Compass off by 180 degrees

tangozebra

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I got my 6P a few days ago and thought I had a perfect one, but have noticed that any app that uses the compass points opposite of true (north points to south). Anyone else with this? I've tried calibrating, etc. The heading seems pretty stable though wrong. Almost as if the compass was installed backwards.

I'd hate to have to send it back because of this.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I got my 6P a few days ago and thought I had a perfect one, but have noticed that any app that uses the compass points opposite of true (north points to south). Anyone else with this? I've tried calibrating, etc. The heading seems pretty stable though wrong. Almost as if the compass was installed backwards.

I'd hate to have to send it back because of this.

Try to calibrate it. Click on Google maps, and click the location thing in the corner. Every once in awhile it asks me to calibrate it, usually after a update or something

Posted via the Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Did some more testing, it's actually off by varying amounts, and sometimes just sticks at at direction even when rotated.

Solid-state compasses are notoriously inaccurate until properly calibrated, something which needs to be done often and especially whenever the device has been exposed to nearby magnetic fields and/or large mass of iron/steel.

Try this, if you haven't already: https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/6145351?hl=en

Never assume that your compass is accurate unless you calibrate it before use. This is especially important in life or death situations (like trying to find your way out of a deep, dark, forest).

PS: With careful googling, you can find many explanations for this requirement. Here is one of them: http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/17587/what-is-reason-for-electronic-compass-calibration

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1