I want to switch from At&t to T-Mobile

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
My question is to those with a 6P, how is your experience and overall reception with T-Mobile on the east coast. Especially without band 12? I wanna switch because T-Mobile has WiFi calling and is more Android phone friendly.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Just switched from AT&T to T-Mobile myself. The 6P suffers in one particular area that I visit frequently, where as my iPhone 6S+ does not. But I don't know if that has anything to do with Band 12. Otherwise, I couldn't be happier with the switch.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So far so good. Do you travel up and down? If it is specific areas / cities I would check out Root Metrics(.com) -- They are a good resource :).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would just get a Tmobile test drive kit. It comes with a 5s which doesn't have band 12 and completely free to test out.

Problem is speeds will vary greatly even within the same building,so actual testing exactly where you need it is the best course of action.

From personal experience tmobile got good speeds upstairs in my house but in some parts downstairs, the signal was too weak to even do a speed test.

http://go.business.t-mobile.com/100...utm_campaign=TMOSMBT6&ibp-adgroup=T6DMTRISOHO

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
But one of the beauties of T-Mobile is wi-fi calling. Just turn your router into a cell tower basically. We get terrible signal in our house - no matter which provider we've used - but the wi-fi calling (and texting) trumps the bad cell signal.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I live in central Jersey and sometimes visit family in Florida and Georgia

I live in Florida and it is mainly good on highways -- And then once you reach somewhere (like Jacksonville / Orlando) you have LTE the whole time. I was in NJ about ... 2 years ago and I had LTE just fine there. 2 years is awhile though but I would assume it is still okay. Georgia may be a hit or miss for sure depending on where your family is.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Especially without band 12?

That is also temporary... T-Mobile qualified it for b12 just recently, so I'm guessing the December update will include it.

Overall, T-Mobile has made huge strides up here in New England. There were a fair number of dead zones out in the middle of nowhere... There was a particularly pesky stretch of highway that went through a wildlife sanctuary where towers were persona non grata. It was dead on all carriers... that was how I realized that T-Mobile finally went live with band 12 as my phone got a notification when I would have normally had the dreaded empty triangle.

Pretty much everywhere I go in my day to day now has LTE, nevermind a basic signal.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree, if T-Mobile is workable then Project FI will be better. In addition to combining both the T-Mobile and Sprint networks Project FI offers decent international rates, data is the same as the US and calls are 20 cents per minute. You need to look at the coverage maps for Sprint and T-Mobile to see if FI will work for you. Both Sprint and T-Mobile are really spotty outside of major metropolitan areas, that's why I'm on Verizon, but you'll have to look at the maps yourself to see if it will work for you.

digitaldroid

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Im also really thinking of giving up AT&T.... living in NYC my data speeds are frustrating at times with AT&T no throttling at all but not impressed with their speeds lately. Tmobile has been looking very good with their deals lately.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Im also really thinking of giving up AT&T.... living in NYC my data speeds are frustrating at times with AT&T no throttling at all but not impressed with their speeds lately. Tmobile has been looking very good with their deals lately.

This is exactly how I feel. Plus the signal in my basement is not very good. At least with T-Mobile I would have WiFi calling to compensate

Posted via the Android Central App

krabby

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I was on AT&T for some 10 years because it and Verizon were my only options due to coverage. I had tried Tmo about 5 years ago but the coverage was fairly well terrible at that time and went back to AT&T. A year ago I had been hearing that the coverage was much better and tried again. This time the coverage was workable, not nearly as good as being on the duopoly but much better than before. As I said workable for me based on the trade-offs of being on either carrier. I will say that Tmo's coverage is getting better, there are now a few places I didn't have coverage before that I do now.

For me the advantages of tmo are... Costs less. I now spend less per month but have much more in my bag of goodies. Which brings me to data, a couple gigs on AT&T versus unlimited on Tmo and for me that unlimited has worked out to be just that, I have never been throttled that I could tell and use about 20 gigs a month. Free roaming overseas, huge for me. I travel a lot and I used to get a sim card in the local area and run that. Now I just turn airplane mode off and the phone works without having to pass out temporary numbers to friends and relatives, get the sim card in the first place, waste money on extra that I wasn't able to use during the trip. Its also nice to be able to make free or low cost calls to overseas from the US which I do enough of to make it a value add. While Tmo says the data overseas will be 2G more often than not I find the phone on 3G which isn't what I want but good enough. No locked bootloaders so at times their phones can be cheaper than the unlocked international versions I had been buying before. Wifi calling will soon be a non issue since everyone will have it on their carrier but it has been something I've used without an available phone signal while away.

The advantages of AT&T for me were coverage. Nothing else.

About Fi, its a good deal if you use less data but can get expensive if you use a lot of data. I need to tether at times and for me it would be much more expensive.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I was on AT&T for some 10 years because it and Verizon were my only options due to coverage. I had tried Tmo about 5 years ago but the coverage was fairly well terrible at that time and went back to AT&T. A year ago I had been hearing that the coverage was much better and tried again. This time the coverage was workable, not nearly as good as being on the duopoly but much better than before. As I said workable for me based on the trade-offs of being on either carrier. I will say that Tmo's coverage is getting better, there are now a few places I didn't have coverage before that I do now.

For me the advantages of tmo are... Costs less. I now spend less per month but have much more in my bag of goodies. Which brings me to data, a couple gigs on AT&T versus unlimited on Tmo and for me that unlimited has worked out to be just that, I have never been throttled that I could tell and use about 20 gigs a month. Free roaming overseas, huge for me. I travel a lot and I used to get a sim card in the local area and run that. Now I just turn airplane mode off and the phone works without having to pass out temporary numbers to friends and relatives, get the sim card in the first place, waste money on extra that I wasn't able to use during the trip. Its also nice to be able to make free or low cost calls to overseas from the US which I do enough of to make it a value add. While Tmo says the data overseas will be 2G more often than not I find the phone on 3G which isn't what I want but good enough. No locked bootloaders so at times their phones can be cheaper than the unlocked international versions I had been buying before. Wifi calling will soon be a non issue since everyone will have it on their carrier but it has been something I've used without an available phone signal while away.

The advantages of AT&T for me were coverage. Nothing else.

About Fi, its a good deal if you use less data but can get expensive if you use a lot of data. I need to tether at times and for me it would be much more expensive.

Thanks for the in depth answer. I think I'll bite the bullet and make the switch. At least give it a try. Thanks for the input

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Fi might be okay if you don't use a lot of data and only need an individual plan. If you have 3 or 4 lines on a family plan T-Mobile has some pretty good family plans with plenty of data to go around for less money per line... Only advantage to Fi over T-Mobile would be switching over to Sprint in some areas....

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"On the east coast" is meaningless when it comes to cellphones. Coverage can vary from village to village. (Sprint covers this town like a blanket - but my daughter's house is one huge dead spot, so yes, Sprint is great for here - unless you know my daughter.)

If you give us a couple of locations you need coverage in, some people who use TMobile in those locations can tell you how their coverage is at those locations. (And the the fact that they have a weak but usable signal in front of the building you work in doesn't mean that you won't have a dead spot in your office.)

krabby

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
When I went into it my plan was to port into Tmo and if it didn't work out go ahead and port over to Straight talk or one of the other similar carriers. For me Tmo worked out, if it hadn't I would haven continued to port until I'd proven AT&T was my best option. It may be yours but you don't have to guess, you have the phone you need to try out the various options and find your groove.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Well I officially made the switch to T-Mobile and I love it. Way faster LTE speeds than what I got on At&t. It's amazing

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01