Battery question

Dekel1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
First, sorry for my English.
I'm new to Android, been using iPhone for years.
When I'm looking in my battery usage it says 95% - 4 hours until finish.
I never used android so I wanted to know if this is really only 4 hours, if yes why? Isn't this phone supposed to have a really good battery?
Only downloaded regular apps, like WhatsApp and Facebook.
Thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The 4 hours is an estimate, based on your usage so far. If you've had the screen on the whole time since you took the phone off charger, the system is assuming you'll keep it on for the rest of the battery charge, which corresponds to an approximately 4 hour duration before the battery is drained (the screen is the biggest battery drain for any device, and 4 hour screen-on time for a single battery charge is fairly typical). If you check later (assuming you turn the screen off intermittently with normal usage), the estimated time left will adjust to a longer duration.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to seconded what b.Diddy said, it's based on the usage from the time you unplugged to when you looked, if you have the phone off 15 mins and look again, you'll probably see something different.

I also wanted to say that your English was spot on and you should never have to apologize for it.

Android is international (maybe even multidimensional), and I think most of us realize that English is not always going to be a first, or even a second language for some people.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I also wanted to say that your English was spot on and you should never have to apologize for it.

Android is international (maybe even multidimensional), and I think most of us realize that English is not always going to be a first, or even a second language for some people.

Awesomeness.:cool:

Dekel1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi i have another question.
I lost about 7-9% over night, maybe my doze doesn't work properly?
Went to bed with 45-47% woke up with 35%

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Battery, tap Menu, then Battery Optimization. Are there any apps that aren't optimized?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you can optimize those anyway, so that's normal. The phone was completely undisturbed overnight, right? No one happened to pick it up or move it in the middle of the night?

Dekel1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't think you can optimize those anyway, so that's normal. The phone was completely undisturbed overnight, right? No one happened to pick it up or move it in the middle of the night?

No, it was on the table all night.. But i did get some notifications from WhatsApp.. Maybe it "woke" the doze?

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and did a factory reset on mine this week after seeing Doze never kicking in.

First day after doing so I could clearly see when Doze was working.

Posted via the Android Central App

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
No, it was on the table all night.. But i did get some notifications from WhatsApp.. Maybe it "woke" the doze?

Had the exact same issue as you (doze worked for a day or two, then seemed to have a bug with WiFi), and after several days of troubleshooting I finally went into WiFi settings --> Advanced --> Keep WiFi On During Sleep --> Only When Plugged In

That fixed it for me. I believe there is a bug keeping WiFi on during Doze, even though WiFi is supposed to be 'sleeping' during doze. To support this theory, my battery graphs always showed WiFi on even when I manually disabled WiFi altogether, dozing or not. This won't affect anything, because Doze is supposed to mostly turn off your WiFi anyway. Now I lose between 0% and 2% overnight. For example last night I went to bed at 10PM with 41%, woke up this morning at 7:30 AM (9.5 hours later) and it was still at 41%. Amazing. I literally get 3-day battery life thanks to Doze. I'm currently 60.5 hours since my last charge and I have 37% battery left.

I also turned off the "follow me" feature in location settings, and my location settings are set to "battery saving" (No need for high accuracy unless using navigation). Not sure if those made a difference.

I also find that using DND mode of any kind while sleeping makes my phone use 2-3% overnight compared to 0-1% without. Not a big deal, but I do believe there is a tiny difference. You can also just make your ringer/notification volume low and alarm volume high for the same effect.

Lastly, regarding WhatsApp, unless the app is fully closed, and not running in the background, it eats battery. It did on my N5 and it does on my 6P. Nothing major, but it's noticeable.

sidsub

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Actually a loss of 7 points overnight doesn't sound bad to me. Most phones, including iphones, will lose more. Previous android phones I've had before marshmallow would lose 30+ points doing nothing for 7 or 8 hours.

Dekel1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Can you show us some screenshots of your battery stats, specifically including the overnight period? Show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
Screenshot_20151127-153936.jpg
Screenshot_20151127-153942.jpg
Screenshot_20151127-153948.jpg

The blank white spot is because i closed the phone during the night.. Thinking maybe he needs some "rest".. :\
What is this black android bty? MediaServer and 99000???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It'd be more helpful to keep the phone on overnight, so we can better see anything that might be causing the drain.

Media Server is a system app that's related to music or video file access. I'm not sure exactly what its functions are, but I know that if there's a corrupt media file somewhere, Media Server can work overtime and use more battery (probably because the Media Scanner is trying to scan that file over and over again). Your Media Server usage looks normal. I'm not sure what the 99000 app is, but I have seen various system apps with different numbers pop up from time to time. 1% usage doesn't make me worry too much.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Actually a loss of 7 points overnight doesn't sound bad to me. Most phones, including iphones, will lose more. Previous android phones I've had before marshmallow would lose 30+ points doing nothing for 7 or 8 hours.

I agree that it doesn't sound bad compared to my past phones but when I leave my 6P unplugged over night (around 8 hours) I usually only lose 2%.