Google Nexus 6P New Owner ... Thought for prospective buyers

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Folks!! Received my Nexus 6P this week. Here are the impressions of a new owner. (64GB, Aluminum).

First, I am coming from a Moto X 2013. It is funny, I loved that phone but it was clearly out of gas and time to upgrade. I always thought it was plenty big but now that I am on this beast, it feels itty bitty.

Verizon: Bringing it up on Verizon was a snap. I simply swapped the Simm card and turned it on. No issues at all. The 810 SOC is a single antenna system (like all modern chips) so you will have to activate Advanced Calling 1.0 to have concurrent Voice and Data. I did and it works fine. The phone came up as compatible. I only hope this service is as reliable as the old CDMA (which was fantastic!).

Migration: I tried the Android NFC / Android beam migration technique. It failed. I had NFC/AB on for the Moto X and N6P. I even took it to the Verizon store to get their help. No joy. This is a shame for I liked the alarm tone and phone ring tone on the Moto X and I have not been able to replace it (using Zedge).

Build Quality: It is good. Upon opening the box, I immediately pressed it to see if it flexed (bendgate) and it seemed strong. I have accidentally dropped it once and no apparent damage. I have none of the reported “hump” in the back. It is very well made.

Screen Quality: It is beautiful. Big and beautiful.

Speed: Compared to the Moto X, lightning fast. No heat issues.

Battery: Yesterday I got 5.5 hours of SOT. It lasted 11.5 hours in total of very heavy use. Lots of phone calls, set up time, emails (I run 3, one POP, one gmail and one Exchange) and browsing. Most of this was on WIFI, not LTE. I was happy with this. I ran the battery until the phone shut down. I plugged it in for exactly 20 mins and it got up to 30% charge. This lasted the rest of the night, mostly web browsing, with ~12% when I went to bed. I did not try to test/measure the Doze feature.

Usability: The phone is huge. This is not fair to compare, but compared to the Moto X it is difficult in your hand. It is so thin that putting it in your back pocket is not an issue. The front pocket … not so much. With that being said, using the phone is quite nice. Outside I could read the screen well. Inside it was a delight. It renders websites as fast as my desktop. The on screen flow when scrolling is smooth and natural. Touching anything and it “pops” instantly (i.e.. launching a new app). In short, with two hands … this thing is a delight. With one hand … a bit difficult.

Marshmallow (MM): Overall, very nice. Seems stable and follows much of the Lollipop interface so it is instantly usable. I am going to miss the Moto X (Moto Assist) features. Some of these are in MM like “Do Not Disturb”. However, the Moto X really had it right with the “while driving” and “in a meeting” options. The way it read the text to you and then allowed you to reply all without ever taking your eyes off the road was fantastic. I hope Google copies more and more of that into the native OS.

One other nitpick of MM is the new Photos App. It does have some very cool capability like search. It will blow your mind. However, I like Gallery in Lollipop better for one reason. I copy literally thousands of pics onto my phone. (I have an easy way to shrink them. I will put that at the end of this note.). They are all stored in separate directories. For example; Daughter Wedding, 20xx Vacation, Dogs …. Gallery used to view each directory as an album. MM Photos simply mashes them all together.

The rest of MM is very good. The Search feature in the App Drawer is fantastic. MM is more stable than Lollipop (or at least more stable than Lollipop on my Moto X 2013).

Camera: I have only taken ~30ish pics with this thing since I got it. They have all been test pics. The camera does extremely well. I took them in very low light (late dusk), bright light, indoor and outdoor. I played with the Panoramic and Photo Sphere. I had my wife take the exact same pic with her iPhone so we could compare. Overall, it did extremely well … FAR better than the Moto X camera (not saying a ton). I am very happy with all the results. As an FYI: I changed the format from 4:3 to 16:9. This drove down the resolution, but I like the pictures better.

Summary: I am going to keep the phone. It will take some getting used to the size, but I can see that is already happening. The idea phone would be the Nexus 5X size with the 6P screen, processor, battery life, build quality and price. If it were 80% its current size I believe the usability would actually go up. It is a great value and I applaud Google / Huawei for delivering this quality at this price. I hope it is a trend for other manufacturers.

Thanks for reading this far.

Vizsla_Buddy

PS: Quick tip for shrinking a pic so you can put more on your phone: I take my pictures at a pretty high resolution (say 8MP+). I have a nice Cannon SLR that I use a ton. This leads to a fairly large image even after compressed. My picture library is ~30GB on my PC. Often, I would love to have these pics with me for various reason but it really isn’t practical for it chews up a phone pretty fast. Here is a real simple solution IF you are a Microsoft Outlook user. In Windows Explorer highlight the pictures you want to compress (Click at the beginning and then shift click at the end of the list). Right mouse click and select Send To > Mail Recipient. A dialog box will appear asking what size you want to have the pic sent. I select Medium (1024x768) and hit Attach. This then creates a mail message with the newly formatted pics. I click inside the attachment section of that message and do a CNTL-A to highlight all the pictures. I then drag and drop this into a new file folder on my machine and presto …. Exact shrunken copies of my pics that can easily be loaded onto a phone. A 4MB pic becomes ~70k. You would not want to use this for printing or anything, but on a phone screen it looks perfect and takes almost no space. I still have the original if I need a higher resolution.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Owner ... Thought for prospective buyers

Thanks for that thoughtful writeup! Still waiting for mine to be shipped.:'(

Regarding the Google Photos app--if you swipe in from left and tap Device Folders, this will group the locally saved photos by directory, so that might work a little better for you.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I just let Google Photos backup my photos I take with my DSLR. Then they are always accessible in the cloud and I don't ever bother storing them on my phone. Also makes it easy to get to them from my work computer. Google Photos saves them as around 2-3 MB's each. But I'm not too worried about data when viewing as I'm usually on wifi.

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for that thoughtful writeup! Still waiting for mine to be shipped.:'(

Regarding the Google Photos app--if you swipe in from left and tap Device Folders, this will group the locally saved photos by directory, so that might work a little better for you.

TOUCHDOWN!!!!! I looked and look for that capability and could not find it anywhere. Thank you.

Why not me

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

can you comment a bit more in outdoor readability. Was it very bright sunlight .Colors washed out much?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

I'm also coming from the original Moto X and feel similarly, overall. In particular, I already was feeling my Moto X screen wasn't large enough. Like you, I noticed the lag and it has always had some amount of heat issues. I miss, though it isn't a major issue, some of the Moto features; such as driving mode and being able to do an "OK Google" type command when the phone is off -- particularly asking "what's up". I don't think ambient display bothers me as the implementation on the original Moto X wasn't that much better than on the 6P, since that Moto X did not have the movement sensors.

The one thing I love, and what definitely made me go for the 6P rather than a new Moto X, is the fingerprint sensor. Additionally, especially with the delay in getting Lollipop to the original Moto X, and its not being updated to Marshmallow, makes me want to go back to a Nexus for the swift Android updates. I no longer trust Motorola to provide the updates in a timely manner.

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

can you comment a bit more in outdoor readability. Was it very bright sunlight .Colors washed out much?

So I just went outside to read this page so I could give an informed decision. I live in North Carolina. It is 2:00pm on a beautiful sunny day. I turned allowing the sun directly on the phone's screen.

I could easily read the screen. Understandably, it was not there same experience as indoors, but it was very readable. Turning so that my body made shade on the screen and then it was crystal clear again. In short, very usable. Hope that helps.

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I'm also coming from the original Moto X and feel similarly, overall. In particular, I already was feeling my Moto X screen wasn't large enough. Like you, I noticed the lag and it has always had some amount of heat issues. I miss, though it isn't a major issue, some of the Moto features; such as driving mode and being able to do an "OK Google" type command when the phone is off -- particularly asking "what's up". I don't think ambient display bothers me as the implementation on the original Moto X wasn't that much better than on the 6P, since that Moto X did not have the movement sensors.

The one thing I love, and what definitely made me go for the 6P rather than a new Moto X, is the fingerprint sensor. Additionally, especially with the delay in getting Lollipop to the original Moto X, and its not being updated to Marshmallow, makes me want to go back to a Nexus for the swift Android updates. I no longer trust Motorola to provide the updates in a timely manner.

There is not one word here that I disagree with. I did love the " what's up " command. I travel a lot for business. If I got up in the middle of the night to us the bathroom, I would say "what's up" to get the time. Very useful. I too no longer trust Motorola with updates.

Vizsla_Buddy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

One last thought for folks on the 6p.... The buttons (volume and power) are in the wrong place. The need to be slightly higher on the phone. It is way too easy to turn the thing of by mistake. Note this isn't a huge deal for a twitch of my finger against the print reader and it pops back to where I was.

FZDolfan

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

There is one bug of sorts that I found with the 6P (mine anyway), and that is that I can't always send tones. I have a teletime system to call into for work, and when I press the numbers the system says I didn't enter anything. At first I thought it was a problem with VoIP calling on Project Fi, but now that I've canceled that and am using the phone on Verizon, it's still not working. By the way, I did try disabling the "enhanced privacy" setting in the call settings, but that made no difference.
Anyone else have this issue with sending tones to recordings?

tdi1985

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

One last thought for folks on the 6p.... The buttons (volume and power) are in the wrong place. The need to be slightly higher on the phone. It is way too easy to turn the thing of by mistake. Note this isn't a huge deal for a twitch of my finger against the print reader and it pops back to where I was.

Interesting, I actually feel like they're exactly where I'd want them, when I rest the bottom of the phone on my pinky and cradled in my palm, my thumb is perfectly even with the buttons. Also, for what it's worth, when I stand the 6P and my old Galaxy S5 up vertically, the power buttons are virtually in the exact same spot, so I think these buttons are calibrated from the bottom of the phone, and not to scale with the overall size of the phone. I will admit that just looking at the placement of the buttons they seem a little lost in the middle of the frame, but I think they're in the right spot.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Interesting, I actually feel like they're exactly where I'd want them, when I rest the bottom of the phone on my pinky and cradled in my palm, my thumb is perfectly even with the buttons. Also, for what it's worth, when I stand the 6P and my old Galaxy S5 up vertically, the power buttons are virtually in the exact same spot, so I think these buttons are calibrated from the bottom of the phone, and not to scale with the overall size of the phone. I will admit that just looking at the placement of the buttons they seem a little lost in the middle of the frame, but I think they're in the right spot.

Same here - they work perfectly for my hands. Holding it normally in a right hand, all 3 buttons are immediately and easily accessible to your thumb. Took me no more than a day to get used to them coming from other Nexuses and I think I prefer it.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

As far as the ringtones you want to transfer over, I have done it two different ways.

First you can hook up your 2013 X to a computer and find them and copy them off, then do the reverse with the 6p.

Second, you can download a file manager app (Astro, ES File Explorer) and find the ringtones. From there you can either upload them to Google Drive and then download them on you 6p, or you may be able to simply email them to yourself (depending on file size since some email apps have size limits). Once you download them to your device, you will move them into the same folders they were in on your old device.

Generally, using either a file manager app or the file manager on a PC, you find them in different folders. Ringtones are in the ringtones folder, notification tones are in the notifications folder, and alarm tones are in the alarms folder. Sometimes they're in a folder I believe is called media (you might have to click thru a couple subfolders to get to what you want). But after you find them, just pick one of the options I listed above and you should have no issues moving them to your new device. I do find that uploading them to Google Drive is the best option, that way the next time you go to a new device, you can download them from Drive to your new device.

Hope that helps.

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts. I came here looking for validation as I wait on my 6P to arrive next week.

Like you, I'm coming from a Moto X (2013). The size of the phones these days is a bit off putting, so I'm sure it'll take some getting used to. Particularly since I'm an Otterbox Defender holster kind of guy.

I've found a couple of similar sub-$10 holsters on Amazon that I'll try out, but I have a feeling that something this big will feel weird (at best) or be an accident waiting to happen.

Anyone here using case/holster combos?

--
Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.

FZDolfan

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

For me, it's not that the power button seemed lower, but rather that the power and volume rocker are on the same side. I find myself inadvertently hitting the volume button just when grabbing the phone.
Also, though I'm right-handed, I use my phone much in the same way I use a tablet. I hold it in my left hand and use my right to do stuff on the screen. So....the volume on the left side of the Galaxy S5 was actually better for me.
I'll get used to this though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae