Adaptive brightness

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I usually leave it on, but decided to turn it off for a bit, does anyone else think this screen is crazy bright? I have my brightness almost all the way down, (about 2mm from the left of the slider). This plus the amazing battery, make this there best nexus I've ever had.

Posted via the Android Central App

SinfulDroid

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Really you have it almost all the way down? I just tried that and could barely see a thing. For me this is the least bright phone I've ever used, and also the first phone where I need to keep the brightness at max.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess I'm in the other camp. This phone is very bright to me even at 50%.

I don't use adaptive brightness because I don't like how it changes it for no apparent reason sometimes while I'm looking at the screen.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Really you have it almost all the way down? I just tried that and could barely see a thing. For me this is the least bright phone I've ever used, and also the first phone where I need to keep the brightness at max.

Do you have adaptive brightness on or off? If you turn it down with it on, the screen does stay really dark

Last edited:

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm struggling with the adaptive brightness vs. the toggle on the notification bar. I almost want it to be one or the other. If you have adaptive brightness on, the phone should completely control your brightness settings. If you have it off, you have full manual control. I feel that I still need to adjust the bar here and there even though the phone should be brightening or darkening on its own.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm struggling with the adaptive brightness vs. the toggle on the notification bar. I almost want it to be one or the other. If you have adaptive brightness on, the phone should completely control your brightness settings. If you have it off, you have full manual control. I feel that I still need to adjust the bar here and there even though the phone should be brightening or darkening on its own.

I've also found adaptive brightness wonky in most of my devices over the years. I only use it because I drive with my phone mounted a lot and like not having to fiddle with brightness mid-drive to adjust for varying sun/cloud/night situations outside. However I did notice that with it turned off the screen is much brighter on a lower slider setting so there's probably even more battery savings to be had that way.

My biggest issue with adaptive brightness on Android is that the variances are too subtle. What I mean by that is if even if I go from a dark room to sunny daylight the increase in brightness isn't large enough for my liking and I end up having to pull down the quick menu and raise it anyway, defeating the purpose of 'adaptive'. If there's was also a scaler option for how adaptive it behaves besides just the regular brightness slider that would be a great idea. For example there could be a submenu under adaptive brightness settings asking you if you would like 10% increments or 20% increments. For simplicity's sake I believe they intend that to be handled automatically, but in my experience it doesn't do that well enough.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I've also found adaptive brightness wonky in most of my devices over the years. I only use it because I drive with my phone mounted a lot and like not having to fiddle with brightness mid-drive to adjust for varying sun/cloud/night situations outside. However I did notice that with it turned off the screen is much brighter on a lower slider setting so there's probably even more battery savings to be had that way.

My biggest issue with adaptive brightness on Android is that the variances are too subtle. What I mean by that is if even if I go from a dark room to sunny daylight the increase in brightness isn't large enough for my liking and I end up having to pull down the quick menu and raise it anyway, defeating the purpose of 'adaptive'. If there's was also a scaler option for how adaptive it behaves besides just the regular brightness slider that would be a great idea. For example there could be a submenu under adaptive brightness settings asking you if you would like 10% increments or 20% increments. For simplicity's sake I believe they intend that to be handled automatically, but in my experience it doesn't do that well enough.

Completely agree. The adaptive brightness is weird or just plain off on this phone. When I turn it off, I find the screen to be ridiculously bright. That's a good idea though, a scalable adaptive brightness.

PittDucky

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

There's definitely a lot of room for improvement with it. I don't know if I'm just remembering an old phone more fondly than it ever was, but I thought my Galaxy S5 did it great. The only time I ever took manual control over it was when I was watching a movie at the gym and wanted it at max brightness because I didn't care about battery and wanted to be able to see it well.

That said, it's not terrible on this phone. I just don't think I really understand it that well. It could use some of your suggestions, but I guess stock Android is stock Android.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I recommend the Velis Auto Brightness app. It gives you a lot more control over the brightness adjustment of the screen.

Amylase453

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So far this has been only complaint, the adaptive brightness changes when, seemingly, the ambient light does not. I'm going to try Velis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech