fabian bonifacio

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm a bit confused about this T-Mobile support for the new nexus devices, what exactly does it mean, if I purchase the 6p and put my T-Mobile chip in it what exactly am I gonna be lacking

Posted via the Android Central App

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
We don't know for sure yet. Best case, nothing. Worst case, Band 12, VoLTE, and WiFi calling. And of course since T-Mobile doesn't sell the device, if something goes wrong with it they probably won't help you.

fabian bonifacio

May 16, 2015
Visit site
That's why I've been holding off on pre orders I want the 6P ive had my nexus 5 for so long im dying for It (lol), but what good is it gonna be if I install my chip and and I can only use my phone when I have wifi

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Well that definitely won't be the case. We know it supports all the T-Mobile radio bands; it's just not confirmed yet that it will pass carrier certification to have Band 12 activated.

fabian bonifacio

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I must be living under a rock but what is band 12? Lol and how is it different then then the normal connection plans, because my nexus 5 is prepaid I like the idea of having full usage without a contract

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Your N5 doesn't have Band 12 support, so even if the 6P isn't approved (for the record I expect it will be, but stuff is weird sometimes and I wouldn't want to make false promises) you won't be any worse off service-wise than you are now. Band 12 is just another radio frequency that T-Mobile uses to provide LTE signal, but for safety and regulatory reasons involving making sure that 911 calls go through properly, T-Mobile has to approve devices to use Band 12 on its network.

fabian bonifacio

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Oooh well now, that changes everything, I've had T-Mobile for as long as I can remember now, I never had any issues with service thanks a lot for your response, this really helps!

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
T-mobile's band 12 is part of their low frequency buy where they are implementing voice over LTE (aka VoLTE). I believe this is 750mhz which does a much better job penetrating signal through walls. They are still deploying band 12, but they are on a pretty aggressive schedule. For T-mobile, this is a huge part of their coverage play.

I, too, believe Google and T-mobile will have this sorted out in the next 30-90 days, but that's just my hunch. T-mobile is saying WiFi calling will work at launch.

Check out this article :
http://www.tmonews.com/2015/09/goog...n-nexus-5x-and-6p-by-the-time-that-they-ship/

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm I'm really interested in that article saying that Tmobile announced that wifi calling would work on the two nexus by launch. I have never heard of a non-tmobile phone supporting wifi calling (the nexus 5 definitely wouldn't).

While this is pretty cool, I had major major issues with wifi calling on my Htc One m8. Signal would randomly switch from wifi to cellular and back again, dropping everything I was doing (including calls) and making the phone unusable for a few seconds. Most annoyingly, I could not send MMS over wifi and had to either turn wifi off or disable wifi calling every time I wanted to send a picture via text. And, any texting service (like mightytext) that allows me to text from my desktop or tablet wouldn't register any texts as "sent", even though often they did (but I could never tell for sure until the person responded). For the past few months I've left wifi calling off and my life has been so much better. Voice quality has also been way better since turning off wifi calling.

So, my question is...will any of this be improved on these new phones since they are much improved hardware? Anyone have other tmobile wifi calling experience to make me want to use it again? Will mms finally work??

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
T-mobile's band 12 is part of their low frequency buy where they are implementing voice over LTE (aka VoLTE).

VoLTE is enabled over non-band 12 LTE as well. Just want to point that out since it isn't band 12 only for VoLTE.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Hmmmm I'm really interested in that article saying that Tmobile announced that wifi calling would work on the two nexus by launch. I have never heard of a non-tmobile phone supporting wifi calling (the nexus 5 definitely wouldn't).

While this is pretty cool, I had major major issues with wifi calling on my Htc One m8. Signal would randomly switch from wifi to cellular and back again, dropping everything I was doing (including calls) and making the phone unusable for a few seconds. Most annoyingly, I could not send MMS over wifi and had to either turn wifi off or disable wifi calling every time I wanted to send a picture via text. And, any texting service (like mightytext) that allows me to text from my desktop or tablet wouldn't register any texts as "sent", even though often they did (but I could never tell for sure until the person responded). For the past few months I've left wifi calling off and my life has been so much better. Voice quality has also been way better since turning off wifi calling.

So, my question is...will any of this be improved on these new phones since they are much improved hardware? Anyone have other tmobile wifi calling experience to make me want to use it again? Will mms finally work??

The Nexus 6 has wifi calling working on tmoible. Mine was purchased from Amazon and wifi calling worked fine after I put in the tmoible sim. It actually worked a lot better than the Note 4 I had before the Nexus 6. I returned the phone within 30 days once I pre-ordered my 5X.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I must be living under a rock but what is band 12? Lol and how is it different then then the normal connection plans, because my nexus 5 is prepaid I like the idea of having full usage without a contract

Google has said they are working hard with T-Mobile to have Band 12 and Wi-Fi Calling enabled by the time the phone launches.. If you are still on the Nexus 5 everything should be pretty much exactly the same (Connectivity wise on their network.. does the Nexus 5 have WiFi calling???) Band 12 is a weird monster at least for me in DFW, Texas. It greatly improved my overall coverage specially inside buildings with the Nexus 6 but my overall speeds are down when on 12.. There are spots I use to get a weaker (Band 4 I think) signal but had faster speeds than on Band 12.... At work I am very happy to have band 12 but in a lot of places I usually venture out to band 12 is slower overall....

I have not had a problem just putting my SIM card in any other phone I've tried out over the two years I've been on T-Mobile... It's just business as usual for the most part.....

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Also these phones are Project Fi compatible. Fi uses T-Mobile and Sprint. It makes sense that they will support full T-Mobile coverage including WiFi calling.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
If you are still on the Nexus 5 everything should be pretty much exactly the same (Connectivity wise on their network..

Did the Nexus 5 (unlocked one sold by google) really have all the proper Tmobile bands? I ask because when I moved across town to where I live now about a year ago, my Nexus 5 couldn't pick up signal ANYWHERE indoors. No signal in my apartment what so ever, even by the window. No signal where I worked, no signal in any restaurant or stores, and only outdoors could I get any decent service. Eventually got an htc one m8 (from tmobile) because I needed something with wifi calling if I wasn't going to have any service in my area..but...surprise surprise, my One m8 got Tmobile service indoors just fine in all those places my Nexus 5 didn't work at all.

I figured there must have been some Tmobile frequency band that my Nexus 5 was missing that resulted in it not being able to get any signal indoors. Unless the N5 just had a crappy antennae?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Did the Nexus 5 (unlocked one sold by google) really have all the proper Tmobile bands?

I believe the Nexus 5 had everything except band 12....... I used that device on T-Mobile for a year and it worked pretty darn good in about 90% of the places I typically visited... It was horrible for coverage in my building/work but even Verizon stinks in my building... Just about everywhere else I typically visited it worked just fine.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Also these phones are Project Fi compatible. Fi uses T-Mobile and Sprint. It makes sense that they will support full T-Mobile coverage including WiFi calling.

Right... Expect 100% compatibility with all of T-Mobile's bands sooner than later. T-Mo just wants to qualify the phone before it officially blesses it. I am sure that, given Google's relationship with T-Mobile, owners are not going to have many troubles.

dcrandon

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit confused about if T-Mobile is going to eventually sell it. Google announced it was only available online and not in stores (which i took to mean no big box electronic stores). But nobody, including T-Mobile has specifically said that T-Mobile won't sell it in stores or online, is this correct?

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Sales through outside retailers haven't been ruled out but neither has Google stated what retailers will carry the phone. So it's definitely maybe, for sure.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5 everything should be pretty much exactly the same (Connectivity wise on their network.. does the Nexus 5 have WiFi calling???).

I bought a Nexus 5 last year from Tmobile at one of their stores, and when I asked was told it does NOT have wifi calling. I believe this to be true, as the year I was with Tmobile I wa sin plenty of buildings with really bad or no reception, but even though I was connected to wifi in the building I could not make or receive calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith