Things to do to prep your 6P

rmadrid20

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys so I'm impatiently waiting for the Fedex guy to knock on my door and deliver my glorious Nexus 6P, meanwhile I would like to ask you some steps o things I need to do or you did to pimp and customize your phone when you got it or thru the course of your phone's life, feel free to send pics so we all can share the experience. I'm obviously root my phone so you guys know :)
Thanks to all

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear you are in the root camp. I feel the general attitude toward root around here is generally negative so you may not get many responses. I, on the other hand am a chronic flasher. 😈

At the minimum, set yourself up with layers manager and get rid of all the white backgrounds. There are some nice roms around, I am using 'Pure Nexus', quite a lot of features for this early in development. Change the font, then get a copy of adaway for them pesky ads. .
My settings screen as an example:

Screenshot_20151124-100911_zps4mjwzhcx.png

6p 👌

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Install Nova Launcher, If you don't have Nova Launcher Prime I suggest that you spend some of your Google Play credits on it.

I haven't rooted yet, I might in the future. The one really desirable feature that root allows (so I've read) is split screens which I'd really like to have. The downside of rooting is that you lose Android Pay which disables itself on rooted devices for security reasons, however Android pay is a pretty useless feature (I've only used it once at a Panera, swiping a card is faster).

rmadrid20

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Man this fedex guys still no show, lol, nova launcher will be one of the first things I will do, any cool app that you guys now? Any tweak?

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
The phone is pretty damn nice out of the box. You can wireless tether without your carrier getting in the way. And if you don't root you can use Android pay. I won't root unless my phone carrier figures out how to stop the native wireless hotspot

Posted via the Android Central App

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I would also add the app Titanium Backup to one of the first things I did. I think it's the best utility or tool app out there.

Rick

Mickfl

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Nova, Tesla unread, ZEDGE {sounds and screens}, SwiftKey will be a good start!

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Nova, Tesla unread, ZEDGE {sounds and screens}, SwiftKey will be a good start!

Just wondering, on a 6P, what benefit does Nova offer? I used it before when I had a carrier phone, but it basically gave me what I get out of the box with the 6P. What am I missing?

CmbtSwmr7

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering, on a 6P, what benefit does Nova offer? I used it before when I had a carrier phone, but it basically gave me what I get out of the box with the 6P. What am I missing?

Customization.

Stock android and Nova (prime) are night and day. Comes down to how much you want to tweak the settings in Nova and what your presences are. For me, I still use Nova, but love it even more on the 6p because of how fast it runs on top of stock android.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok so if i root i will loose Android pay? Not good
Yes, from what I hear root disables Android pay. It messes with the secure element that Android pay uses to communicate with touch terminals. I rooted my old M8 and after I did I was never able to use Android pay successfully with it, even after factory resorting and removing root. I don't know if it would be permanent on the 6p but I personally don't feel rooting this phone is worth that risk. But that's just me.

krabby

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Yep, you can add the cards if you switch root off in SU but you wont actually be able to complete a transaction at a terminal whether its switched off or not. Course a lot of people like me don't like using the phone to pay. I don't find it any more convenient than simply swiping my card and in some ways its less convenient since phones have become more bulky than wallets nowadays making them the less attractive option to carry into a store for me.

IMO if you have done it and like it you already have an answer about where you stand on it. If you haven't give it a go and you'll know whether it is an option you'd be willing to forgo root over. For me there isn't even a question since I don't like using the phone but if I did like it I still woudn't give up root for it. Simply doing nothing more than removing ads would be enough for me to keep root. To say nothing of the fact that I like to go to 4 nav buttons and all kinds of other things that all require root. Android pay would have to bring me a cold beer after work and then pop a supermodel out of my phone to give me a back rub before I'd consider it a viable alternative to swiping my card and having the benefits of root.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep, you can add the cards if you switch root off in SU but you wont actually be able to complete a transaction at a terminal whether its switched off or not. Course a lot of people like me don't like using the phone to pay. I don't find it any more convenient than simply swiping my card and in some ways its less convenient since phones have become more bulky than wallets nowadays making them the less attractive option to carry into a store for me.

IMO if you have done it and like it you already have an answer about where you stand on it. If you haven't give it a go and you'll know whether it is an option you'd be willing to forgo root over. For me there isn't even a question since I don't like using the phone but if I did like it I still woudn't give up root for it. Simply doing nothing more than removing ads would be enough for me to keep root. To say nothing of the fact that I like to go to 4 nav buttons and all kinds of other things that all require root. Android pay would have to bring me a cold beer after work and then pop a supermodel out of my phone to give me a back rub before I'd consider it a viable alternative to swiping my card and having the benefits of root.

I actually took a long hard thought before I rooted. I DO in fact like paying with my phone. Even if its just to use the fingerprint sensor to unlock and pay straight away, gets my geek blood flowing.

HOWEVER, there were a few functionality aspects I wanted that were only accessible through rooting, so I eventually went that route, and even though it was kinda a tough decision, I'm not looking back.