Proximity Sensor Issue?

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I just go my phone yesterday. Ambient Display does not work. Also when I am on the phone, my entire screen is black and won't display (the phone call works). Could this be due to a tempered glass screen protector or just a bad sensor?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes if the screen protector does not have a cutout for the proximity sensor the call screen will go black when a call is initiated until the line hangs up.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!

ajkam

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I just go my phone yesterday. Ambient Display does not work. Also when I am on the phone, my entire screen is black and won't display (the phone call works). Could this be due to a tempered glass screen protector or just a bad sensor?
I raised a similar question in another thread. I ended up taking my tempered glass screen protector off and it solved the Ambient Display issues I was having.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It looks like the one I got blocks the proximity sensor. They are now selling "updated" versions on Amazon. Looks like that was the problem.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Simple solution, stop using screen protectors! They are useless!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Wrong! Micro-scratches happen...

The issue is so many protectors have been made without the proper sensor cutout. Newer ones are being made to accommodate this.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Wrong! Micro-scratches happen...

The issue is so many protectors have been made without the proper sensor cutout. Newer ones are being made to accommodate this.

Micro-scratches...... So things that aren't noticeable to the human eye? I can see using one on a device that's 3+ years old but now.,.... No way. I think the last phone I had a scratch on the screen was a EVO 4G. GG is pretty resilient.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Micro-scratches...... So things that aren't noticeable to the human eye? I can see using one on a device that's 3+ years old but now.,.... No way. I think the last phone I had a scratch on the screen was a EVO 4G. GG is pretty resilient.

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean others don't. They're small but I do see them. I baby my phones and even the idea of a scratch drives me nuts.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Just because you don't see them doesn't mean others don't. They're small but I do see them. I baby my phones and even the idea of a scratch drives me nuts.

So when you see these micro-scratches, are you using a magnifying glass, or just randomly glancing at your phone?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My eyes just notice them. I don't know why. Happens with scratches on my car too. It's a curse.

I've given up on fighting scratches on my car. Where I live I have street parking, and everyday after trash day there is one more scratch somewhere. With the car being 10 years old it is easy to let those little things go I guess. My rear bumper looks like it was fighting a rainbow..... People don't know how to park in the city sometimes.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've given up on fighting scratches on my car. Where I live I have street parking, and everyday after trash day there is one more scratch somewhere. With the car being 10 years old it is easy to let those little things go I guess. My rear bumper looks like it was fighting a rainbow..... People don't know how to park in the city sometimes.

I refuse to park in the street due to this. I have a 2012 Acura TSX with under 18,000 miles on it so I'm anal as hell. A rainbow on the rear bumper? Nooooo! Lol

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I refuse to park in the street due to this. I have a 2012 Acura TSX with under 18,000 miles on it so I'm anal as hell. A rainbow on the rear bumper? Nooooo! Lol

Lol its not that bad. I have an 05 Grand Cherokee. So most of the scratches are low on the rear bumper. Since most people around where I live have sedans. Love this car in the winter time, just shovel off roof and windows and drive out. Everyone else gets screwed with shoveling their cars out lol

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Lol its not that bad. I have an 05 Grand Cherokee. So most of the scratches are low on the rear bumper. Since most people around where I live have sedans. Love this car in the winter time, just shovel off roof and windows and drive out. Everyone else gets screwed with shoveling their cars out lol

Lol, thats what my buddy with a Wrangler X tells me constantly!

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
So when you see these micro-scratches, are you using a magnifying glass, or just randomly glancing at your phone?

I see them too. There's so many particles that are harder than the glass that are tiny enough for you not to notice them scratch your screen. It's like how some people don't notice or aren't bothered by minor lags in software and others are.

But they're there. I guarantee you they're there, its just whether you categorize what you actually see as "scratches" or not. But like the guy above, I notice them and try to avoid them by using glass protectors. But hey, to each there own.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

I just bought a newer car too and living in Chicago can be rough...very rough. Have no option but to park on the street between home and work alone! Lol I'm also fairly anal about my belongings and as you said it, its a curse.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a newer car too and living in Chicago can be rough...very rough. Have no option but to park on the street between home and work alone! Lol I'm also fairly anal about my belongings and as you said it, its a curse.

I live in Romeoville, IL but I know what it's like in the city! Ouch!