Did you switch from a Note 4/5 to 6p? What are your thoughts?

dd_terry

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I use a Note 4 as my daily driver. Thinking about getting a 6p. If you switched from a Note 4 or 5 to the 6p I'd like to know your thoughts.

What do you miss from your Note? What do you like more about your 6p?

Have you been able to replicate some of the Note functions on the 6p through apps or configurations? i.e Separate number row on keyboard? Incoming call popup window?

I like the idea of fast updates from Google, Project Fi and not having to put up with Samsung and Sprint bloat.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn. I have a Note 5 on AT&T running the Google Now Launcher and using Messenger for SMS/MMS. I picked up a Nexus 6P and honestly the user experience isn't much different. I haven't extensively used the 6P's camera, but the Note 5's is better. Also, the screen on the Note 5 is more vibrant and the size / in hand feel of the Note 5 is better. The 6P is a bit smoother, and has front facing stereo speakers, and the fingerprint sensor is 100X better on the 6P.

Another big deal is no VoLTE / HD Voice on the Nexus 6P.

Battery is much better on the Nexus 6P though.

No wireless charging on the 6P, which I hardly use anyways on the Note 5.

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I like the idea of fast updates from Google, Project Fi and not having to put up with Samsung and Sprint bloat.

I still don't get the problem regarding bloat on the smartphone. I think it used to matter to me before when you couldn't hide it, uninstall it, or disable it. But now you can.And over the past year, I'm not really feeling the bare bones nature of "pure Android" anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like Nexus devices. My Nexus 6 last year was really nice and one of my all-time favorite devices was the Nexus S. But, I want my features and hardware additions. The carrier bloat and quick updates argument just doesn't make sense to me anymore. And now that Samsung has been able to make its devices perform smoothly with Touch Wiz, there really is no reason for "me" to entertain the thought of buying another Nexus.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite the opposite. I'm glad Samsung has improved their ways, but all of their background processes running take that nice big battery down a notch. I wanted to like the Note 5, but the design is atrocious, so I opted to go the 6P route since I really enjoyed my N7 2013 (before the issues they had with motherboards going bad with the 5.1 update, RIP N7).

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm coming from a note 4, I do miss a few things, the s pen is one that I didn't think I would miss but I realized I used it a lot more then I thought but I will get over it. One other thing I miss is being able to end a call with the power button and the home button to wake the phone, again things I will get used to. Also the task manager button and back button are opposite. The 6p runs so much smoother then touch wiz.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
My brother left nexus 6 to note 5 and he loves it. I do believe Note 5 is superior to 6P but is is also at least $250 more expensive. That's the only reason I opted for Nexus 6P. I do have Nexus 6 now but i had note 3 and 4 before.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I came from the Note 5 to the 6P. So far I'm very impressed! I would say the devices are pretty much the same but the Android version is very different. I haven't noticed any hiccups with the 6P. The Note 5 had this regularly which is nothing to complain about or worry about as it was minor. However, I would rather a device that runs buttery smooth and the vanilla Android experience is amazing. So far, I am currently very happy. PS, the speakers are amazing on this device!

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from the Node 4 to the 6P. I haven't got my 6p yet but here are some of the reasons why I'm switching.
I've always been pretty adamant about the features on my Note 4 and love the note 4 for all it has to offer... then the Note 5 came out and took a lot of those things I liked away. I decided I wasn't going to upgrade, I was just going to skip the Note 5 and hope the Note 6 was better... and then my Note 4 got that 5.0.1 update from Verizon and it's run like s*** ever since, even after three factory resets.

I know I'm going to miss some of those Note 4 features but the trade off is a buttery smooth OS with timely updates straight from Google, no waiting for Samsung and especially Verizon to finally get an update out. The other thing I'm looking forward to is the front facing speakers, I know I will utilize those speakers a lot more than I ever did they spen... I've always been really annoyed with having the cup my hand around the bottom of the Note 4 to try to redirect the sound back at me.

I will give you an update in a week after I get my 6P on Tuesday.

husa3695

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from the Node 4 to the 6P. I haven't got my 6p yet but here are some of the reasons why I'm switching.
I've always been pretty adamant about the features on my Note 4 and love the note 4 for all it has to offer... then the Note 5 came out and took a lot of those things I liked away. I decided I wasn't going to upgrade, I was just going to skip the Note 5 and hope the Note 6 was better... and then my Note 4 got that 5.0.1 update from Verizon and it's run like s*** ever since, even after three factory resets.

I know I'm going to miss some of those Note 4 features but the trade off is a buttery smooth OS with timely updates straight from Google, no waiting for Samsung and especially Verizon to finally get an update out. The other thing I'm looking forward to is the front facing speakers, I know I will utilize those speakers a lot more than I ever did they spen.

This would've have been the exact same reply, hit every point right on the head. I have a Nexus 9 and it felt great getting the Marshmallow update 10 days after it was announced by Google, so I wanted the same experience on my next phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I still don't get the problem regarding bloat on the smartphone. I think it used to matter to me before when you couldn't hide it, uninstall it, or disable it. But now you can.And over the past year, I'm not really feeling the bare bones nature of "pure Android" anymore. Don't get me wrong, I like Nexus devices. My Nexus 6 last year was really nice and one of my all-time favorite devices was the Nexus S. But, I want my features and hardware additions. The carrier bloat and quick updates argument just doesn't make sense to me anymore. And now that Samsung has been able to make its devices perform smoothly with Touch Wiz, there really is no reason for "me" to entertain the thought of buying another Nexus.

It just depends if it matters to you. Personally I've grown tired of all the cool updates from Google and yet I have to wait months and months to get it due to the carrier having to delay everything.

For me It's nice to get things from Google right away. The bloat simply adds nothing really except.. Well...bloat. Before (for T-Mobile at least) added things like wifi calling but that's in Stock now. I can also get visual voicemail without the carrier app. Just depends what you want out of a phone really :).

Thirst91

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I came from the S6 but have had 2 Note 4's prior. The stock Android experience is unmatched in my opinion. As others have said, the Note series has some great features but its not worth all the problems and update delays to me. The 6P is perfect so far and I don't plan on changing phones for quite a while.

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
You either want the XDA development scene, fast updates from google and the stock experience or you don't.

If you don't the Note 5 is a great device.

If you do, then the nexus 6p is the best device out there.

I can fire up a nexus 4 or 5 and be updated to now. Try that with a S3.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I was going to just for the hype, in fact I ordered one but then I sold it right away, didn't even open it. You can't replace a note imo.

Sirromey

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
You either want the XDA development scene, fast updates from google and the stock experience or you don't.

If you don't the Note 5 is a great device.

If you do, then the nexus 6p is the best device out there.

I can fire up a nexus 4 or 5 and be updated to now. Try that with a S3.

Not Nexus 4.

Posted on my Note 5

Sirromey

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I was going to just for the hype, in fact I ordered one but then I sold it right away, didn't even open it. You can't replace a note imo.

True that. You cant really compare a note to other phones. Its unique. For people like me that use the s pen and multiwindow on a daily basis nothing else comes close.

Posted on my Note 5

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
True that. You cant really compare a note to other phones. Its unique. For people like me that use the s pen and multiwindow on a daily basis nothing else comes close.

Posted on my Note 5
I have always said this about the Note series. It is truly unique and if you are really into it, it becomes very difficult to even consider other smartphones.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
One thing I do remember about my Nexus 6 from last year was that the video playback was pretty bad. It's one of the small things about my note 5 that I really enjoy. I don't have to worry about video playback being poor.

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey there! I have a note 4 running stock touchwiz. Ordered a black 64 6p from the huawei site. I love my 6p more and more everyday. Would definitely recommend it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX