Do you charge your phone while sleeping? Is it bad?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I charge it to 100% then unplug before going nighty night. I'll top it off in the morning if I leave home (I usually telecommute).

anon(8662820)

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
It varies. Sometimes I charge it before bed and then leave it next to my bed, other times I just charge it over night.

Posted via the Android Central App

madcrabs

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Usually, especially with older phones, I would just plug in before sleep and let it charge overnight.

This phone charges so fast I have been afraid to leave it plugged in for so long. The other day I forgot to plug it in and it only lost 1% battery in 8 hours so I'm toying with the idea of just giving it a quick charge in the mornings.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I've heard it's bad to leave a phone to trickle-charge - so I usually charge it up before I go to bed, unplug and then top it up in the morning or during the day. The rapid charging on this phone makes it so practical

CmbtSwmr7

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've heard it's bad to leave a phone to trickle-charge - so I usually charge it up before I go to bed, unplug and then top it up in the morning or during the day. The rapid charging on this phone makes it so practical

That's based on old, really old tech. In fact, more advanced trickle chargers are actually more beneficial for the battery's life then letting it sit.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I typically keep my phone in the 20-80% range. If the battery is less than 50% when I go to bed, I leave it plugged in to charge over night. If it's over 50%, I'll plug it in the morning. It's not scientific, but that's what I do.

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
For the past couple nights, I have been topping it off before unplugging it at night. I'm wondering if there's a problem because in the morning, it is showing aroung 90% (approx. 9 hours later). Others seem to be losing only a couple percentage points. Am I forgetting to turn something off? Emails and Facebook are my only notifications (with no audible notifications), but of course overnight there are very few.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
My 2 cents: Don't worry about your charging habits. The smartphone age is approaching its first decade and battery manufacturers have prepared for anything in that regard.

The key, in my honest opinion, is that the N6P doesn't overheat much. Overheating processors are terrible for batteries.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My 2 cents: Don't worry about your charging habits. The smartphone age is approaching its first decade and battery manufacturers have prepared for anything in that regard.

The key, in my honest opinion, is that the N6P doesn't overheat much. Overheating processors are terrible for batteries.

Def! This phone never overheats. The only time it even got slightly warm was when it was setting up for the first time, and downloading all the apps I have. Other than that this thing runs smooth, and cooler than even the nexus 6.

digitaldroid

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
dont worry about charging or overheating, I charge my phone overnight and during the day at work, like i have done all my previous phones and never any problems

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
For the past couple nights, I have been topping it off before unplugging it at night. I'm wondering if there's a problem because in the morning, it is showing aroung 90% (approx. 9 hours later). Others seem to be losing only a couple percentage points. Am I forgetting to turn something off? Emails and Facebook are my only notifications (with no audible notifications), but of course overnight there are very few.

FB is a notorious battery drainer and I refuse to install that app on my phones ( just use their website on Chrome to occasionally check in, I don't need real time FB notifications so badly that I'm willing to sacrifice any performance just for an app). But your drain could be a hundred different things so I don';t know what to tell you except start experimenting. I usually only lose about 2% overnight. I would probably start researching lists all of the most well known battery hogs and see if you have any from those lists. Off the top of my head, Location services always on, Weather services and/or widgets, apps like facebook are a few.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Depends. This thing charges so fast that if I plug it in when I lay down then either watch an episode of a show or even use it for a little bit before going to sleep it usually gets close to 99%. If its that's close I'll just leave it off then top it off on the ride to work and be good. Yesterday I took it off the charger and didn't need another charge again until right before bed with 4hrs SoT and about an hour or 2 streaming videos at home and podcasts on the ride to and from work

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

My guess is Facebook that drains your battery overnight, though there may be another. The issue with Facebook is, even though no notifications are coming in at night, Facebook is still frequently checking, so it is constantly "waking" your phone.

mattsican

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
My guess is Facebook that drains your battery overnight, though there may be another. The issue with Facebook is, even though no notifications are coming in at night, Facebook is still frequently checking, so it is constantly "waking" your phone.

I've left my phone off the charger a few times and when I get up I'm down maybe 1 or 2 percent even with FB installed

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
What if you only worry about this sometimes? Like Tuesday nights? Wednesday is the pivotal day of my work week. So I tend to worry about things on Tuesday nights.

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I usually charge before going to bed as by the morning the 6P will still be at 98-99%. I have charged overnight maybe 10x and no negative effects from what I have seen.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I always charge overnight. Never seen any adverse battery effects and let's be honest...I'm not keeping a phone more than a year anyway :p