Love the phone! Some initial thoughts

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes I did, but I tried to wait for some reviews on it prior to buying. After I found out that there was an embargo on reviews, I decided to risk it and order, but they were out of stock by then. With Huawei, I was told that all support would have to be through them. When I found out that only applied to hardware issues, I went to order from them and they were out of stock as well. They've also had a month to build up stock, and apparently they had stock to begin with when ordering commenced. We're not talking iPhone numbers here, and Huawei is the fifth largest OEM in the world.

This is the first I'd heard that OP is dropping the OP2, from all I'd read the mini was to be sold along side it. The only thing they've discontinued is the OP1.

Thought I had heard that they were closing down the list to new people and focusing on just those. Maybe I misheard.

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I lucked out and the graphite 128GB came in stock today (not sure if it still is) and ordered it, then cancelled my aluminium 64GB. I can't recall if it was in this thread or another, but whoever posted about the Store Stock Checker app, THANK YOU. I would've never gotten it had that app not alerted me that they were back in stock. Can't wait for my baby to arrive!

I'm almost feeling the way I did when I was in the threads waiting for the original Droid Incredible to launch (first smartphone).

Daniel Mott

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I like the phone so far, haven't had to much time to take any pictures with it. I like the speed of it compared to my Note 4. The apps feel like they come up much quicker. The battery life has been very good so far. It was really easy to get it activated at Verizon, brought in the box and everything which I think was easier for them but it only took about 5 minutes. I am not liking the ambient display that much right now. It feels like it only works for me about every other time I pick up the phone or bump it to see if I what notification I have. Adaptive brightness is taking a little time to get used to after coming from phones that I used auto brightness on all the time. Overall very happy with my purchase and glad I don't have to wait for Verizon to approve updates anymore.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Looking forward to receiving my phone. Can the phone be used and remain on charge, or does charging halt everytime the screen is turned on? That's one thing I hate about this S3.

6stringriffs

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I just happen to check the Google store and lo & behold they were accepting orders for a black 128GB one. SO I placed my order. Delivery says by Nov 20 though.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Looking forward to receiving my phone. Can the phone be used and remain on charge, or does charging halt everytime the screen is turned on? That's one thing I hate about this S3.

I was using mine while it was still charging up and it continued to charge fine.

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
48 hours with my Nexus 6P! Here's what I think

To those of you still waiting for your 6P, hang in there. This phone is incredible. 48 hours is by no means long enough to provide detailed impressions but like others, I'm eager to share my experience thus far.

The 6P's size and form factor is lightyears ahead of the N6. The N6's ultimate pitfall was its width. Holding the N6 while getting onto the subway or fiddling with car keys was an absolute nightmare sometimes. Taking quick photos with the N6 was also an unwieldy experience. And the N6 wobbles when placed upright on a table. All of these qualms and quirks are gone with the 6P. What I love the most is how easy it is to hold the 6P. Using this thing on the subway and around New York City has been a delight. It has a very iPhone-esque form factor and that's not a bad thing.

There's so much convenience baked into this phone. Nexus Imprint is blazing fast. The fingerprint scanner's placement is genius. Yes, when placed upright on the table, you have to turn the phone on traditionally. But at least the phone lays flat. Then, there's double pressing on the home button to launch the camera. Again, blazing fast. I took my 6P out to take some photos around the city and I was so impressed at how easy it was to take my phone out of my pocket and take pictures. Finally, point-and-shoot means point-and-shoot.

The front-facing speakers are loud and crisp. I mean it. It's fantastic and outside of maybe HTC, unparalleled. It does laps around the N6's front-facing speakers.

The 6P charges very fast and does not appear to lose significant battery life overnight. I just need to condition myself to stop charging my phone overnight (this was one of the benefits of slow wireless charging) but at least there's rapid charging (Google even reminds you that your phone is "Charging rapidly" on the lock screen). In 30 minutes, I went from 15% battery life to 62%. Blazing fast. I can already sense that USB-C will get annoying when I forget my charger at home but hopefully the combination of a big battery and Doze will keep things going.

Simply put--loving this phone. It's also gorgeous and very much premium. I know the wait is a struggle so if anyone has any questions about the phone or anything they'd like to see, let me know. I'm running my 6P on Sprint and have the 32GB model in Aluminium.

iamloco724

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: 48 hours with my Nexus 6P! Here's what I think

Love hearing reports like this, im from NYC as well I just ordered the exact same config tonight. My only concern going into this is im not usually a fan of AMOLED screens but everything else sounded so good on this phone that im going to give it a go.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

Nice, glad to hear as I wait patiently for my frost white..

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Yes, you can use the phone while it's charging. I've found that it charges faster than the amount I'm using.

Glad you all were able to snag an order. You'll definitely enjoy it. The more I use it, the more I love it.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Love hearing reports like this, im from NYC as well I just ordered the exact same config tonight. My only concern going into this is im not usually a fan of AMOLED screens but everything else sounded so good on this phone that im going to give it a go.

If you're looking for a more LCD like color calibration, the option is there in Developer Options according to reports. If you don't currently have Developer Options, you usually have to go to the About Phone section (last option in Settings) and scroll down until you find the Build Number. IIRC you press it like 6-7 times (a pop-up message will appear telling you how many more presses after 2 or 3 presses) and now you'll see Developer Options either just above or below About Phone on the Settings page. The mode you'll want to look for is called sRGB mode, and from what I've read it makes the colors less punchy, more like what you see on an LCD display. Worst case try it out and if you don't like it switch back. Hope that helps.

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site

I didn't find it to be very slippery to hold. I have a case on it now...

Yeah, I don't find it slippery either.

The metal is pretty grippy in my opinion. I've never had any doubts about it slipping out of my hands. It's narrow enough for me that I can mostly use it one-handed unless there's something I need at the very top of the display.

I don't find the phone slippery at all even without a case. I played around with it for 1/2 a day without a case with no issues at all. But at the same time coming from the Motorola Nexus 6 the 6p feels dramatically lighter and thinner.. I had no major issue using the Nexus 6 one handed and now two days into the 6p it's a breeze to use one handed. It's only I think 6 grams lighter but I think the combination of having a reduced width and thinner build it makes it feel a lot smaller than it really is.......

It's all subjective I guess. People are going to have different experiences... I just pulled mine out the case and played around with it and I stand by my "It's not slippery at all" remarks...

Thanks for the reassurance that it is not slippery when used naked.

It is much less slippery than a hagfish, but for a phone, I would not say it is grippy in any way shape or form. Not saying this has been a problem for me, but if you're expecting it to be grippy, you'll be disappointed. My LG G3 would happily sit on an open palm at 45 degrees and go nowhere. This phone is not going to do that, unless you've got really sticky hands.

This seems quite balanced - I think I will just have to wait and see. I am upgrading from an N4 (which I used naked - extremely good coating on the screen and the glass back yet looks gorgeous and unique so why should I use a case? It yet has no scratches on the screen and very minor scratches on the glass back) which had some sort of rubberised plastic on the sides which sort of made the phone very extremely un-slippery. I think the 6P does not have any such grippy sides. While it may be easy to hold and use, I think I will have to be careful when using it naked.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

To those of you still waiting for your 6P, hang in there. This phone is incredible. 48 hours is by no means long enough to provide detailed impressions but like others, I'm eager to share my experience thus far.

The 6P's size and form factor is lightyears ahead of the N6. The N6's ultimate pitfall was its width. Holding the N6 while getting onto the subway or fiddling with car keys was an absolute nightmare sometimes. Taking quick photos with the N6 was also an unwieldy experience. And the N6 wobbles when placed upright on a table. All of these qualms and quirks are gone with the 6P. What I love the most is how easy it is to hold the 6P. Using this thing on the subway and around New York City has been a delight. It has a very iPhone-esque form factor and that's not a bad thing.

There's so much convenience baked into this phone. Nexus Imprint is blazing fast. The fingerprint scanner's placement is genius. Yes, when placed upright on the table, you have to turn the phone on traditionally. But at least the phone lays flat. Then, there's double pressing on the home button to launch the camera. Again, blazing fast. I took my 6P out to take some photos around the city and I was so impressed at how easy it was to take my phone out of my pocket and take pictures. Finally, point-and-shoot means point-and-shoot.

The front-facing speakers are loud and crisp. I mean it. It's fantastic and outside of maybe HTC, unparalleled. It does laps around the N6's front-facing speakers.

The 6P charges very fast and does not appear to lose significant battery life overnight. I just need to condition myself to stop charging my phone overnight (this was one of the benefits of slow wireless charging) but at least there's rapid charging (Google even reminds you that your phone is "Charging rapidly" on the lock screen). In 30 minutes, I went from 15% battery life to 62%. Blazing fast. I can already sense that USB-C will get annoying when I forget my charger at home but hopefully the combination of a big battery and Doze will keep things going.

Simply put--loving this phone. It's also gorgeous and very much premium. I know the wait is a struggle so if anyone has any questions about the phone or anything they'd like to see, let me know. I'm running my 6P on Sprint and have the 32GB model in Aluminium.

Thanks, this is reassuring. I'm from NYC as well, and also ordered the 32 GB Aluminum this week.

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking for a more LCD like color calibration, the option is there in Developer Options according to reports. If you don't currently have Developer Options, you usually have to go to the About Phone section (last option in Settings) and scroll down until you find the Build Number. IIRC you press it like 6-7 times (a pop-up message will appear telling you how many more presses after 2 or 3 presses) and now you'll see Developer Options either just above or below About Phone on the Settings page. The mode you'll want to look for is called sRGB mode, and from what I've read it makes the colors less punchy, more like what you see on an LCD display. Worst case try it out and if you don't like it switch back. Hope that helps.

I did this and it certainly changes the look of the colors, if ever so slightly. I can't decide if I like the sRGB mode, but right now I'm leaning towards no. I'm a punchy screen wh0re!

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I did this and it certainly changes the look of the colors, if ever so slightly. I can't decide if I like the sRGB mode, but right now I'm leaning towards no. I'm a punchy screen wh0re!

I'll try it out, but probably stick with regular mode as well. That was mostly for anyone who prefers LCDs over AMOLED.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I lucked out and the graphite 128GB came in stock today (not sure if it still is) and ordered it, then cancelled my aluminium 64GB. I can't recall if it was in this thread or another, but whoever posted about the Store Stock Checker app, THANK YOU. I would've never gotten it had that app not alerted me that they were back in stock. Can't wait for my baby to arrive!

I'm almost feeling the way I did when I was in the threads waiting for the original Droid Incredible to launch (first smartphone).

You too? Man. I remember that. It was the first phone I actually wanted before it came out. I waited forever for that phone, and I absolutely loved it. I ended up giving it to a friend who still uses it today. The Dinc was the greatest 3G SmartPhone, and no other is even close. I went from a Crackberry Storm which was an awful device to an OG Droid which was great, but I never liked the thickness due to the keyboard to the Dinc. The Dinc was my phone for many years until 4G came out, and I didn't switch to 4G right away because 4G wasn't offered in my area. I started down this 4G phone path with the Razr Maxx and I haven't stuck with any phone since the Dinc.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
You too? Man. I remember that. It was the first phone I actually wanted before it came out. I waited forever for that phone, and I absolutely loved it. I ended up giving it to a friend who still uses it today. The Dinc was the greatest 3G SmartPhone, and no other is even close. I went from a Crackberry Storm which was an awful device to an OG Droid which was great, but I never liked the thickness due to the keyboard to the Dinc. The Dinc was my phone for many years until 4G came out, and I didn't switch to 4G right away because 4G wasn't offered in my area. I started down this 4G phone path with the Razr Maxx and I haven't stuck with any phone since the Dinc.

Nah, my favorite was HTC HD 2, my kids both had DINC 2 but I found the Rezound much sexier. First 720p screen. Then they got the DNA and I was jealous (first 1080p screen). Vicious cycle.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I still have mine since if was my first smartphone, power it on every so often to play around a bit. I also remember the thread over on Phandroid forums waiting for it to launch that was absolutely huge. My brother also had one and he just switched last fall (battery was going bad and he lives in a great LTE area so I sold him my 2013 Moto X). He likes that it's faster (both hardware and data) and it's not much bigger than the Dinc. But he also still has his Dinc as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech