Nexus 6P Bending and Breaking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Breaking glass

Yeah, it seems to be a fairly widespread issue and is happening for no known reason.

I wouldn't say it's widespread, it seems like 3 people are reporting it, and who knows the circumstances that occurred that led to how those phones look.

Posted via the Android Central App

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Breaking glass

there is a thread below for this already... Back Camera Glass Cracking
seems to be just a few people reporting. no worries here

NewPepper

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Back Camera Glass Cracking

Is there a screen protector for the camera glass? Maybe just a piece of duct tape, that usually is pretty strong and will provide good protection. (sarcasm) Hope it's not an issue, mine arrives tomorrow!

thigatl

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

I used the phone for 2 days and noticed the back glass surrounding the camera was completely cracked on the second evening. I have no idea when this happened since I have never dropped the phone. I did set it down several times per normal use. I purchased the phone from Google directly and called their customer support. After 40 minutes of explaining my situation and being on hold they wanted to 'conference' me in with Huawei support which took another 20 minutes to connect (and the Google person was gone). Huawei support led me to believe that they are going to send me a new phone, but I had to email pictures to a special email address for 'management' review. The jury is out... but I am trying to remain positive about the whole thing. I really like the phone.

I totally agree that I should use a case, and will do so if/when I get the replacement, but I did not do anything unusual to cause this. I have dropped phones before and take total ownership of those situations. This seems like a design flaw to me if the contact point on the back allows for such an easy break. I thought I had saw in a review that this piece was plastic...??? Guess not...

IMG_20151108_134755664.jpg
IMG_20151108_134809079.jpg

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

I don't understand. I have a Galaxy S5 now with Gorilla Glass. I've never used a case. I've dropped this phone so many times on all sorts of hard surfaces. Nothing has ever happened. The aluminum sides are all banged and chipped up, but the glass looks brand new.

I thought the 6P had Gorilla Glass on the back. How can it vary so much if they are both using the same glass?

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

It could be from thermal expansion. When the metal and glass heat up, they expand. If the gap between the metal and glass isn't large enough to accommodate this natural process, or there isn't a buffer in between to diminish the direct pressure, it can cause stress in the glass, eventually build up, and shatter with only the smallest force due to that pressure and the weakening of the material. If this is what's happening, a case won't help; it'll likely make it worse, because the case would hinder heat dissipation and cause it to warm up further or stay warm for longer, and/or, crack it on it's own, because hard cases usually exert additional pressure to stay clamped on. It's very likely from the glass being repeatedly stressed, regardless of what is causing the stress.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: More bending issues being reported

These reports are coming from owners that are not abusing their phones and are keeping them in cases. Bury your head in the sand if you'd like, but most people are going to admit that these constant reports of build quality issues are troubling.

Even if that is the case. Couple bent reports out of hundreds of thousands shipped phones is hardly a thing to worry about. In percentage wise, there isn't even a number there. It's so small it still comes to almost 0% ;)

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site

I used the phone for 2 days and noticed the back glass surrounding the camera was completely cracked on the second evening. I have no idea when this happened since I have never dropped the phone. I did set it down several times per normal use. I purchased the phone from Google directly and called their customer support. After 40 minutes of explaining my situation and being on hold they wanted to 'conference' me in with Huawei support which took another 20 minutes to connect (and the Google person was gone). Huawei support led me to believe that they are going to send me a new phone, but I had to email pictures to a special email address for 'management' review. The jury is out... but I am trying to remain positive about the whole thing. I really like the phone.

I totally agree that I should use a case, and will do so if/when I get the replacement, but I did not do anything unusual to cause this. I have dropped phones before and take total ownership of those situations. This seems like a design flaw to me if the contact point on the back allows for such an easy break. I thought I had saw in a review that this piece was plastic...??? Guess not...

View attachment 205065
View attachment 205066

Phones made properly should not have such problems. If you "toss" it on a desk or counter top, that can be as bad a drop. It doesn't sound like you did that. In fact, your description of how you handle your phone is a lot like me. I might slide my phone an inch or two here or there on my desk or set it down abruptly, but never just toss it. I keep it in my front pants pocket and make sure there is no change in with it. To me, this is just day to day use and if I cracked my screen, I would not be happy and expect replacement. Sounds like a defect made it to fragile.

ankah

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is the 6P really as fragile as they say on TWiT and CNET? (able to be broken with just one hand?

went to CNet and the CNet review said nothing about bending.

was it actually CNet that said it, or a user in the user review sections

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site

Very well said. Also, the glass is hardened, which makes it more brittle. If the case puts stress on the glass with some manufacturing tolerance being off and the phone being aluminum, any flex, it very well could crack. Also, like any glass, one minor microscopic chip or scratch from the manufacturing process will cause it to crack or shatter. Just like an ice pick can shatter a car window.

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is the 6P really as fragile as they say on TWiT and CNET? (able to be broken with just one hand?

I weep for this world.

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

I've got one in my hand right now. I know it's not an issue. If you're the sheeple type then don't buy it. Plenty of reviews, plenty of people with perfect devices. By all means let a handful of people cloud your judgement. Doesn't impact me one bit.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't count Reddit as the foremost authority on this "issue".

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

This is getting annoying...seriously. How do you people believe this crap? You really think a manufacturer is going to make a phone that will self destruct by touching it with your pinky? If you are dumb enough to intentionally try bending your phone, you deserve to have it bent. Idk about those who actually believe this stuff, but I treat my hard earned belongings with care. And if something bad happens to it, I blame myself, not the manufacturer, not bend-gate, not pen-stuck-in-phone-gate, not cracked-screen-cause-i-dropped-it-on-the-concrete-gate, etc.

iamloco724

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Im very concerned about this problem im expecting my phone tomorrow, im careful for the most part with my phones only broke one in my life but this issue seems to affect phones whether you are careful or not

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

These reports are coming from owners that are not abusing their phones and are keeping them in cases. Bury your head in the sand if you'd like, but most people are going to admit that these constant reports of build quality issues are troubling.
Or trolls...and honestly, I really couldn't care less what happens to other people's phone. If you take care of it, it'll be fine.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

No, this isn't another thread about people intentionally trying to break the phone in half. People are now starting to report finding that their phones are slightly bent from normal usage.

Here's the reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3rwwsf/nexus_6p_bent_after_a_week_and_a_half_of_use/

Where are you getting that PEOPLE are ending up with bent phones? The Reddit link has one person with a bent 6p, and a bunch of others commenting on it. Add to that there aren't even any pics to show that it is indeed bent, and no way of knowing if the person making the claim is being honest about how it happened.

Do you think it's possible that they may be looking for a free replacement by saying it's a defect, rather than admitting that maybe they were careless, which would mean that it would cost them out of pocket to replace it? People can claim anything on the internet, but until there's proof that it happened and how it happened, when the majority aren't having any issues, I'd side with the majority on the issue.

And I don't think anyone's burying their head in the sand on this matter when we're not seeing widespread reports of this either. Another thread mentioned that it could be bent with one hand by a tiny Asian girl. Then it comes out that she's pushing on it with the center of the phone positioned against the corner of a table. In that scenario she could put her whole body weight against it. They also mentioned that the 5x couldn't be bent in the same scenario. Considering it's a polycarbonate cased device, that would make sense. Metal bends when enough force is put on it and stays that way, whereas polycarbonate has elasticity to it and will usually return to it's original shape.

If we start seeing this become widespread and know for a fact that people aren't doing it on purpose, then I'll start to worry about it.

iamloco724

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

There seems to be some reports on xda about 6p's being easily bent give some are from a soft fall but still I have dropped my M8 a good amounts of times on carpet without a case and no issues, this phone is getting me a little worried im getting mine tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.