This phone is just ridiculous, Google

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I mean stupidly ridiculous. Google + Huawei totally nailed this. I'm not going to give a user review because basically I think Jerry said everything that needed to be said in his which you can read here if you haven't already. I'm just here to gush and add a few comments of my own. I just got mine today and literally am putting it down for the first time in hours. If there's one thing I was never comfortable saying about an android device before, I am most certainly going to say it now - this phone is easily, hands down, a worthy rival to the historic king of quality the iPhone.

On the software side I've been putting this thing through the paces hard all day and for the first time ever I was astounded at not being able to get hit by any android lag at all. Mind=blown! What really blew me away is that this is the first time ever I've installed a X.0 version of android that worked flawlessly right out of the gates. 6.0 is a big winner here from Google, well done gents. I'm not an android lightweight either, having either owned or toyed with pretty much every flagship under the sun over the years courtesy of loaners from my most generous mobile sales niece ;) I don't know what manner of sorcery Google employed to pull this off but we also have an iPhone 6S+ in the house and it holds no advantage over the 6p in this department at all. I was seriously considering switching teams because of how well the iPhones we've also owned over the years do in this respect but the 6p saved that from happening.

Moving on to hardware let me get the bugbears in the room out of the way right off the bat. As with all new devices that are popular with us forum tech junkies, you read a lot of "oh no it has [insert problem here]!" I can't speak to the few unlucky ones who ended up with a defect off the assembly line. It happens. It even happens to Apple. Mine doesn't. I don't have yellow or pink tinted white hues, nor do I have any unevenness in the chassis, gaps, bumps, anodization chipping on the graphite model, or any other defects. It's cold here and I've had it in and out of my truck and house, on and off the charger and no glass cracks. If there's one minor point I'll make it will be to suggest you get a grippy case asap because this phone is big and aluminum is slippery. You're begging for a drop if you think you're going to go caseless without some damage eventually.

I won't bother commenting on other aspects because we've all seen the good reviews about stuff like camera. I only played with it a bit and so far I agree. The fingerprint scanner is amazing. So is the ambient display. having a dedicated co-processor handling those things rather than the main CPU is awesome. What I will say is that I simply don't even see any point from a buyer's standpoint in even considering any of the OEM offerings this year. Unless you really have a specific need for a stylus, there's just no reason to bother with Samsung's longer updates and Touchwiz android skin. In past years Google has placated the OEM's by making the Nexus 'pretty good' without totally eclipsing them. This year marks a complete departure from that. I don't know why they did so but I'm pretty damn happy about it.

SinfulDroid

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I've had mine for a little over a day now and I agree this phone really is amazing. Glad to see what other manufacturers are capable of.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Just spent my first evening with the 6P, and I can easily agree with the OP. The fingerprint scanner is very fast -- 1000x better than the fingerprint scanner on the Note 5.

FINALLY, Android has a phone that lives up to the iPhone standard.

Derek_B

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with the OP.

The only issues I've noticed software-wise are a couple of my installed apps misbehaving in 6.0 but it's really early days with Marshmallow still and I'm sure the devs will fix them before too long.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Art over at Android Police is already complaining about lag if you don't reboot the phones after 3 or 4 days. Anyone, notice this?

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I have had a couple of stutters whilst streaming music from play when I've rotated the screen. Nothing I'm bothered about but noticed and reproduced.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bkr11

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Could this really be the one??? From my OG Droid on Verizon to my HTC Thunderbolt to my Xperia Z1s to my S6 Active I have yet to experience an Android phone that doesn't eventually lag badly, randomly get hot, and ultimately require a reset/reinstall to get back to normal. I compare that to my Windows Phone experiences, which I must admit have been largely glitch free (920/1020/1520). Have been waiting for the 950 or 950XL (that camera!!!), but might give Android one more shot. If I'm doing that it would seem this would be the phone to do so on. Good price & great feedback so far.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Art over at Android Police is already complaining about lag if you don't reboot the phones after 3 or 4 days. Anyone, notice this?
To answer your question, see my first post in this thread. I've been heavily pushing this phone for the first 2 days and it's taking it like a champ. I'll post again on Friday but I'm predicting Art is full of it.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you mentioned 6.0 right out of the gate cause IMO it's not getting nearly enough attention. Like you said, it's flawless. There's nothing I can say about the phone that hasn't been said already. It'll last me a while and the combination of hardware or software, with a great camera and solid battery life easily makes this the best phone I've ever owned.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
To answer your question, see my first post in this thread. I've been heavily pushing this phone for the first 2 days and it's taking it like a champ. I'll post again on Friday but I'm predicting Art is full of it.

Ok. Art seems like like to hear himself speak so I'll wait for yours and others opinion.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree with OP that this phone is incredible. I've had mine for over a week and the only times I've had to reboot were to install Android security updates. The only real app issue I've had is with StubHub. It force closes when I try to scan my tickets. Probably needs an update. Other than that, apps have run flawlessly.

I think the iPhone is a superior quality phone is an urban myth. Yes, they make high quality devices but they are far from perfect. I only had the 4S but had to return two different ones because of defects. I'd say 75% of my friends own iPhones and at least half of those have had hardware issues with their phones at some point (everything from battery problems to defective screens).

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the 6P is a great phone. The only issue I had was the battery seemed to drain a lot in standby. I did a factory reset, set it up as a new device, and it's been outstanding since. I have a of apps, well over 130. When I set the phone up the second time I only downloaded the apps I thought I would use, still over 130 but not well over LOL. I'm not sure if one of them was effecting it or not.

Android 6.0 is really smooth and fluid on this phone, the smoothest that I've seen on an Android phone. Apps that used to scroll choppy are now smooth, and I like the Marshmellow animations. It really adds to the experience.

Android pay really works well on this phone. I really got hooked using Apple pay with my Iphone 6 Plus. I really liked how you could pay for something without unlocking your phone and how secure it seems to be. You still have to unlock your phone to use Android pay, but the speed in which you fingerprint unlock the Nexus 6P, and the location of the NFC antennae, makes it just as fast as Applepay. I have to believe Google designed it this way for that purpose.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
This phone is near perfect. I say near, because I would have liked a 5.4, 5.5 in screen for a overall smaller phone. The phone is definitely tall for a 5.7, but at least there's speakers there to make up for it.

This phone is fast, lasts easily through a day and Marshmallow is great. Good job Google!

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I see no lag. I was downloading apps and restoring photos and texting and no lag at all. Not ever warm. Stayed cool.

Nexus 6P

Mptrh336

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could share the sentiment of this post. I ordered my 6p the day that it was announced. Then, one month later on 10/29, it arrived. I was very happy with the battery, the screen, speed, camera etc. All was good, then, out of the blue the phone went dark. While I was working the phone ceased to work in my pocket. I pulled it out to check notifications and nothing. A call to Googles tech support had me attempt to boot into recovery then charge for an hour and do the same. Another 2 calls and they agreed to exchange it, but the guy sent the wrong email and set me up to simply return the device. Another call, and Google required me to authorize my card for ANOTHER $500+ to send me a new phone, promising to credit me when the faulty phone was returned to them. That was 2 days ago and the order is still "processing". I'm very disturbed by the support, or lack there of that Google has provided. I shouldn't have had to let them hold the money to replace this phone. I could see charging my card if they didn't receive the other one back, but man, it's been a week. I also think they need to step up the urgency on getting this back out to customers. I'm lucky I guess that I had access to another device. At this point I'm using an iPhone, but own a NEXUS 6P. I think I know what the "P" was supposed to mean. At least for now- for me it means NEXUS 6Paperweight...

digitaldroid

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
My third day in and I really love this phone! Coming from an LG G3 and its the same width but a bit taller which still feels great in my hand! What a great phone the only thing I have to get use too is the headphone jack being at the top now. lol and I keep hitting the volume button by mistake when I take it out of my pocket maxing out the ring volume... dam thing makes me jump its so loud lmao. But the build quality is really great, no complaints, love the pure google experience no more bloatware.