What have you replaced Messenger with for SMS/MMS on the Nexus 6P?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using Messenger but am considering replacing it. What do you use? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Hangouts... It's kinda nice having Google messages and text messages in the same app. Although I haven't used many other messaging apps to say how Hangouts compares.

The only other one I've used is handcent but they ruined that app with the adds that come in like messages. I will not ever use that app on principal, even if they get rid of that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use messenger on other phones so it being default here works for me. I just keep on using it :).

anon(8662820)

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Coming from Samsung Galaxy Note II, When I put Cyanogenmod on that phone I started to use Hangouts for SMS and Google Hangouts and found I really enjoyed it. When I flashed the stockrom back on, I used Samsungs stock SMS client and realized I didn't really like it so I went back to Hangouts and haven't looked back ever since.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Textra. Clean interface. I like being able to have a reminder notification if I miss the first one.

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I am also a Textra user. Initially switched back on my Note 4 when the stock Messaging app went orange (my eyes!!!!) and have enjoyed the clean interface, color customization, and notification flexibility.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Hangouts. Although, I also have a Google Voice number; so, it just makes sense to use Hangouts.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I have been on Android since the days of the Samsung Epic, Moto droid, & my go to text/IM app has been Handcent now known as Next sms. Its awesome in the way you can customize notification icon & sound for each contact as well as customize the the text bubble for each contact and backgrounds..

That being said i have been using the google messenger since i got my Nexus 6P and i am really liking the clean simple interface,

I am not a fan of Hangouts but do like the Google stand alone Messenger.

I barely use Handcent anymore..

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Material Messaging, customizable and very responsive with updates.

Major changes in the last few weeks where I almost left the app due to some bugs I was having, but all fixed now.

Posted via the Android Central App

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Vzw messenger + is the best. Works over WiFi, so when I'm at the gym where there is no signal I'm still getting and sending texts!

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Textra as well. One of the first apps I download on my phones. I've used it for quite a few years now and its never been slow, they always add new useful features and update the app according to new design languages with Android. Its clean and got just enough options for your hearts content.

Posted via the Android Central App

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Google messenger for SMS and MMS and hangouts for IM.

Posted via Android Central App from a Nexus 6P or the amazing Nexus 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs