Real Life Cell phone Coverage

adjuster11

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
How's your Sprint/TMobile cell service working on your Nexus?

I've got a 6p and anywhere outside of a major metro area, it seems like it needs a day to "take" so you get some coverage.

I've looked at Fi's coverage map, and even though it showed coverage, I had none for a good 75 mile drive on Wednesday.

I went East of Denver this weekend, no cell at all for 12 hours and finally about 12 hours into my stay, I start getting emails. They were intermittent, but some were coming in.

I'm curious what other customers are saying about coverage in your area, especially those of you who live outside a major metro area.

anon(473434)

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I live in NW CT and Sprint and TMobile are not the best. There are times where I have service one day, and the next day in the same spot I don't.
In these situations I toggle airplane mode and I'm up and running again. I'm on Wifi 95% of my day so I don't complain to much.

adjuster11

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, I'll try the airplane toggle to see if that turns it "on".

My backup plan is to drive to a T Mobile or Sprint store, ask them how many bar's they are getting then call Fi from the store, saying "what's up", no cell service here, and all the natives are showing 3-4 bars.

It's no sense calling unless I can prove there is a signal where I am standing. I had a long discussion with Fi about where I did/didn't have coverage. I'm carrying a backup Iphone on AT&T, as you can't make or text out there in the woods.

adjuster11

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone Tried these codes to "Force" It to a network?

If so, did it work for you?

Project Fi support may advise users to use dialer codes in specific circumstances. This guide provides some background on what the dialer codes do. We recommend that you only use these codes under support's guidance. However, if you're stuck and need to use these codes, or decide to experiment, please do so at your own risk. A reboot will clear out any codes entered. If you do a repair, you may still need to complete activation after a reboot.

Thanks for being a Project Fi user! You may have heard about these mystical dialer codes. Here they are and here's what they do!

Force Jump to Sprint: *#*#34777#*#*

Force Jump to T-Mobile: *#*#34866#*#*

Force Jump to Next Carrier: *#*#346398#*#*

Turn On Auto Switch: *#*#342886#*#*

Repair Bad Activation: *#*#34963#*#*

Current Network Info: *#*#344636#*#*

Make sure if you don't want to be locked into the carrier you force switched to, you need to use the "Turn On Auto Switch" code afterwards. Auto-switching will resume after a reboot. However, it will start with the last carrier that you were connected to before the reboot.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Ziggy

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So far mine has been great. I came from many other phones (most recent was a Moto X Pure Edition) and to be honest .. My 6P holds a signal better than the others. I am on LTE all the time and get really good speeds. Also VoLTE works without an issue :). I am on T-Mobile.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
An Updated using the dialer codes:

Project Fi Support had me use the force switch codes and auto switch code, those did not seem to work.

THANK YOU FOR sharing these additional codes
Force Jump to Next Carrier: *#*#346398#*#*
Repair Bad Activation: *#*#34963#*#*
Current Network Info: *#*#344636#*#*

So I tried Repair bad connection Code: And then attempted to make an outgoing call, I still got the message " sorry your phone is not yet activated.."

I rebooted and used Current Network Info: code *#*#344636#*#* and it showed it to be back on Sprint ...
As Ziggy Noted: When you reboot the phone (even if Auto Switch: *#*#342886#*#* is active) the service will go to last carrier it was on before the reboot, using Current Network Info: *#*#344636#*#* i can verify my current network ..

so I Force Jump to Next Carrier: *#*#346398#*#* Then Cheked Network info again (*#*#344636#*#*) I see I am on T-mobile
And it allowed me to make out going call/ Text and i receive Call & Text .

So I have narrowed down as expected the issue is with my Fi service over Sprint..

Still a pain..because auto switching re-enables every couple of hours.. so if i run into issues making or receiving calls/ texts i will have to use the dialer codes....

A frustrating Tasking pain.
I will say That what is keeping me on Fi ( atm) is #1 their service.. I can always reach a live person via phone , e-mail or chat. This is amazing in this day and age of outsourcing support services.
I can work with a knowledgeable support rep that keeps me updated and responds to every message or e-mail i send...
Personal responses.. with relevant updates or info on current status..

#2 Reason i am staying with Fi for now... is My data has been great , I have been able to stream Netflix or iHeart radio or what ever streaming service i like while on data with no issues even if i am on Sprint network.. ( calls may not work as these services are tied to carrier) i still get my data, and In a pinch I CAN use Hangouts app to make calls or texts if needed..- ( not a fan of Hangouts as my primary messaging app but it is a good work around...to at least reach my family or hear from my family, and e-mail works too...)

All that said Project Fi support is top notch better than ANY other big name Carrier ... and that alone makes the temporary inconveniences easier to swallow and worth the switch to a supportive Project Fi

I am confident that they will diligently work these issues out..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463