The Only Thing I Don't Like About the Nexus 6P is the Weight

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I love my Nexus 6P except for one thing - the weight. I was used to carrying around a OnePlus One in my pocket, and that phone just felt so much lighter - with almost the same screen size. The N6P is only 10% heavier, but for some reason, it just feels a lot heavier than that. Other than that, I am very happy with it. I might go back to my OPO for a daily driver when it gets MM just because it's so much easier to carry around.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It feels fine to me but I have changed phones a ton. As long as a phone isn't a brick (like with those battery pack cases) I am good to go.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I loved this phone's feel in the hand. It wasn't too wide or heavy.

Until I put a Spigen case on it. Now it feels like the Nexus Shamu 6 again

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
It feels fine to me but I have changed phones a ton. As long as a phone isn't a brick (like with those battery pack cases) I am good to go.

That's part of the problem - I find this phone impossible to handle without some sort of case. I use a thin clear gel case, but it still adds to the balk and weight somewhat. I found the OPO extremely easy to hold because of the sandstone back and sides, so I did not need a case.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
It's 16 grams heavier...no way would you notice that in your pocket. It would be difficult to reliably tell a difference between the two without measuring equipment.

Handheld comfort is subjective though. For me I have zero problems using it with or without a case, and I can easily use it one-handed. For me, it is very comfortable.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
It's 16 grams heavier...no way would you notice that in your pocket. It would be difficult to reliably tell a difference between the two without measuring equipment.

Handheld comfort is subjective though. For me I have zero problems using it with or without a case, and I can easily use it one-handed. For me, it is very comfortable.

You are right, that doesn't make sense. But to me, it is a huge difference. I try them side by side, and yes, I can definitely tell the difference. I just have this feeling that the weight is under-reported. I am not the only one. I saw a lot of early reviewers expressing surprise during unboxings about the "heft" of the device. Some used phrases like "solidly heavy", etc.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Impressions are impressions and thanks for your feedback. However, when it comes to size and weight, I'm all for being light unless battery is sacrificed. My Nexus battery performance has been great so far.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
That's part of the problem - I find this phone impossible to handle without some sort of case. I use a thin clear gel case, but it still adds to the balk and weight somewhat. I found the OPO extremely easy to hold because of the sandstone back and sides, so I did not need a case.

My impression is that the Frost 6P is easier to hold, not as slick, than the other colors.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
You are right, that doesn't make sense. But to me, it is a huge difference. I try them side by side, and yes, I can definitely tell the difference. I just have this feeling that the weight is under-reported. I am not the only one. I saw a lot of early reviewers expressing surprise during unboxings about the "heft" of the device. Some used phrases like "solidly heavy", etc.

It's 178g with sim card according to my digital kitchen scale. The weight is objectively and precisely what they say it is. Lying about something so easy for people to verify would be a a pretty stupid thing for a manufacturer to do.

As for your personal tastes, each to their own :) I know for a fact that if someone attached an extra 16g to my person while I was walking or something, I wouldn't notice. MAYBE if I had both devices side by side and did a careful comparison could I notice it. Regardless, if 16g is make or break, I find that extremely surprising. You could easily add that by putting a case on the Oneplus.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I came from a Lumia 1020, which was a little chunky at 158g. The 6P only weighs 20g more, but it feels lighter due to the fact that the weight is pretty evenly distributed. So it doesn't really bother me, and besides I prefer phones on the heavier side because it makes them feel more "substantial" over "cheap".

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Lumia 1020, which was a little chunky at 158g. The 6P only weighs 20g more, but it feels lighter due to the fact that the weight is pretty evenly distributed. So it doesn't really bother me, and besides I prefer phones on the heavier side because it makes them feel more "substantial" over "cheap".
I have the Moto X Pure Edition, which is 179g. I had a Nokia Lumia 920, which was much smaller but a beast at 185g.

lipmonger

May 30, 2013
Visit site

Coming from the OPO... I can honestly say I notice the added weight of the Nexus 6P. It's a noticeably heavier phone. That said... It's not something that bothers me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz