Did Google intentionally disable Quick Charge 2.0?

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I was under the impression that the Nexus devices simply didn't come with a quick charger in the box, and you had to buy one separately in order to use Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
It seems like they disabled it so they wouldn't have to pay royalties for the proprietary technology. At least that makes sense to me. It might be unlocked for rooted users soon though so who knows!

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that the Nexus devices simply didn't come with a quick charger in the box, and you had to buy one separately in order to use Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0.

nope. it has rapid charging via the USB-C spec. you need a charger that is compatible with the amount of juice USB-C needs in order to quick charge. however it is totally different from Qualcomm QuickCharge

StaticXCC

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
It may or may not even be installed at a hardware level due to the technology being proprietary. Would make sense to disable it in software if it's not even physically capable of doing the QC2.0 charging. USB Type-C kinda makes QC 2.0 redundant anyhow.

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
When I first plugged in my phone there was a notification that said 'Fast Charging' battery to full in 32 minutes. Sure nuff the battery charged faster than any phone I've seen.

But I've never seen that notification ever again. Just that once. But the battery does fast charge. Really weird. Wish I could figure out what happened.

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
When I first plugged in my phone there was a notification that said 'Fast Charging' battery to full in 32 minutes. Sure nuff the battery charged faster than any phone I've seen.

But I've never seen that notification ever again. Just that once. But the battery does fast charge. Really weird. Wish I could figure out what happened.
It only shows on the lock screen. At least for me.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
atg284 is correct; the chipset supports QuickCharge, but to actually use it in the device Google/Huawei would have to pay a royalty to Qualcomm. Since the 6P already fast charges using USB-C, they decided not to.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Where has it been said that there is even a licensing fee to Qualcomm to use quick charge? I believe that is only speculation.

Sites like gsmarena say it's royalty free

http://m.gsmarena.com/charge_test-review-1239p2.php

After some research we found out that Qualcomm is actually offering their Quick Charge 2.0 technology to third-party OEMs royalty free. All they have to do is integrate the extra Power management integrated circuit into their designs.

Posted via the Android Central App

ryleyinstl

May 19, 2011
Visit site
QC is proprietary. USB-C's 3A capability is part and parcel of the open USB-C spec. Google picked the open standard rather than the proprietary one. That's it.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
QC is proprietary. USB-C's 3A capability is part and parcel of the open USB-C spec. Google picked the open standard rather than the proprietary one. That's it.

Well yeah, but surely they could support both? Type-C is supported by QC, and as far as I'm aware QC2.0 would simply be another interface on top of USB-PD in terms of charge/battery controllers. Surely it would be possible.