AT&T vs Verizon

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on AT&T with my Nexus 5. I just got my 6P so I'll need a new SIM which is an opportunity to switch carriers. My understanding is that AT&T doesn't support VoLTE on the 6P but Verizon does. On the other hand AT&T is a little cheaper than Verizon and it's coverage now seems to have caught up.

My questions are,

is VoLTE a significant enough to warrent switching carriers?

Has any one switched between the two recently, if so how does the network performance compare?

I was on Verizon with the Galaxy Nexus but switched to AT&T when the N5 came out because Verizon didn't support it. For the first year or so the AT&T network was noticeably patchier than Verizon although when it worked well it was faster, However in the last 6 months I've seen much better performance for AT&T in rural New Hampshire and Vermont, towns which were essentially dead now have LTE. However I have no current experience with Verizon so I don't know how good their network is these days, any comparisons would be welcome.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Recently... maybe not, but I did leave Verizon a year ago for AT&T... price was one of the reasons, but not the only... just tired of Verizon's attitude about everything.

I really like AT&T, but I'm also jumping ship today... Google's Project Fi... it's a lot cheaper, and I was already thinking about trying T-Mobile again. My SIM comes in today. I'm looking forward to trying that out. I think they already have some VoLTE capabilities, but I will be testing things out in the upcoming weeks.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The problem with Project FI is that it uses two useless networks, T-Mobile and Sprint. If you live in big city and never leave it then it's fine but elsewhere it will be crap. I've looked at the coverage maps for both T-Mobile and Sprint and neither one of them has any decent coverage in most of New England outside of the immediate Boston area.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I just went from a LG G3 on AT&T to the 6p on VZW. I have not had service at my desk on 3 different phones OG Note, S4, G3 with AT&T since I started this job 3 years ago. US Cellular and VZW have perfect service for everyone else, but T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T had literally 0 bars so that ruled out Fi. Towers all around (I'm 20 minutes from Milwaukee.) Enough was enough. The voice is WWWAAAAYYYYY clearer on the 6p than it ever was on the G3 and I now have perfect 4G LTE at my desk. I just got back from 4 days on the road, and literally did not have LTE for maybe a 2 mile stretch but still had 3G. I travel quite frequently to remote northern parts of Wisconsin. AT&T had no service outside the big cities. It's a little more expensive, but I'm also getting a better discount on VZW than AT&T.

Totally worth the switch IMO.

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Project Fi has been awesome so far. I am in metro Atlanta and haven't been out in the middle of nowhere yet to try it out. There have been a few places I noticed I have a signal when I didn't previously on VZW. But between VZW and ATT I have usually been more favorable of VZW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz