Anyone who drives frequently with amoled phones?

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Looking for people who have a lot of past experience with amoled phones and have commonly left the display on for 30 minutes or more while driving. The reason I'm asking this is because when I drive, my phone IS my infotainment system and I prefer that to pairing it to the one in my vehicle. because of that, my display stays on for the entire duration of driving and I'm wondering if I'm risking burn-in to the screen (all my prior phones were LCD). I don't have my brightness cranked up or anything if that makes a difference.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Why does the screen need to be on all the time? Before I got Android auto, I used my 2 moto X's in the manner you describe and never had an issue. But with that said, the screen wasn't on all the time; only during navigation, and maps has a screen blanking mode for long trips.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Why does the screen need to be on all the time? Before I got Android auto, I used my 2 moto X's in the manner you describe and never had an issue. But with that said, the screen wasn't on all the time; only during navigation, and maps has a screen blanking mode for long trips.

thanks for that, but I'm looking specifically for an answer to my setup as it stands currently.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
AMOLED screens definitely can burn in after long periods of time, and yes screen brightness affects this. Pick any Samsung flagship made in the last few years (they all used OLEDs) and google the model followed by "burn in" and you will see. Thankfully the issue isn't serious and is usually barely noticeable even in the bad cases. Some people seem to have better luck than others as well with burn-in (I.e. seems to affect some people much sooner than others). Probably not a big deal, but I personally would not be leaving my screen on for hours at a time. You could also probably make a case for an RMA if it burnt in, since Google isn't telling you not to leave the screen on for extended periods.

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Burn-in does/will occur with static graphics on AMOLED screens. If you are really concerned about it, you can always run JScreenFix from time to time.

There are also some good free videos on YouTube. Search for user "ScreenBurnFixer" ... he has a bunch of 16x9 pattern videos to help reduce burn in. I like his one titled "100 - 16:9". If you look at his channel, he also has a one hour version of the same video, for tackling more severe burn.

cheers.

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site
this only happens if the screen is totally static correct?

Correct.

On last year's Nexus 6, it was common with the Home, Back, and Recent Apps buttons, since they are static on the nav bar. Only time will tell if it's a problem with the 6P as well.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Just as an aside, it also happens with LCD screens. I have a Nexus 7 2012 that I use as a permanent clock, and that screen has really bad burn in.

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Correct.

On last year's Nexus 6, it was common with the Home, Back, and Recent Apps buttons, since they are static on the nav bar. Only time will tell if it's a problem with the 6P as well.

ohhh boy - those white shapes are pretty much always up when the phone is on. coming from a OPO so those buttons were capacitive touch on the device itself.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Being new to these types of screens, I find having the brightness on anything higher than like a smidgen from the left to be too bright unless I'm outside. Then I randomly pull it over to where I can see it and it's usually for like 15 mins.

Having it so low, will that keep the burn in factor also low? I'm hoping to sell this nexus 6 that's a little over a month old here soon and make the switch to the 6p that's sitting on my dresser. I need to just do it, the new phone is finally set up the way I like it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03