Nexus 6p vs Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)

anon(9708736)

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 6p will only connect to the 5G at 54 Mbps. Other devices connect to Netgear at higher speeds. Nexus 6p will connect to other AC routers at higher speeds (Asus, TP-Link (117 Mbps) ).

Latest firmware on Netgear. Latest updates on 6p.

I've tried rebooting the Netgear and the 6p. Turned off the wireless on the other router in the house (TP-Link). Full strength signal. No joy.

Any ideas? Known issue?

jrvtecaccord

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the X6, I have the X8 and hopefully I will get my 6P delivered sometime this week and I can see what it connects to. If I recall correctly 54 mbps is the max speed on 2.4ghz, so my assumption it's connecting to that radio. Do you have "smart connect" enabled? This is the option on the Netgear X routers that uses a single SSID to broadcast both radios.

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I just bought this router its still in the box. would like an update before I open it . I like updated routers even though I have an Asus AC66 already (doubt i see any type of gains by using tri band)

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have R8000 router with WRT installed. I can run some tests when I get home in the morning. What app are you using to test with?

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9708736)

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I do have "Smart Connect" checked, but on my router that enables on SSID broadcast for both 5G radios. I have two SSIDs broadcasting, one for 2.4 and one for the 5G radios. I am connecting directly to the 5G network. But it is interesting that I get the same speed when I connect directly to the 2.4 as well.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I flashed dd-wrt (Kong) to my router and now I get the fast speeds too. Go figure.

Thanks!

I will never buy another router that doesn't already have dd-wrt firmware already available. So much better. I'm getting 5ghz signal throughout my whole house.

Posted via the Android Central App