Amoled Screen burn in is back!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Stock Android and Amoled just don't mix.

After the Galaxy Nexus, I've owned several Samsung phones, including S3, S4, S5, Note 2, Note 3, and now the Note 5. All are AMOLED, but none of them had any hint of AMOLED burn-in problem. (knock on wood, since I still own all them) This leads to me to believe that Samsung supplied Motorola and other manufacturers with inferior AMOLED screen... or is that even possible? :(

My S4, S5, Note 3 and Note 4 all have permanent alarm icons and 18:88 burned in at the clock.

Samsung said their panels didn't get ghosted, burned in images. If anyone on the Internet said anything different, the Samsung army went off and told them how wrong they were.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
If I've got this right 1 person said the words burn in and this thread is blowing up and everyone's freaking out?

And the witch hunt continues....

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
My S4, S5, Note 3 and Note 4 all have permanent alarm icons and 18:88 burned in at the clock.

Samsung said their panels didn't get ghosted, burned in images. If anyone on the Internet said anything different, the Samsung army went off and told them how wrong they were.

sorry to hear that. :( I guess I just got luck. Only had burn in on the ancient Galaxy Nexus.
on my subsequent phones S3/S4/S5, Note 2/3/4/5, I always made sure the screen don't
stay static for too long.

Check out the display Samsung S or Note phones at VZW corporate stores or Best Buy.
Even the brand new Note 5 had SEVERE permanent burn-in just a week after they came
out. The scary one was the old Note 4 that I saw at Verizon earlier this year. Some
customer took a picture and left the photo displayed. I guess the employees didn't notice
and nobody else played with the phone. The customer's face was burned into the screen
like a ghost.... spooky. :( (although store display units dont' count, since they are on
all day long)

kind of like this one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usSOke6p8ig

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not naive, just making sure there wasn't something I missed.

There's plenty of this going on, the 810 over heating thread at least died off.

or the Pengate situation with the Note 5. (although Pengate talk is forbidden on AndroidCentral right now, as numerous threads talking about either got deleted or closed almost immediately)

and don't get me started on the Project Fi SIM card fiasco.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad that we have the Android Central cowboy to ruffle some feathers

AMOLED burn-in never went away. People just stopped talking about it because Samsung told them to stop talking about it.

FWIW, I run at 100% brightness and have no burn in. Everyone I have talked to with a review phone has no burn in.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
All displays will 'burn in'... they all do it in one way or another. Every single one of these displays has a shelf life... those pixels can only work for so long before they start to fade. The brighter your screen, the more static it is, the quicker you will see it degrade. Sammys have no nav bar, so you'll most likely only see issues up by the status bar. Anyone with a phone they've used for a while... its there. There are some parts of your screen that have degraded quicker than others.... you just haven't noticed.

I've have my nexus 6 for about 11 months now....constant use. And the area where my nav bar usually sits is a wee bit brighter than the screen next to it. But I can only see it under a select number of conditions and the brightness set juuuust right. Sure, if i paint my screen gray, it'll pop a bit more, but I don't sit there, looking at a gray screen an lament my life. The only time I see it is if I go looking for it.

Stop worrying so much.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I never recall having burn in with my very first smartphone, the Galaxy S2. It's been my only phone with an AMOLED display.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I was trying to be a nice guy! I just figured that maybe if we could heat up the overheating threads, you might not be So Cold anymore. ;)

Not exactly related to the 6P, but my new double-DIN Pioneer Android Auto receiver's screen stays purple-ish until the car is warmed up. It's worse when parked outside overnight in 35-degree weather last week. The purple goes back to normal only after I drove the car for almost 10 minutes with the heater at high.(so the cabin was warm)

I went back to the installer and he told that was normal. I didn't think so... I insisted that he replace it with another unit. He asked the manager and they acted like they were doing me a favor. Well... the replacement unit didn't have that problem, so I felt vindicated!

(not actual photo... but on the first one that I got, the white background on the screen would be all purple when the car was parked overnight in cold temps)
g1304100NEX-o_overview.jpg

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what's false about that, was only speaking of amoled which CAN have burn-in. Yes, other display technologies can get it as well.

Sorry, I was tired and read inherent as isolated, meaning I thought you were saying only AMOLED screens got burn in.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
All displays will 'burn in'... they all do it in one way or another. Every single one of these displays has a shelf life... those pixels can only work for so long before they start to fade. The brighter your screen, the more static it is, the quicker you will see it degrade. Sammys have no nav bar, so you'll most likely only see issues up by the status bar. Anyone with a phone they've used for a while... its there. There are some parts of your screen that have degraded quicker than others.... you just haven't noticed.

I've have my nexus 6 for about 11 months now....constant use. And the area where my nav bar usually sits is a wee bit brighter than the screen next to it. But I can only see it under a select number of conditions and the brightness set juuuust right. Sure, if i paint my screen gray, it'll pop a bit more, but I don't sit there, looking at a gray screen an lament my life. The only time I see it is if I go looking for it.

Stop worrying so much.

Depends on the level of burn in. My S3 has it so bad from the status bar in landscape that I have a bright strip down the right side of the screen, and it's very noticeable on anything, webpages, pictures, even the home screen.

Like I said, if you catch it starting to happen, changes things up a bit so what ever is burning in isn't there anymore (move icons, change screen orientation 180°, etc).

brgulker

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty nervous about this as well. I was completely sold on the 6P...until I heard it was AMOLED. For me, it was a huge, massive disappointment. I had burn in on my Galaxy Nexus and S3, and then I decided I only wanted LCD devices moving forward.

I also really want a fingerprint sensor and a Nexus flagship. So torn.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s