Asks for PIN After Fingerprint

tmotley3

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm also having major issues with being required to enter my password. I specifically chose the setting to NOT ask for my password at startup, but it nonetheless happens every time I start up my phone. A bunch of people have said that it will always ask for a PIN or password at startup, but if that's true, why is there even an option to disable that requirement?

More importantly, I'm prompted for a password randomly and *much* more often than every 48 hours. Does it just seem random, or is there some logic behind this? I haven't been able to identify any pattern. This can actually be dangerous because it happens when I'm driving, and entering a password while driving is both dangerous and illegal.

Most importantly, often after I've been on hold for long periods of time (with Microsoft, for example), there will be a short beep, at which point my call is dropped and I have to enter a password to unlock my phone. These don't appear to be randomly dropped calls, except insofar as the requirement for a password is random. I.e., the call drops at the same time that my phone locks and/or becomes unlockable via my fingerprint. I can't imagine that the phone is supposed to lock in the middle of a call, and it would make even less sense if locking necessarily resulted in a dropped call. It would be bearable if the locking didn't end my call and/or require a password, but both are happening.

Project Fi tells me they haven't heard of any of these issues, but at least with respect to the random PIN/password requirement, I'm clearly not alone. I'd really appreciate it if someone had some insight on these issues and some suggestions for fixing them.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nobody is reading question. He says "After the first five minutes after a reboot, my fingerprint unlocks y phone just fine. After that, my phone prompts for a PIN after unlock." I sometimes have the same problem except it is much more random. Maybe every 50 times or so, it asks me for my PIN. I assumed it might be some random security check or something like that, but I don't know for sure.

This is exactly my experience as well. Sometimes when I unlock with my finger print, it will ask for my pattern as well. It seems random, maybe 1% or 2% of the time. It does not happen in my trusted places or when kept unlocked by trusted devices.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I get prompted for a PIN once out of every 200 unlock attempts. I definitely notice it but it was nothing to ever make me come in here and ask it due to how incredibly infrequent it is.

Nexus6P

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
After the first five minutes after a reboot, my fingerprint unlocks y phone just fine. After that, my phone prompts for a PIN after unlock. What are the possible causes and solution to this problem?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, not sure if you found the problem but I was having same problem and I found that every time I locked the phone with screen lock it would then ask me for pin after fingerprint
Then I started locking phone from the power switch phone would unlock by finger print every time.
If the screen went off by itself once the 30 sec has gone or whatever time you be set again if would work just by fingerprint
Hope it helps

jd340

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I too having this problem. I was using a lock screen widget (from the Google Play Store) to lock my phone (trying to save the power button). It was this method of locking the phone that is the problem. If I just lock it with the power button no problem, fingerprint unlock would unlock phone every time, hence I have deleted the widget and gone back to locking my phone with the power button.

trash5099

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm this, as well: when using the 'Screen Off' app from my homescreen to lock the phone, MM 6.0.1 will require my actual password (a pattern) after the fingerprint swipe. If I simply use the power button to lock the phone, then I'm allowed access with just the fingerprint.

I've tried this 50 times each way during the past 40 minutes and all tests came out the same: using the app lock causes MM to request the main password after the fingerprint has been accepted, but using the power button does not.

This appears to be the issue, regardless of whatever non-power button method is used to lock the phone.

Hope this helps others.

Last edited:

chrisyuhc

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
I can confirm this, as well: when using the 'Screen Off' app from my homescreen to lock the phone, MM 6.0.1 will require my actual password (a pattern) after the fingerprint swipe. If I simply use the power button to lock the phone, then I'm allowed access with just the fingerprint.

I've tried this 50 times each way during the past 40 minutes and all tests came out the same: using the app lock causes MM to request the main password after the fingerprint has been accepted, but using the power button does not.

This appears to be the issue, regardless of whatever non-power button method is used to lock the phone.

Hope this helps others.
Same experience here. My Xperia X Performance oringinal Home Launcher offers tap-to-sleep function, when I use it to lock screen, I can use only fingerprint to unlock it. However, if I use the tap-to-sleep on Nova Launcher, I can't just unlock it with fingerprints, the device would ask for password/pattern/etc.

So I guess Google did something to prevent you to unlock a third party lock by fingerprint.

Droid-O-Matic

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
There are several issues with the 6.0 "upgrade" related to the fingerprint lock.

My phone asks me for a pin EVERY TIME i try and activate the fingerprint lock.

It makes sense to have a backup password, ...but to have to enter it every time I want to turn on my fingerprint lock is ridiculous.

Seriously, ...I would hope this is a bug because I keep wondering what ***** failed to consider that using a password to activate the fingerprint lock EVERY TIME unnecessarily compromises security by forcing a person to enter a pin.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
One in a while for no reason my phone's wants the PIN even though my fingerprint is fine. This is after many unlocks after a reboot, been happening with M and N. Can't figure out why.

Christiaan Jansen

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm sitting with the same problem now, can't find a solution anywhere.

My phone just started doing it today, every single time I unlock it! It's a tad frustrating...

pampamorama

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: PIN after Fingerprint Unlock

Driving me insane. Every other screenlock requires a PIN. I have had fingerprint security for months. I have turned off auto updates, am darned tired of my phone changing over night. When prompted for a PIN, the message reads that the PIN is required because of a security policy. when accessing settings in an attempt to reset the fingerprint default and timeout features, i am able to access only the Confirm PIN screen and am taken to "enter your pin instead of using fingerprint recognition."

pampamorama

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: PIN after Fingerprint Unlock

Lock Screen and Security
- Fingerprints
-no fingerprint option, takes me to "Enter your PIN instead of using fingerprint recognition."
-

striker262

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the same trouble. As mentioned previously it was indeed due to my launcher having a double tap to lock feature. I turned that off and the finger print works flawlessly without asking for my pin any longer.

Bala RJ

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
After the first five minutes after a reboot, my fingerprint unlocks y phone just fine. After that, my phone prompts for a PIN after unlock. What are the possible causes and solution to this problem?

Hello bro.. I have a solution for that , this problem is surely caused by using third party phone lock apps like Screen lock , Lock screen etc., If you lock your mobile using that screen lock and similar apps , then it will ask for pin or pattern after fingerprint. Just try locking your mobile phone using power button or just leave mobile to lock automatically. And then now use fingerprint sensor to unlock mobile , now it won't ask for pin or pattern, it directly goes in where left and then try locking mobile using 3rd party apps and check unlocking , at that time you will face that problem.

But avoid using phone power button often as it may lead to damage of button...

Thank you

Sachit Malhan

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely correct finding. Solved my problem. Thanks.

I think I know what's happening. It was happening to me. I was using the trick with nova launcher and another app to be able to lock my screen by double tapping it. After I did away with it the behavior stopped. I've gone an entire week without rebooting my phone and in that time not once was I asked for pin. Now pin is only required after reboot, as it should be.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think Nova uses a function that locks the screen securely, so it must be triggering the pin/pattern secondary unlock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007