Anyone come from an IPS LCD display?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My last 3 or 4 phones were IPS (none were iPhones, fwiw 😉), so of course, the increased brightness w/this display stands out immediately for me. And black is just that, black. Not this grayish-ness seen on IPS displays.

It's still fresh for me, so maybe I might realize any drawbacks over time. People talk about burn in, but I leave that alone. I'm just enjoying the change so far.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
the rule of thumb has generally been that on AMOLED displays Blacks are truer black, but that other colours can be oversaturated, where on an LCD most colours are truer, but blacks suffer.

It can come down to personal preference on which people prefer.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I put my OnePlus One side by side with my N6P on exactly the same home screen, and I could not tell the difference. I was really shocked...

K_O

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
The biggest draw to AMOLED over LCD is that I wear polarized glasses. With LCD screen I have to take my glasses off to view it in landscape. Otherwise I the screen totally blacks out. AMOLED I can view with my glasses on regardless of screen orientation.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
the rule of thumb has generally been that on AMOLED displays Blacks are truer black, but that other colours can be oversaturated, where on an LCD most colours are truer, but blacks suffer.

It can come down to personal preference on which people prefer.

While what you say is true for the most part, an amoled screen can display true to life colors. The reason you don't see that for the most part is that OEMs calibrate them for more over saturated colors because it is more attention grabbing and "pops" more than accurate colors. It's similar to say a TV show like CSI & CSI Miami where the colors are more vibrant compared to a show like Law and Order which is shot more true to life. Watching CSI gives the impression of a better picture, when in reality all of the colors are cranked up beyond what you normally see.

But with the 6p's sRGB mode, or the multiple modes on Samsung Galaxy devices, it proves a more accurate color scheme is possible, but the oem would have to calibrate it that way. And like it or not, over saturated displays catch eyes more than LCDs do

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My last 3 or 4 phones were IPS (none were iPhones, fwiw 😉), so of course, the increased brightness w/this display stands out immediately for me. And black is just that, black. Not this grayish-ness seen on IPS displays.

It's still fresh for me, so maybe I might realize any drawbacks over time. People talk about burn in, but I leave that alone. I'm just enjoying the change so far.

Amoled are generally saturate colors making colors pop unnaturally. IPS generally give more subdue and accurate color representation. Amoled screens however becoming more and more accurate. With 6p Amoled screen running marshmallow in the Dev setting you can change Amoled screen to be less saturated. This would give more accurate color palette when viewing the display.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
While what you say is true for the most part, an amoled screen can display true to life colors. The reason you don't see that for the most part is that OEMs calibrate them for more over saturated colors because it is more attention grabbing and "pops" more than accurate colors. It's similar to say a TV show like CSI & CSI Miami where the colors are more vibrant compared to a show like Law and Order which is shot more true to life. Watching CSI gives the impression of a better picture, when in reality all of the colors are cranked up beyond what you normally see.

But with the 6p's sRGB mode, or the multiple modes on Samsung Galaxy devices, it proves a more accurate color scheme is possible, but the oem would have to calibrate it that way. And like it or not, over saturated displays catch eyes more than LCDs do

I forgot about that option in dev options. It's weird how all the colors look flat when its selected. I guess I prefer the CSI: Miami type of screen. I just got used to amoled after having so many phones with that type of display.

Posted via the Android Central App

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Amoled are generally saturate colors making colors pop unnaturally. IPS generally give more subdue and accurate color representation. Amoled screens however becoming more and more accurate. With 6p Amoled screen running marshmallow in the Dev setting you can change Amoled screen to be less saturated. This would give more accurate color palette when viewing the display.

Is it the "Picture color mode" setting in dev options?