T-Mobile Band 12 is Supported on Project Fi

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Confirmed that the Nexus 6P supports T-Mobile Band 12. See screenshot attached.

Received my 6P this afternoon, and my Project Fi sim card on Friday. Activated and ported my number in less than 5 minutes. Works like a charm, and the phone is truly amazing!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20151026-180158.jpg
    Screenshot_20151026-180158.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Band 12 is Supported

That's awesome! I guess that extra week made all the difference in getting T-Mobile certified since the 5X doesn't support band 12 out of the box.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

That's indeed great news! I know a lot of people were concerned about that.

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site

That's awesome! I guess that extra week made all the difference in getting T-Mobile certified since the 5X doesn't support band 12 out of the box.

Is there anything that needs to be done for the 6P or 5X to turn on Band 12 or is it automatic?

Posted via the Android Central App

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I got this email from Project Fi a few weeks ago. I ordered and recieved the sim this morning. I wonder if it has something to do with band 12.

In addition to adding the new Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P phones to our device lineup, we've also transitioned to using all-new SIM cards for Project Fi.
Do you need a new SIM?
Your existing SIM card will continue to work in the original Nexus 6. You'll need a new SIM card for the Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P if you plan to use it on the Project Fi network.
How to get a new SIM
If your new Nexus phone didn't come from Project Fi, just visit fi.google.com/order-sim to place your order.

toyanucci

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

I heard that most people got an OTA on the 6P yesterday...maybe that's what the update was for!

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Actually I just realized this was on Project Fi. Anyone on T-Mobile proper confirm band 12 as well?

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Is there anything that needs to be done for the 6P or 5X to turn on Band 12 or is it automatic?

Posted via the Android Central App

I heard that most people got an OTA on the 6P yesterday...maybe that's what the update was for!

I didn't have to do anything to activate Band 12. I just happened to notice it while I was driving to the gym last night, and again at the gym. I did get an OTA update, but that was after I had been connected to Band 12.

evolvedsapien

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Confirmed that the Nexus 6P supports T-Mobile Band 12. See screenshot attached.

Received my 6P this afternoon, and my Project Fi sim card on Friday. Activated and ported my number in less than 5 minutes. Works like a charm, and the phone is truly amazing!
I'm confused and maybe you or someone else reading this can shed light on my confusion. You mentioned receiving a "Project Fi sim-card" ... can I not pop in my T-Mobile nano-sim card that I'm currently using in my iPhone 6 into my Nexus 6 ? Or do I specifically need a "Propject Fi sim-card" ?

Also ... how do I get a Project Fi sim-card?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

I'm confused and maybe you or someone else reading this can shed light on my confusion. You mentioned receiving a "Project Fi sim-card" ... can I not pop in my T-Mobile nano-sim card that I'm currently using in my iPhone 6 into my Nexus 6 ? Or do I specifically need a "Propject Fi sim-card" ?

Do you want to be on Project Fi, or are you staying on Tmobile? If you're on Tmobile, you pop in your tmobile nano-sim and you'll be on Tmobile. If you want to be on Project Fi, then you would need a project fi sim card.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Do you want to be on Project Fi, or are you staying on Tmobile? If you're on Tmobile, you pop in your tmobile nano-sim and you'll be on Tmobile. If you want to be on Project Fi, then you would need a project fi sim card.

I think they are confused on what Project Fi is.

Yes you can use your Tmobile sim and you'll be good to go.

If you are curious on project fi just google it or go to https://fi.google.com/about/

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Does VoLTE work for you ? What happens when you make a call while on B12 ?

Didn't try it while on Band 12. When I was on Band 4 and made a call, my data switched to HSPA. Does VoLTE only work on Band 12? I'll try later, but right now I'm on Sprint LTE.

I know AT&T recently launched VoLTE in my area, since my work iPhone now stays connected to LTE when I place calls.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

Didn't try it while on Band 12. When I was on Band 4 and made a call, my data switched to HSPA. Does VoLTE only work on Band 12? I'll try later, but right now I'm on Sprint LTE.

I know AT&T recently launched VoLTE in my area, since my work iPhone now stays connected to LTE when I place calls.

No, VoLTE will work on any T-Mobile LTE band, which is typically band 4, though also can be 2 or 12.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I think this thread has gotten a bit confusing. So all we have right now is confirmation band 12 works on Project Fi as the OP isn't on T-Mobile but Project Fi which uses T-Mobile's network. Last I checked though Project Fi didn't support VoLTE. I think we are still waiting on confirmation of band 12 on T-Mobile proper.

Confirmed no band 12 for actual T-Mobile customers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3qfpy7/no_band_12_on_nexus_6p/

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Does VoLTE only work on Band 12?

It should -- especially if the phone is connecting to Band 12. It was only disabled in phones that had issues making a call while on Band 12 since this could prevent someone from calling 911.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

It should -- especially if the phone is connecting to Band 12. It was only disabled in phones that had issues making a call while on Band 12 since this could prevent someone from calling 911.

You seem to have that, or at least described it, backward. Because low frequencies travel farther than higher frequencies (band 12 is a low frequency, bands 2 and 4 are high frequency), in some areas on T-Mobile you might only be able to get Band 12. Since Band 12 is LTE only, 2G and 3G are on Bands 2 and 4, you might be in a situation where you can only make a call if VoLTE works -- you can't drop down and make a call on 2G or 3G. Band 12 is opening up new areas for T-Mobile because of it's range, where they didn't previously have service -- and where it would be very expensive (and likely unneeded) for T-Mobile to build new towers. By contrast, if you have an LTE connection on Band 4 and can't make a phone call, you should be able to drop down to 2G or 3G to make it if the phone doesn't support VoLTE.

Because of this, the FCC has had some manufacturers disable (Motorola) disable Band 12 on phones that weren't VoLTE certified with T-Mobile; as, since you can't drop down, you'll show you have a connection, and can even get data, but can't make a phone call. More particularly (and the reason the FCC cares), you won't be able to call 911. Since the phone "has a connection", it won't "roam" trying to make a 911 call as it normally would, if you had no connection.

So, to repeat, VoLTE can work on any band over LTE; but it is critical on Band 12 as you might not be able to drop down to 2G or 3G to make a call -- meaning at those times you can only make a call using VoLTE.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You seem to have that, or at least described it, backward. Because low frequencies travel farther than higher frequencies (band 12 is a low frequency, bands 2 and 4 are high frequency), in some areas on T-Mobile you might only be able to get Band 12. Since Band 12 is LTE only, 2G and 3G are on Bands 2 and 4, you might be in a situation where you can only make a call if VoLTE works -- you can't drop down and make a call on 2G or 3G. Band 12 is opening up new areas for T-Mobile because of it's range, where they didn't previously have service -- and where it would be very expensive (and likely unneeded) for T-Mobile to build new towers. By contrast, if you have an LTE connection on Band 4 and can't make a phone call, you should be able to drop down to 2G or 3G to make it if the phone doesn't support VoLTE.

Because of this, the FCC has had some manufacturers disable (Motorola) disable Band 12 on phones that weren't VoLTE certified with T-Mobile; as, since you can't drop down, you'll show you have a connection, and can even get data, but can't make a phone call. More particularly (and the reason the FCC cares), you won't be able to call 911. Since the phone "has a connection", it won't "roam" trying to make a 911 call as it normally would, if you had no connection.

Where did I have it "Backwards"? I never once said anything about the range on Band 12 or anything of that nature. I simply was commenting on the fact that it is good Band 12 works on the Nexus 6P since it doesn't on my Moto X Pure Edition until it gets past this certification. Since if it doesn't have this certification you can run into the "no phone calls work" issue.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Where did I have it "Backwards"? I never once said anything about the range on Band 12 or anything of that nature. I simply was commenting on the fact that it is good Band 12 works on the Nexus 6P since it doesn't on my Moto X Pure Edition until it gets past this certification. Since if it doesn't have this certification you can run into the "no phone calls work" issue.

I also think it should be noted that band 12 only works with a Project Fi SIM. It's been widely confirmed on Reddit that with a T-Mobile SIM there is no band 12 support yet as just like with the Moto X Pure we are waiting on T-Mobile to certify it. Perhaps a Mod can adjust the subject of this thread to clarify.

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site

I also think it should be noted that band 12 only works with a Project Fi SIM. It's been widely confirmed on Reddit that with a T-Mobile SIM there is no band 12 support yet as just like with the Moto X Pure we are waiting on T-Mobile to certify it. Perhaps a Mod can adjust the subject of this thread to clarify.

This is correct, T-Mobile Band 12 works on a 6P with a Project Fi sim...if a mod wants to modify the thread title, I'm cool with that. Sorry for any confusion!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87