How does ambient display work on the Nexus 6P?

jasimpson89

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
A few questions:

1. Can you nudge the device to activate this. i.e. if it is on table and I displace the phone a long the table will it wake the device?

2. Does it pulse on and off? I seem to hear mix things about this.

3. Does it reliably come on when you pull the phone out of your pocket?

I seem to hear mixed things about ambient display from my searches so if someone could nail down these questions for me that would be great.

Many thanks in advance

James

sdbrud

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I've had the NP for about a week. Mt experience w/ Ambient Display has not been very encouraging.

"1. Can you nudge the device to activate this. i.e. if it is on table and I displace the phone a long the table will it wake the device? "

Does not work for me.

2. Does it pulse on and off? I seem to hear mix things about this.

No, I don't notice any pulsing.

3. Does it reliably come on when you pull the phone out of your pocket?

No not reliably. Strangely, if I pick the phone up off the table the display comes on. If I remove it from my pocket it doesn't.

Hope this helps.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I came from a moto x 2014, so the experience has been pretty different.

1) nudging the phone does not activate ambient display. I don't know if the phone either has the same amount/type/sensitivity as the moto x for this to be possible.

2) it does pulse for me, the pulses are just pretty far apart.

3) taking the phone out of your pocket does not activate the display. Again this may be due to the types/amounts/sensitivities of sensors.

I loved the moto display, so all of the features (aside from the pulse, which this does) I do miss. However, the only thing that I was really looking for out of ambient was the ability to slightly "peek" at my notifications. That way I know the urgency I need to respond with. Another thing to note, fwiw, is that the description of ambient display, in the settings menu, says it's only supposed to activate if the phone is picked up or receives a notification.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
While in a boring meeting at work, today, here's what I think I figured out about the ambient display...

I think the ambient display won't come until my phone has locked itself. i.e., I have my phone set so that it won't lock until 2 minutes after I turn off the screen. So, if I turn off the screen and put it down on the table, I'm unable to get the ambient display to kick in until two minutes have elapsed and the phone becomes locked. (If that's true, then I have no idea what that means to an phone that uses no lockscreen.)

To get the ambient display to kick in, I have to lift the phone to a nearly 90 degree angle from its resting position. (Maybe 75, maybe 80; sorry I didn't have protractor with me at this meeting :) ) Nudging it doesn't do a thing. Lifting it up partially to, say, a 30 degree angle won't do a thing. Gotta just grab it and lift it to be perpendicular to what its resting position was. When I repeatedly did that, I could get the ambient display to reliably come on every time. Didn't matter if I was lifting it sideways (so I was holding it in landscape, or if I lifted vertically (so I was holding it in portrait) - either way worked.

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
That's all very sad to hear. Do you have Bluetooth to keep your phone unlocked in your car? If so does the screen display the ambient notification when a message comes in or would you see a normal notification?

Deep_420

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had the phone a day...coming from a Moto X 2014 it sure is a bit of an adjustment. It definitely doesnt work as well as the Moto. I so far found that if I pick it up, tilt the top towards me and straighten the phone, the ambient display kicks in. Besides that, the notification display is pretty far apart. The toughest was at night, got into the habit of waving my hand in front of the Moto to display the time....woke up last night waving my hand like a mad man at the Nexus and nothing, that's when i remembered.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
To get the ambient display to kick in, I have to lift the phone to a nearly 90 degree angle from its resting position.

You can also pick the phone up and roll it so that one side (ie: the side with the volume buttons) is pointing straight up to the ceiling; then, place the phone back onto the table. Ambient display always shows.

Add me to the list of people who misses this feature -- have both the Moto X 2013 & 2014.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You can also pick the phone up and roll it so that one side (ie: the side with the volume buttons) is pointing straight up to the ceiling; then, place the phone back onto the table. Ambient display always shows.
Yup, that's what I meant when I said it also works when "lifting it sideways".

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
That's all very sad to hear. Do you have Bluetooth to keep your phone unlocked in your car? If so does the screen display the ambient notification when a message comes in or would you see a normal notification?

It still shows the ambient

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had the phone a day...coming from a Moto X 2014 it sure is a bit of an adjustment. It definitely doesnt work as well as the Moto. I so far found that if I pick it up, tilt the top towards me and straighten the phone, the ambient display kicks in. Besides that, the notification display is pretty far apart. The toughest was at night, got into the habit of waving my hand in front of the Moto to display the time....woke up last night waving my hand like a mad man at the Nexus and nothing, that's when i remembered.

Same experience for me, I have to lift it up swinging the top of the phone towards me to make it activate. Some reviewers pan the sensors on the more recent Moto devices as being too cluttered (only really a problem if you have a white face), bit it is much more functional than the implementation on the 6p. I also miss the ability to wave my hand over the screen to display the time/notifications. But I'm sure there will be apps that will work better with the hardware. The Moto X 2013 didn't have the IR sensors in the face and it still worked by nudging it, so I don't see why it couldn't work as well as it did on there. Perhaps an update could increase the sensitivity of the sensors, since as I recall Motorola had to send an update to decrease the sensitivity on the 2013 X and Droid line, so maybe there's hope.

jasimpson89

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I came from a moto x 2014, so the experience has been pretty different.

1) nudging the phone does not activate ambient display. I don't know if the phone either has the same amount/type/sensitivity as the moto x for this to be possible.

2) it does pulse for me, the pulses are just pretty far apart.

3) taking the phone out of your pocket does not activate the display. Again this may be due to the types/amounts/sensitivities of sensors.

I loved the moto display, so all of the features (aside from the pulse, which this does) I do miss. However, the only thing that I was really looking for out of ambient was the ability to slightly "peek" at my notifications. That way I know the urgency I need to respond with. Another thing to note, fwiw, is that the description of ambient display, in the settings menu, says it's only supposed to activate if the phone is picked up or receives a notification.

This is all sad news :( this makes my choice between the 6P and Moto Pure 2015 even harder.

osubeavs728 do you find that the peaking is more helpful than the moto display because is exactly what I thought I would find more useful but I haven't fully convinced myself of that fact yet. And also when you hold down on the notification you can see a preview of it on moto display

Also an open question to one anyone who moved from an MXPE to nexus 6P of vice versa do like it or wished you had stayed?

Last edited:

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
This is all sad news :( this makes my choice between the 6P and Moto Pure 2015 even harder.

osubeavs728 do you find that the peaking is more helpful than the moto display because is exactly what I thought I would find more useful but I haven't fully convinced myself of that fact yet. And also when you hold down on the notification you can see a preview of it on moto display

Also an open question to one anyone who moved from an MXPE to nexus 6P of vice versa do like it or wished you had stayed?

I can't say either way whether I like it better or worse. It's just.... Different. Because you're right; on the moto all I had to do was put my finger on the notification to peek at it, Now I don't. So I think generally I'm indifferent about it.

I would say give the 6P a try. The feel, battery and camera are all excellent. If you find that it doesn't display the features you want adequately, send that sucker back and grab the MXPE

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I came from a MXPE and was torn because I really like the screen -- eeven though I prefer the AMOLED screens. I know, go figure. I do miss the way the moto handled the notifications. In the end, it's all about pluses and minuses. I am thoroughly enjoying the fingerprint scanner to unlock and pay for things on google play. I like that the phone is more evenly balanced from a weight perspective. I found the top heavy MXPE took a bit to get used to. I also prefer the flat back so I can easily use the magnet mounts in the car -- much easier than the ones you have to lock in place with a clamp of some sort. The curve on the MXPE just wouldn't work so well for that. Both are excellent devices, which one is the best one for you, well, only you can determine. Hopefully this info helps.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Is Ambient Display the only was to get the screen to turn on whenever there's a notification?

I turned it off for awhile and noticed that my screen remained off when getting a email and/or text. I didn't know if that was the normal behavior. If it is then that's kind of a bummer due to the Ambient Displays poor performance. I too came from a 2013 Moto X and I love their Active Display.