It's Sitting in my Play Cart. Get it? (Battery Life Topic)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
64GB is plenty for me. I can order it today and it'll ship on November 12th. So, the question I have for all of you that have the 6P is; do I get it?

Currently I'm using the Sammy Galaxy Edge +, but the battery life is atrocious. It's my understanding that the Nexus 6P's battery life is twice as good. That's the only reason I'm considering picking one up. For the most part I do like my Edge + and enjoy using it, but the phone stays on a charger 24/7. I've got a Qi charger by the bed and at work. I'd like to have a phone that doesn't need the work charger. My main problem at work is the LTE signal. My Verizon signal is horrible at work and it bounces from 4G to 3G to 1X to no signal all day long.

The only phone that's ever lasted all day for me is the iPhone 6 and then later, the iPhone 6 Plus. The 6 Plus would go all day and still have 50% battery left at night. The 6 would at least last all day and into the night.

My Edge + can go 6 hours and then it better be on for a charger. This is typical for all of my Android phones that I've had since the Razr Maxx. It was the only Android phone that would last a day.

So, those who have the 6P, do I pull the trigger because I'll love the battery life? Or do I stay with the Edge +?

Well, an update to this thread. Maybe I should have paid more attention to the specs.

THERE IS NO Qi CHARGING.

Honestly, I can't believe that there isn't Qi charging on this phone. I'll not be purchasing this phone. I live on Qi charging and won't have another Android phone that doesn't support Qi charging. So, no, I'll not be buying a 6P.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
6P has other advantages to consider, such as the option to use Project Fi, the camera quality (with slo-mo video capture), the prompt updates from Google, and the lack of bloat.

I'm curious as to why your Edge+ has to be on charger after 6 hours. Are you using it pretty intensely for that time period? Or is it losing battery because of poor cell signal? If you have poor signal, it doesn't really matter which phone you have--they'll all burn up battery trying to boost the signal.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious as to why your Edge+ has to be on charger after 6 hours. Are you using it pretty intensely for that time period? Or is it losing battery because of poor cell signal? If you have poor signal, it doesn't really matter which phone you have--they'll all burn up battery trying to boost the signal.

The battery's been just so-so for me, but yes, I guess I'm considered a heavy user:
I watch 2+ hours of NetFlix each day, never turn my hotspot off at home, read some emails, listen to Sirius while walking for an hour a day, leave the screen in auto mode all day instead of 30%, leave the Location in High Accuracy, play a few games, and get a crappy signal for 10 hours at work. I would have thought that the 3000 mAh battery would last a little longer, but not for me. My best SOT is 1 hour and 50 minutes.

The thing that really sucks though, is all of the above I did with my iPhone 6 Plus, and still had 50% left at night when I went to bed. I've always had crappy life with my Android Phones and outstanding life on the iPhones. I'd still have the iPhone, but their hotspot sucks and I can't live with that. Battery life I can live with by having extra chargers.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Yeah that's Android for you lol. The difference is iOS is much more strict about what background apps can do. On Android, there can be an app that you don't even open that's using more battery than the apps you're actually using lol. I know there are benefits to the way Android works but I'm beginning to question whether it's even worth it when it has such a negative impact on battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
What's killing his battery is the constant searching for signal. Sold my S6 Edge because battery life was horrible if there wasn't a good signal. Samsung radios aren't as good as Apple or Motorola.
As for no Qi charging, I am disappointed as well but between the larger battery, doze and better radio you'll get more life from a charge. You shouldn't need to charge in the middle of the day. If you need to, it has a version of quick charging.
Biggest thing irritating me is I just fleshed out my collection of quick charge 2.0 chargers for home, work and car.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
As for no Qi charging, I am disappointed as well but between the larger battery, doze and better radio you'll get more life from a charge

I miss Qi charging just for the fact when I do need to charge it and want to use the phone I have to adjust to the cord hanging out the bottom of the phone. I wouldn't consider a power users at all and my Nexus 6 easily made it from wake to bed.... Qi was nice to just set it down at work when I was busy and let it top charge a little here and there. Plus I used the TYLT charger so it had the phone tilted up to where I could easily see notifications and such. I rarely used the turbo charger with my Nexus 6... I physically plugged it up maybe 15 - 20 times total over the course of the 11 months I had it......

In January I am going to get a couple of these to test out and see how well they work. I manage my battery just fine so if it's a little slower with these it's better than having to physically plug it up all the time (However Type C is a lot easier to use than Micro USB)

ZNAPS

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
What's killing his battery is the constant searching for signal. Sold my S6 Edge because battery life was horrible if there wasn't a good signal. Samsung radios aren't as good as Apple or Motorola.
As for no Qi charging, I am disappointed as well but between the larger battery, doze and better radio you'll get more life from a charge. You shouldn't need to charge in the middle of the day. If you need to, it has a version of quick charging.
Biggest thing irritating me is I just fleshed out my collection of quick charge 2.0 chargers for home, work and car.

Geez, you're killing me. I took it out of my Play cart after seeing that there's no Qi charging, but you make good points. So, the singal's better than the Edge?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
... and now I have the White 128GB in my cart, so I've got the actual one I want and it will ship November 12th. But what do I do with my 2 Qi chargers? Dang it. I love Qi charging...

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
... and now I have the White 128GB in my cart, so I've got the actual one I want and it will ship November 12th. But what do I do with my 2 Qi chargers? Dang it. I love Qi charging...

I'm in the opposite camp. I've tried Qi charging and I'm always left unimpressed. I mean we're talking about the difference between setting a device on a pad or plugging in a cable, for the money it's not that big a deal. I do like it better on my Moto 360 vs the pogo pin option most smartwatches use, but it also helps that there's really no alignment issues to deal with in that case like there is with a smartphone or tablet.

My biggest gripe with Qi charging though is speed. It's slower than standard charging with a cable, and the phone heats up as much as with a rapid charger (Quick Charge or the one on the Nexus 5x & 6p) but takes longer to get to full capacity, so that means the battery is hotter for longer periods. That could mean it's more detrimental to battery longevity than rapid charging. I know with my Droid Turbo that it caused issues with reading the remaining battery charge, so the switch to Motorola's Quick charging was easy.

Just my 2¢.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's slower than standard charging with a cable

It's slow for sure... But I sit at a desk for nearly 50 hours a week.... and then I had another Qi pad on my nightstand and one in my kitchen... The TYTL chargers were pretty good. No alignment issues you just throw it down and the green light lights up that it's charging.

The few times I used the Turbo charger in my Nexus 6 was when I knew I was going out and needed a quick boost before leaving the house. usually on a weekend when I am out and about with the kids and get home for a few hours and about to head out again. But very rarely.... If you move around a lot or if I was back traveling for a living then Qi would be useless because of how slow it charges....

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
In January I am going to get a couple of these to test out and see how well they work. I manage my battery just fine so if it's a little slower with these it's better than having to physically plug it up all the time (However Type C is a lot easier to use than Micro USB)

ZNAPS

Hmmm interesting and cool concept; will have to keep an eye on that. I wonder how much of a difference the charging speed is. It kind of reminds me of those charging rings at Starbucks, not sure if you've seen them. You take a small charging ring, plug into your phone, then place it on certain parts of the table where a charging pad is built in, then it charges your phone. It's like semi-wireless charging.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think any phone but the iPhone may work for you. If signal is that bad, use what works. Or try another carrier. I have a Fi sim waiting for my 6p just to play with.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The lack of Qi charging is made up for to a certain extent by the fast charging that is associated with USB-C.

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
The battery's been just so-so for me, but yes, I guess I'm considered a heavy user:
I watch 2+ hours of NetFlix each day, never turn my hotspot off at home, read some emails, listen to Sirius while walking for an hour a day, leave the screen in auto mode all day instead of 30%, leave the Location in High Accuracy, play a few games, and get a crappy signal for 10 hours at work. I would have thought that the 3000 mAh battery would last a little longer, but not for me. My best SOT is 1 hour and 50 minutes.

The thing that really sucks though, is all of the above I did with my iPhone 6 Plus, and still had 50% left at night when I went to bed. I've always had crappy life with my Android Phones and outstanding life on the iPhones. I'd still have the iPhone, but their hotspot sucks and I can't live with that. Battery life I can live with by having extra chargers.

I get 5 hrs of sot on my edge plus ...

Check if you have a bug. I got a bug and got similar sot as yours for a week before I did a complete factory reset.

Is android system on top of your battery using list by any chance?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I get 5 hrs of sot on my edge plus ...

Check if you have a bug. I got a bug and got similar sot as yours for a week before I did a complete factory reset.

Is android system on top of your battery using list by any chance?

Yes, I know. I need to do an FDR. Just haven't found the time for it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are Qi receivers that stick onto the back of the phone and plug into the charging port.

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I had same issue with edge plus and note 5. I have had the 6P for almost a week now and it's rock solid in every aspect. You won't miss the wireless charging because you will only have to charge at night. I'm getting great battery life, where the Samsung devices didn't even come close!!

I just got home and it's a little after 7p and I have been off the charger for over 12 hours. I have over 4 hours of screen time. Phone indicates I still have 5 hours left at 31%. With the Samsungs I would have already charged em and still been around the same when I got home.

I consider myself a moderate to heavy user. Streaming slacker at the gym through BT. Texting and using Push email all day. Surfing Internet, playing games, reading news and sports apps. Plus a good amount of phone usage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781