Nexus 6p with USB PC (windows 7) can't see any files, why?

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, I wish I knew what caused this. For two days I couldn't get either the N6P or the N7-13 to come up in Explorer, resorting to copying files to a thumbdrive and using OTG to transfer them to the devices.

Then it started being recognized today. The only thing I did to the computer was to install Kerbal Space Program through Steam. So I guess I would add 'Install KSP' to the tricks to use to get your devices to work on Windows 7. Heh heh, here's to hoping it stays working.

lospopadosos

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Lipmonger, it worked. Thanks!
It didn't worked trhu USB3 at first but then I reconnected to USB2, MTP driver installed ok and then it worked thru USB3 as well.

16hay

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6p with USB PC (windows 7) can't see any files

After dealing with this problem for the past few days on my Nexus 6P, and not wanting to fix it with Developer Options, I figured out the problem:

My Windows 7 computer was trying to use my old Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 ClockworkMod drivers to access my new Nexus 6P, and it just doesn't work right. To fix this issue you must replace the Nexus drivers on your computer. Do the following:

1. Connect your Nexus 6P to your computer via a USB port (keep it set on Charging mode).
2. Click on the USB devices icon in your status bar (near the clock). It's the USB graphic with the green check mark.
3. Select "Open Devices and Printers".
4. Even if you don't see your 6P in Windows Explorer, it should be listed here under Unspecified devices (at the bottom of the Devices window).
5. Right-click on Nexus 6P.
6. Select Properties.
7. Go to the Hardware tab and click on the Properties button.
8. Go to the Driver tab.
9. Click the Uninstall button.
10. Click OK on the pop-up window that appears.
11. Now, on your 6P (which should still be connected to your PC), swipe-down the notification bar and change the USB settings from Charging to "USB for file transfer."
12. The new drivers will install and you should hear the Windows USB device connection sounds.
13. The Nexus 6P will now be listed in Windows Explorer, and you can transfer files as you need.

I hope this helps others out there.

Cheers!

Thanks heaps for your advice with this 😀

mchangezica

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
lipmonger, you solved my problem. The search to find a way to transfer my music, videos and photos from computer to my nexus p6 took me almost one full night without success and in the morning I saw your post and acted accordingly and there I was bingo. Good job. Thank you.

Hoku001

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I just changed to a Nexus6P (from a Windows Phone) and have a Windows 7 Home PC. When I plug in my phone, via USB, if I select the "usb file transfer" option on the phone, my phone shows up in Windows Explorer. I can see all the folders, but I can't see any of the files!

I tried the steps outlined by @lipmonger thinking maybe I had "old" drivers. After I did the procedure, everything is the same. I can see the folders but not the files (like photos). I copied a picture from my PC onto the phone to see if I could go the other way and it works; I can see the photo on my phone. But when connected to the PC, I can only see that one photo file that I copied there, not the files of the pictures taken from my phone.

Any ideas?

jclake

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I just changed to a Nexus6P (from a Windows Phone) and have a Windows 7 Home PC. When I plug in my phone, via USB, if I select the "usb file transfer" option on the phone, my phone shows up in Windows Explorer. I can see all the folders, but I can't see any of the files!

I tried the steps outlined by @lipmonger thinking maybe I had "old" drivers. After I did the procedure, everything is the same. I can see the folders but not the files (like photos). I copied a picture from my PC onto the phone to see if I could go the other way and it works; I can see the photo on my phone. But when connected to the PC, I can only see that one photo file that I copied there, not the files of the pictures taken from my phone.

Any ideas?

Open settings, apps. Find "storage" clear data and cache. Find "media" clear storage and cache. Restart phone. It will take Android five or ten minutes to rebuild what you just cleared. After 10 minutes your files will be visible. May have to reset custom sound settings.

azclint

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much! Tried everything on every forum to no avail, was beginning to think there was no fix. Your solution worked, very happy!

spacez

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I am new to Android, but I was tell you what worked for me using WINDOWS 7 and a Nexus 6P:

1. PLUG - USB-C end of the cable into the Nexus 6P;
2. PLUG - USB-A end of the cable into your computer's USB port (3.0 or 2.0);

--- You will hear a connection confirmation tone from your computer (or your computer will display a message confirming Nexus 6P driver installation).

3. CLICK - on "Computer" in Windows 7;

--- You should see Nexus 6P (Portable Device) icon.

4. CLICK - on the Nexus 6P icon, and you should see file folders on your Nexus 6P;

--- If you don't see files folders after clicking on the Nexus 6P icon -- go to next step.

5. PULL DOWN the "messages' screen on the Nexus 6P from the top of the screen;
6. LOOK for "USB for charging" message
7. TOUCH - "USB for charging" message;
8. SELECT - "File transfers" radio button;
9. CLICK - on "Nexus 6p" icon on Windows 7;
10. CLICK - on "Internal storage;"

--- The file folders on the Nexus 6P should be visible.

This works perfectly for me. Thanks!

revdrw

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I can't find this stuff on my Nexus 6P phone. Where is it?

11. Now, on your 6P (which should still be connected to your PC), swipe-down the notification bar and change the USB settings from Charging to "USB for file transfer."
12. The new drivers will install and you should hear the Windows USB device connection sounds.
13. The Nexus 6P will now be listed in Windows Explorer, and you can transfer files as you need.

Bill_YEG

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6p with USB PC (windows 7) can't see any files

I got LIPMONGER's steps to work (thank you!) but with a variation.

On the Properties > Hardware > Properties > Driver tab, Uninstall was greyed out. (Your step 9.)

I opened the Device Manager. The Nexus 6P wasn't under Portable Devices where I thought it might be.

At the top of the Device Manager list, I noticed Android devices. It listed a driver--I forget the name already but it was a left over from a previous attempt I made. I was able to Uninstall it. So then I was able to continue with your step 11., etc., and I'm a happy camper!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463