Chargers Out There

Status
Not open for further replies.

K_O

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my 6P and while I'm waiting for it I started to look at what else I needed. Two things on my list are a travel charger (basically just another wall charger to keep in my travel bag) and a car charger. So I went to amazon and really couldn't find anything given the rapid charging standard used by the Nexus.

I wanted to start a thread to allow people to post when/where they find valid chargers (i.e. that use the rapid charge standard) but not directly from Google cuz their phones might be cheap but their accessories are way overpriced).

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought this one last week, which makes me sad because I have the charger and no type-c devices, but it does have a usb plug to charge other devices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4744396

Despite not having the phone, it came at a good time because my old car charger broke, my LG G3 decided to stop reading sim cards and I am unfortunately stuck using an iPhone 5S, I can say that it charged the iPhone fine through the built in USB connection.

K_O

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought this one last week, which makes me sad because I have the charger and no type-c devices, but it does have a usb plug to charge other devices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4744841

Despite not having the phone, it came at a good time because my old car charger broke, my LG G3 decided to stop reading sim cards and I am unfortunately stuck using an iPhone 5S, I can say that it charged the iPhone fine through the built in USB connection.

Looks nice. Good to have the additional USB-A connection but doesn't seem to adhere to the Nexus parameters (i.e. Volts/Amps) for rapid charging (at least according to the Nexus specs). Probably will work but won't charge as fast.

smitts

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Will be following along. I went ahead and bought some QC2.0 chargers like an ***** because I wasn't paying attention. I too need a travel charger and car charger. Would love to get an external battery as well but my guess is that will take some time.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
USB power delivery 2.0 at 5V/3A

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition (32GB Bamboo) XT1575

Did I miss a confirmation that the 6P uses USB 3.1? The Nexus Team AMA said the 6P and 5X use USB 2.0 with Type C connector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#PD

USB Power Delivery 2.0 was released with the USB 3.1 spec.

USB Power Delivery[edit]
USB Power Delivery profiles
Profile+5 V+12 V+20 V
12.0 A, 10 W [g]N/AN/A
21.5 A, 18 WN/A
33.0 A, 36 WN/A
43.0 A, 60 W
55.0 A, 60 W5.0 A, 100 W
In July 2012, the USB Promoters Group announced the finalization of the USB Power Delivery ("PD") specification, an extension that specifies using certified "PD aware" USB cables with standard USB type A and B connectors to deliver increased power (more than 7.5 W) to devices with larger power demand. Devices can request higher currents and supply voltages from compliant hosts – up to 2 A at 5 V (for a power consumption of up to 10 W), and optionally up to 3 A or 5 A at either 12 V (36 W or 60 W) or 20 V (60 W or 100 W).[97] In all cases, both host-to-device and device-to-host configurations are supported.[98]

The intent is to permit uniformly charging laptops, tablets, USB-powered disks and similarly higher power consumer electronics, as a natural extension of existing European and Chinese mobile telephone charging standards. This may also affect the way electric power used for small devices is transmitted and used in both residential and public buildings.[57][99]

The Power Delivery specification defines six fixed power profiles for the power sources. PD-aware devices implement a flexible power management scheme by interfacing with the power source through a bidirectional data channel and requesting a certain level of electrical power, variable up to 5 A and 20 V depending on supported profile. The power configuration protocol uses a 24 MHz BFSK-coded transmission channel on the VBUS line.

The USB Power Delivery revision 2.0 specification has been released as part of the USB 3.1 suite.[100] It covers the Type-C cable and connector with four power/ground pairs and a separate configuration channel, which now hosts a DC coupled low-frequency BMC-coded data channel that reduces the possibilities for RF interference.[101] Power Delivery protocols have been updated to facilitate Type-C features such as cable ID function, Alternate Mode negotiation, increased VBUS currents, and VCONN-powered accessories.

Posted via the Android Central App

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay... so I need enlightenment. Would this charger then be considered a Fast Charger for the Nexus 6p?

USB Charger/Wall Charger,Dual USB Travel Wall Charger, Hikeren 5V/3A 15W Universal Portable **Mini 2-port Power Adapter Charger**
Amazon.com: USB Charger/Wall Charger,Dual USB Travel Wall Charger, Hikeren 5V/3A 15W Universal Portable **Mini 2-port Power Adapter Charger** with Foldable Plug for iPhone 6, 6 Plus,most other USB devices (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I don't think so it's highest rated output is 2.1 AMP, needs 3 Amp, I also think the A Type output on the charger also means that it won't "Fast Charge". I think for any charger to get the "Fast Charge" with out new Nexus's, it has to be 5V/3AMP/ over a USB-C connection on both ends. I may very well be wrong, but that's my interpretation. Certainly open for correction if this is not the case.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Just read a great article describing the technology for the Nexus 6p (sorry if it has already been posted)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3npsfw/usb_type_c_charging_what_we_know_and_dont/

Looks like we won't really know completely until the phone ships whether or not PD2.0 compliance is required on the charger in order for it to negotiate higher than 15w output.

"When announcing the Nexus 6P Google’s Dave Burke said, “the Nexus 6P can charge fully in about half the time as the iPhone 6 Plus.” It’s a vague comment, but thankfully AnandTech is peerless in its testing rigor. The iPhone 6 Plus comes with a 5W charger (likely 5V 1A), and charges ~3.2 hours. So we're looking at a ballpark charge time of ~1.6 hours for the Nexus 6P (Edit: which was later confirmed in the Nexus Product Team AMA to be 97 minutes, thanks /u/eMinja ). Unfortunately Burke doesn’t explicitly state what kind of Apple charger, as the iPhone is known to charge faster with an iPad charger (5V 2.4A), and charging at ~2A is really the standard by which power users (/r/android) judges fast charging by.
For comparison’s sake, the Nexus 6 (3220mAh) with its 15W QC2.0 OEM charger is tested by AnandTech to fully charge in 1.9 hours, so in theory, fast charging with PD2.0 on the Nexus 6P may take a little less time to fully charge (~1.6 hours) on a slightly larger battery. In other words, it looks like there is comparable performance between QC2.0 and PD2.0 15W chargers."

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
FYI:

Christie B 12:12 PM
Hi htowngator! Thanks for getting in touch with Google! My name is Christie. How are you today?
me 12:13 PM
Christie, I'm good thank you
I'm just wondering when I will be able to order chargers for my Nexus 6p... This shows "not available" but I was curious when I could order it? https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store.google.com/us/?hl=en-US&token=Erj1idlG
Christie B 12:16 PM
No worries! Let me take a look into your question.
It looks like it will be available next Monday for purchase.
me 12:16 PM
thank you
Google Support 12:17 PM
Thanks for chatting!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't buy a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 charger for either Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P and expect charging as fast as Quick Charge. Too many unanswered questions right now.

kcoan3

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Just got 2 of the long OnePlus usb c cables in the mail yesterday. (on there website it didnt even say that it shipped....) The cables look very nice and well built. Im wondering what power brick i need to use with the nexus to get the same charging speed as the cable it comes with.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
you'd need a power brick that says it can do 3A output. I don't know of any USB Type A power bricks that currently do 3A. Google is in new territory going with a max 3A on the 6P

Status
Not open for further replies.