Car charger with Data

elfrocampeador

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to use a car charger to charge the phone at a good rate while still allowing data to, say, a car's usb port? This would be very cool if it is possible.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
What kind of car supports this? Wife's explorer has USB but its for USB sticks. Doubt car would know what to do with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

elfrocampeador

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
My car (Mazda3) has USB ports that it uses to read music off a flash drive / phone / etc. Rather nice feature that can't be used with a normal car charger.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Using the vehicle's USB port will charge, but it all depends on the AMP output of that USB port. It's not going to be faster than or even close to a real car charger.

elfrocampeador

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Using the vehicle's USB port will charge, but it all depends on the AMP output of that USB port. It's not going to be faster than or even close to a real car charger.

Right, that's why I ask... The output from a standard USB port is only enough to charge a 6P very very slowly, I was wondering if there's a way to charge faster while still being able to use usb data. I bet its technologically feasible, but I doubt any such devices exist.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Right, that's why I ask... The output from a standard USB port is only enough to charge a 6P very very slowly, I was wondering if there's a way to charge faster while still being able to use usb data. I bet its technologically feasible, but I doubt any such devices exist.

Sure, get you a GOOD car charger, then stream your music via bluetooth... I'm not sure why you'd think a USB type-A port to output more amps than it should... the USB is not going to output at that high of output.

elfrocampeador

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Sure, get you a GOOD car charger, then stream your music via bluetooth... I'm not sure why you'd think a USB type-A port to output more amps than it should... the USB is not going to output at that high of output.

Admittedly its a bit of a niche problem... My car reads the music library on my phone, allowing me to select music from the car's controls (which is dramatically safer and less illegal in many places than manually selecting music from the phone which is required when streaming via bluetooth at least in my car), thus I want to be able to have my phone plugged into my car, but allow the power rails to supply more current (thus charging faster). In theory this should be possible in a purely electrical sense by using the power rail on the straight-up USB-A as selection signal into a power transistor switching against the power rail from usb from a high current car charger circuit. Not sure what implications this would have in terms of USB standards, but on a purely electrical level it should be possible. Alas, a bit of a pipe dream I suppose.

elfrocampeador

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Looking at a discussion about the output of the USB port in a Mazda3 (though it's possible that different years would have different output, especially with the recent redesign), it sounds like your phone may be able to draw enough charge to maintain its battery level, but not really increase it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda3/comments/3bisc4/anyone_know_what_the_output_amps_are_on_the_usb/

Mine's a 2014. I haven't measured it, but yeah I imagine its only enough to charge very slowly. For comparison its enough to charge the Nexus 5 at around 1% every few minutes... Quite slowly. Hence the desire to somehow source more current (as with a car charger) while maintaining the data link.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine's a 2014. I haven't measured it, but yeah I imagine its only enough to charge very slowly. For comparison its enough to charge the Nexus 5 at around 1% every few minutes... Quite slowly. Hence the desire to somehow source more current (as with a car charger) while maintaining the data link.

Only thought I've had is if you have a power inverter, and a powered USB hub with a port made for charging a phone/tablet, you could set things up to see if the USB port will even support a hub. That's the only even remotely possible option I've come up with - an in-line device that adds current, the only example I can come up with is a hub. I have one of these hubs ( http://www.amazon.com/Charging-Adap...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4804032 ) in my office, and port #7 is 2a, much better than the likely 500ma of the built in port.

Side note, I'm a big fan of the 2014+ Mazda3. Had to buy a newer car for my wife recently, and I'd hoped to get her one. Unfortunately, cost (due to them being newer) and location (closest Mazda dealer is ~2hr away) dictated otherwise and she got a Chevy Sonic hatch.

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Usb 2.0 data ports are limited to 2.5W of power, the same limitation does not apply to a car/wall charger which allows for a quicker charge. USB 3.0 ports can send up to 4.5W of power, so always plug into one of those if you have a choice and your device will take advantage of the extra juice if capable.

elfrocampeador

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Only thought I've had is if you have a power inverter, and a powered USB hub with a port made for charging a phone/tablet, you could set things up to see if the USB port will even support a hub. That's the only even remotely possible option I've come up with - an in-line device that adds current, the only example I can come up with is a hub. I have one of these hubs ( Amazon.com: Anker® USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 1 BC 1.2 Charging Port up to 5V 1.5A, 12V 3A Power Adapter Included [VIA VL812-B2 Chipset]: Computers & Accessories ) in my office, and port #7 is 2a, much better than the likely 500ma of the built in port.

Side note, I'm a big fan of the 2014+ Mazda3. Had to buy a newer car for my wife recently, and I'd hoped to get her one. Unfortunately, cost (due to them being newer) and location (closest Mazda dealer is ~2hr away) dictated otherwise and she got a Chevy Sonic hatch.

I'm a big fan of mine. Good car at a good price. I particularly like the infotainment system (which is topical!). Not familiar with the Chevy Sonic (but then, I was looking at compact sedans rather than subcompact hatches :)

Your idea of a USB hub is intriguing. Perhaps there are car-powerable models which are suitable? This sounds really stupid I suppose

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The main question in my mind is whether a hub will work at all. If you have access to a hub and inverter, you could do a proof of concept test, then if it works look into how to set it up in a more minimal way with more funds invested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol