So, you've got a pretty white box...

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
... now what?

Is there a how-to guide (preferably for those of us who might not be that bright) that walks you through setting up the 6P and porting things over?

All the box contains for literature is the Google Play music promotion and a safety booklet telling me not to let the baby teethe on the screen.

IIRC, there was a "First things to do" article for the 6P, but I'm unable to find it.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

--
Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.

ryleyinstl

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you "upgrading" from Apple, MS, BB or an older Android phone? We'll need to know.

What sorts of things do you want copied from the old phone?

Just plug it in and the setup wizard will get you rolling most of the way.

Posted via Nexus 6p

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Just got my 64gb aluminum and restored everything from my current MXPE. Still downloading apps I type this on the mxpe and when its done I'll use my nova backup and that will be that. Of course, my case and screen protector don't arrive until tomorrow so one more day then it'll be my daily driver and see how I like it for 10 or so days and decide if I'll keep that or the mxpe.

Posted via the Android Central App

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Are you "upgrading" from Apple, MS, BB or an older Android phone? We'll need to know.

What sorts of things do you want copied from the old phone?

I'm coming off a Moto X (2013). I know that at some point, I'll have to move the SIM card as an example. Then, I assume, I have to somehow let Verizon know that I've changed my phone.

As far as apps and whatnot, it'd be nice if Google Play knows what I'm using now and let me pick and choose what I wanted to port over like Amazon does by showing what apps are in the cloud for me.

Then I get into things like music and pictures. If I'm honest, this would be a long overdue opportunity to just pull things off the phone's storage and let the new one be cleanish.

--

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
See. Here's an example right out of the chute.

I skipped the SIM card install it asked for at the start and went straight to giving it WIFI access. No worries.

Then it tells me I can port things over if I go to Google Settings and select the option to share with a new device. What do I, as a typical lay user do? I slide down my notification bar and click the person icon and then the little settings wheel.

Seems like the right thing to do, no? So, then I spend 10 minutes in my hazy funk trying to find this thing before finally noticing that they capitalized 'Google Settings' and that perhaps there's a reason for it. And, voila, there's a separate app for it.

So, that done, it's just downloaded 8 apps it seemed to care deeply about and the system update.

So, when it comes back to life, I'll want to continue with app installs, but there are some that I don't really care to move over. Is there any way to cherry pick or should I just let them all go and then remove?

--

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
So, now that it's rebooted, it appears that it's no longer giving the appearance of requiring me to download all of them. I can now cherry pick and I'm a happier man for it.

So... About that SIM card and letting Verizon know...?

--

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So, now that it's rebooted, it appears that it's no longer giving the appearance of requiring me to download all of them. I can now cherry pick and I'm a happier man for it.

It'd be nice to be able to select multiple apps at once though.

--

http://phandroid.com/2015/10/21/nexus-6p-11-first-things/

You can also watch a video on YouTube. There's a few to choose from.

first thing I did was put my SIM card in, the just followed setup wizard.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
See. Here's an example right out of the chute.

I skipped the SIM card install it asked for at the start and went straight to giving it WIFI access. No worries.

Then it tells me I can port things over if I go to Google Settings and select the option to share with a new device. What do I, as a typical lay user do? I slide down my notification bar and click the person icon and then the little settings wheel.

Seems like the right thing to do, no? So, then I spend 10 minutes in my hazy funk trying to find this thing before finally noticing that they capitalized 'Google Settings' and that perhaps there's a reason for it. And, voila, there's a separate app for it.

So, that done, it's just downloaded 8 apps it seemed to care deeply about and the system update.

So, when it comes back to life, I'll want to continue with app installs, but there are some that I don't really care to move over. Is there any way to cherry pick or should I just let them all go and then remove?

--

For apps... when you signed into your Moto X with your Google account there's an option in settings under your Google account to sync App Data, it is usually enabled by default, this syncs what apps you have on your phone to your Google account. When you sign into a different phone with your Google account you'll have the option to download all of your apps since the last sync or you can pick and chose what apps you want.

For pictures you can use Google Photos and sync them to your Google account or just transfer them to a PC.

Also make sure you have all your contacts synced to your Google account and not on the phone storage.

As for the SIM card... I believe the Moto X uses a nano SIM card so on Verizon you can just simply swap the SIM card into the 6P. There's no need to let Verizon know, their system will automatically see that you have a different phone.

You will notice that some of the Verizon services will not work on the 6P because it is not a Verizon phone and it is not recognized by their system, for example Verizon Visual Voice Mail will not work at this time. You can use Google Voice for Visual Voicemail and forward you unanswered call to the Google Voice number for VVM. Here's a thread on it... http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-6p/609654-verizon-visual-voice-mail-nexus-app-not-working.html

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I also came from a Moto X 2013. I'm on Verizon. I got my 6p two weeks ago. I just put the sim from my original Moto X in the 6p and that's it. I don't think you really need to say anything to Verizon. I'm off contract and I have been for 3 years as I have unlimited data.

Posted via Android Central App from a Nexus 6P or the amazing Nexus 10

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of your help so far.

Last question - I hope...

How do I pull over all those WiFi profiles from the old phone?

--

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01