Can you still be secure when you're rooted and bootloader unlocked?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Watched the entire podcast on the PRIV and was really thinking about security and updates.

Security patches and updates are one reason I really like Nexus phones. I also like their ability to easily be customized, rooted, and bootloader unlocked.

I've been running stock on my Moto XPE and Nexus 6, so I won't be flashing custom roms on my Nexus 6P, but there are certain root apps that I refuse to give up. I've also gotten in the habit of unlocking the bootloader right away, before I start setting everything up.

Question: Can you still have dependable security when you are rooted and bootloader unlocked, provided that you install the latest patches that Google releases?

I have no doubt that someone will eventually root the PRIV too. Will that automatically make the PRIV much less secure?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes the same security is still in place, however to a average skilled enthusiast that understands how to take advantage of an unlocked bootloader can use this to their advantage to get into your device.

But as far as day to day security, yeah its all still there and working as long as you keep up with the latest updates & patches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress