Nexus 6P - Unable to Unlock Bootloader (Flashboot Flashing Unlock - Not Working), what can I do to get past this point?

senarc

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 6P - Unable to Unlock Bootloader (Flashboot Flashing Unlock - Not Working)

I've done all the prerequisites, Android SDK & USB drivers. While bootloader screen is on phone, I enter, from the "platform-tools" directory, into the command window, "Flashboot Devices" and the serial number is returned as expected. When I enter "Flashboot Flashing Unlock", a list of commands are returned in the command window and nothing happens on the phone. Listed, with the other stats, on the bootloader screen of the phone, it says "Device is LOCKED". No matter what I do, I cannot get past this point. I then tried to run in the command window, "fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.2-angler.img" and it returned:
sending 'recovery' (16880 KB) ... OKAY
writing 'recovery' ... FAILED (remote: device is locked. Cannot flash images)

Any clues on how to get past this point?

Thanks

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P - Unable to Unlock Bootloader (Flashboot Flashing Unlock - Not Working)

Same thing happened to me. Leads me to believe the SDK itself is not recognizing the flashing command. My SDK is pretty old version.

I just gave up and did it with skipsoft's toolkit. First time using skip's. It worked fine.

6p 👌

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6P - Unable to Unlock Bootloader (Flashboot Flashing Unlock - Not Working)

Update your sdk tools.

The command is

Fastboot flashing unlock

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I had the same issue and it turned out be that I didn't have the latest adb tools.

I had to download the latest version from Google and then it worked like a charm.

Make sure you are using version 1.0.32 (I was on 1.0.31).

Also, the command is fastboot flashing unlock

Rick

Posted via the Android Central App

segler

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Agree. If you use the older adb, the command is fastboot oem unlock. With the newer adb, the command is fastboot flashing unlock.

Why they had to change that is beyond me.

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

Agree. If you use the older adb, the command is fastboot oem unlock. With the newer adb, the command is fastboot flashing unlock.

Why they had to change that is beyond me.
But the old command doesn't work on our new phones. They changed it with the security.

senarc

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

Thanks, that was the problem. However, now after doing the final step of rooting my n6p, I flashed the file "BETA-SuperSU-v2.52.zip" and selected Reboot. They say it may take a few minutes, but my phone has been rebooting now for the past 30 minutes. It just keeps showing 4 colorful circles spinning as it normally does during booting, but it won't get past that point. Should I use a different file for rooting? Not sure what else to do...

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You have to first install the new boot.img file, then install root 2.52.

Check out Heisenberg's sticky thread on XDA under the 6p general section.

I just installed TWRP and rooted my 6p about an hour ago. I just finished taking a Nandroid backup and Ti backup.

Posted via the Android Central App

BillA#AC

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

I've done all the prerequisites, Android SDK & USB drivers. While bootloader screen is on phone, I enter, from the "platform-tools" directory, into the command window, "Flashboot Devices" and the serial number is returned as expected. When I enter "Flashboot Flashing Unlock", a list of commands are returned in the command window and nothing happens on the phone. Listed, with the other stats, on the bootloader screen of the phone, it says "Device is LOCKED". No matter what I do, I cannot get past this point. I then tried to run in the command window, "fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.2-angler.img" and it returned:
sending 'recovery' (16880 KB) ... OKAY
writing 'recovery' ... FAILED (remote: device is locked. Cannot flash images)

Any clues on how to get past this point?

Thanks

You must first enable OEM Unlock under Settings > Developer Options.
If Developer Options doesn't show then go to Settings > Info/About Phone > tap the Build line 7 times quickly then go back to Settings > Developer Option and enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging. After that you should be able to send flash unlock commands (some may fail but at least one should work):
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot flashing unlock_critical

Then finally send your flashing command ;)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513