Screen Overlay Detected - To Change This Permission......6P is messed up

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone got this error message? I'm trying to share a photo via facebook and whether from my gallery app or from facebook. It asks if I want to give FB access to my storage. I say yes. It says "Screen overlay detected- To change this permission setting you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Settings > Apps"

I do that but nothing works. Whether it says NO by FB's Screen Overlay allowed, or YES - it still just directs me in this endless loops. Have tried reboots and nothing. Anybody else experiencing anything similar?

mrrogers1

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
You have to turn off the screen overlay for ALL the apps in that list when you get the error message and go to the page. Once they are all, you can give Fb permissions and then you can go back to the overlay screen and enable those apps that were set to yes. I have found that some apps just don't work without overlay enabled I'm not entirely sure why it's like this BUT I sure hope it gets fixed or made easier to do. It's nothing to actually do with "Fb" permissions on that page... it's weird.

bel_coeur

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
You have to turn off the screen overlay for ALL the apps in that list when you get the error message and go to the page. Once they are all, you can give Fb permissions and then you can go back to the overlay screen and enable those apps that were set to yes. I have found that some apps just don't work without overlay enabled I'm not entirely sure why it's like this BUT I sure hope it gets fixed or made easier to do. It's nothing to actually do with "Fb" permissions on that page... it's weird.

I have the same issue. Whether it's the Facebook or Twitter mobile app or through the browser. A friend said I'll have to do a factory reset. But i don't think i should have to. But how do you turn off the screen overlay? I don't see anything saying turn screen overlay on or off. Running stock Android 6 on T-Mobile.

So I called Motorola. They were able to help & fix my issue with the 'screen overlay detected.' The tech said in the settings for 'Draw Over Other Apos' to select yes for all. Power off the device. Power back on. And it solved the issue. Hope that helps others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rckfsh69

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue. LG. It didn't start until this latest system update I received yesterday. I don't have any screen filters. It just puts you in a loop with no solution. Changing the settings where the popup takes you does nothing. Not only can I not upload or open photos but I can't change permissions on any app. It's effecting more apps than fb, etc. It's really getting old.

Joebee879

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue. LG. It didn't start until this latest system update I received yesterday. I don't have any screen filters. It just puts you in a loop with no solution. Changing the settings where the popup takes you does nothing. Not only can I not upload or open photos but I can't change permissions on any app. It's effecting more apps than fb, etc. It's really getting old.

Same issue here Rckfsh... LG G4. Cant do a thing with it.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I encounter this issue with the Velis Auto Brightness app on my nVIDIA Shield K1 tablet. At first I used to uninstall the app and then reinstall it to get around the problem. I found that I can either turn off the app or do a 'forced stop" in Settings/Apps to prevent the app from affecting the installation of other apps.

Posted via the Android Central App
Nexus 6P+Nougat +Project Fi

Jodene Cummings

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site

I'm having this issue too but I've already tried turning everything off even system apps but it still tells me screen overlay detected. Nothing I've tried will fix it and a lot of my apps are giving me this error now. I don't have Twilight or anything like that, at least not that I know of. My phone did a system update yesterday and now I'm having this problem. Help!! Please.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this issue too but I've already tried turning everything off even system apps but it still tells me screen overlay detected. Nothing I've tried will fix it and a lot of my apps are giving me this error now. I don't have Twilight or anything like that, at least not that I know of. My phone did a system update yesterday and now I'm having this problem. Help!! Please.
Hello Jodene, welcome to the forums. Do you have File Manager or any other app by Cheetah Mobile (CM) installed in your phone? Many users with a similar problem managed to fix it after uninstalling any CM app.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My phone did a system update yesterday and now I'm having this problem.
It would be rather strange for a system update to cause this issue. You could reboot into Safe Mode and see if the problem goes away - if it does then some 3rd party app is causing that behavior.

Jessica Sullivan

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I just got the update, and had the same problem. I think I fixed it by resetting app preferences then restarting the phone. I've had to allow apps to access things that they already had access to before the update; but I haven't had the "screen overlay detected" pop up again

I have a LG G4

naresh bodiga

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone got this error message? I'm trying to share a photo via facebook and whether from my gallery app or from facebook. It asks if I want to give FB access to my storage. I say yes. It says "Screen overlay detected- To change this permission setting you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Settings > Apps"

I do that but nothing works. Whether it says NO by FB's Screen Overlay allowed, or YES - it still just directs me in this endless loops. Have tried reboots and nothing. Anybody else experiencing anything similar?
It really works try to uninstall all cm app and restart your device it has accecepeble

Mas Rizal

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site

Same with me 😥