Software update on initial boot

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, just getting things setup on my new 6p, and I had a software update available as soon as I turned on my phone, and I choose to install it later and now that I'm actually in a position to install it, the software update disappeared.

Did anyone else have that issue? Also is there a way to potentially get it back?

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I have done that and it says up to date. It said I have a software update when I did not have a sim card put in yet, I wonder if that's the reason it went away. Currently I'm on build mda89d, I thought the update was to bring it up to md89k.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have done that and it says up to date. It said I have a software update when I did not have a sim card put in yet, I wonder if that's the reason it went away. Currently I'm on build mda89d, I thought the update was to bring it up to md89k.

Perhaps it auto checks no matter if there is one or not. There may not be an update out there but it checks anyways upon first boot.

I don't have mine yet so just pure speculation.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

SIM card does NOT matter... if you have Wifi without a SIM card it will check that using the Wifi. Did you try to reboot and then check again?

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Tried that as well. Also on another note, I have the official ac app, the one that was recently updated with material design, I'm logged in, and it won't let me post topics or replies. Any thoughts?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Tried that as well. Also on another note, I have the official ac app, the one that was recently updated with material design, I'm logged in, and it won't let me post topics or replies. Any thoughts?

To me, it sounds like you did something strange when you were setting up your device... if it was me, I'd do a Factory Reset.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
It was there for a solid 12 hours and then disappeared. I downloaded it and it wouldn't let me install it due to my battery level, and this morning it was gone.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I loaded several apps after I told the update to download... and cleared my notifications... so I didn't see the update when I was ready to install it... I did a check for updates and it was right there. You don't have the update available and it can not find it. Plus you are having major issues with another app. My thought process is you don't have that much time into this setup. Fix it now, and don't waste time... do a factory reset.

Of course you can wait and see if someone else has a solution. I'm no Nexus expert, but I have been using Android's for a long time... this is about my 5th or 6th android. I'm just trying to give you my recommendation.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had quite a few Android phones as well and never had this issue. Thanks for the help. I'll prolly do a reset later tonight.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
5X owners went through a similar situation. Short version, the SIM carrier DOES matter. I started my 5X with a Verizon SIM, and there was no update. I swapped it out for my T-Mobile SIM, and the update came straight through. If you're not seeing the update, you probably don't need it.