. So, I'll wait before deciding between 950XL/6P/iPhone 6s+.
The software quality was what drove me away from Windows with laptops.. Looks like it is going to be a repeat..
BTW, I currently have Nexus 5.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually i think the phone will actually run really well. Build quality aside because its plastic, that snapdragon will probably get cooled better because of water cooling inside the phone which sounds really neat.

Until you drop the phone, the reservoir holding the water breaks and fries the internals due to water damage.

I'm not saying this is likely to happen, but I would be very curious to see exactly how many cases of something similar pop up after this phone enters the wild. Liquid cooling on a mobile device is a neat concept but doesnt seem like a very smart thing to do.