Nexus 6P constantly awake with screen off, non-rooted. What can I do?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
So I did uninstall gsam and my awake times are a lot better now. Would have never thought that. Thank you!

Posted via the Android Central App

You are welcome. I have to admit that GSAM causing the phone to stay awake surprised me, too. I'm rather disappointed that there has been no update to GSAM since Marshmallow was released.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
You are welcome. I have to admit that GSAM causing the phone to stay awake surprised me, too. I'm rather disappointed that there has been no update to GSAM since Marshmallow was released.

Yeah it probably just isn't optimized for MM yet.

My awake times are much better now, but there still some strange things I see with battery. Like sometimes I'll look at my phone for a minute and notice its at 86%, put it down for a few minutes and it'll drop a couple percent just like that. Really weird.

Oh well.

jsushi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone, so i went through the apps one by one and good news, there is actually no culprit. I guess the awake bar just needed some time to properly update. It's looking more normal now. I will post a screenshot after today's full day of use.

Essentially right now it looks like the awake bar corresponds with screen on (unless I'm charging or I'm downloading an app in the background). Will update in 12 hours. Thanks for all the input!!!!

jsushi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE: This is my use from 8am this morning to 4pm so far. I would say I've been using it fairly normal today leaning towards conservative since I wanted to see if the phone would go to sleep if I left it for a bit. Towards the afternoon you can see that it's awake but the screen isn't on still...thoughts??

Screenshot_20151204-155041.jpg

fleeper

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issue; what should it look like on the battery screen if doze has kicked in? It is 8:22 am and my phone is already at 72%. It has dropped more today than normal.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: This is my use from 8am this morning to 4pm so far. I would say I've been using it fairly normal today leaning towards conservative since I wanted to see if the phone would go to sleep if I left it for a bit. Towards the afternoon you can see that it's awake but the screen isn't on still...thoughts??

View attachment 208386

You more than likely still have an app that isn't allowing it to sleep. Have you ever installed better battery stats? If not, it may help a little more with your diagnostics. I'm not sure how useful it is without root, since I've only used it when my phones were rooted, but maybe give that a shot.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue; what should it look like on the battery screen if doze has kicked in? It is 8:22 am and my phone is already at 72%. It has dropped more today than normal.

If doze is working, the graph should be fairly flat for the time it was asleep. You want to see the awake time and screen on time around the same amount. If you are not and your battery is draining a lot without using it, start with what was said earlier in the thread and go from there. Or post some screenshots of your app usage and times of the battery stats.

jsushi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
So here's a potentially really stupid question:

Can media files cause the phone to stay awake?

Let me explain: So RIGHT after I sent some media files from my old HTC to my new Nexus 6P, the phone started staying awake again. I know it sounds stupid but could that be possible?? The files all work so none of them are "corrupted" but is it possible there's a bug in the transfer...?

Thanks!

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
While the lines aren't flat, because it is showing about a day of use and the bottom of the graph goes out about a week, this might give you an idea. I took this screen shot on a weekend with very light use:

Screenshot_20151108-132740.png

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
So here's a potentially really stupid question:

Can media files cause the phone to stay awake?

Let me explain: So RIGHT after I sent some media files from my old HTC to my new Nexus 6P, the phone started staying awake again. I know it sounds stupid but could that be possible?? The files all work so none of them are "corrupted" but is it possible there's a bug in the transfer...?

Thanks!

Media files definitely can keep a device awake. Usually it is because one or more is corrupted. What did you use to transfer them?

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Somewhere around 24 hours, with about 15 or so minutes of screen on time.

Hmm it doesn't seem terrible to be honest with you. There's also things like cell/wifi radio signal and strength that I don't know about that may affect the battery drain too.

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 208386

I see your wifi is on when your device is awake. Perhaps change the WiFi setting to "Keep wifi on during sleep" from always to only when plugged in.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hmm it doesn't seem terrible to be honest with you. There's also things like cell/wifi radio signal and strength that I don't know about that may affect the battery drain too.

No, I posted it to show what Doze could do. Based on what was estimated, I was looking at 8 days (though with very low usage) before having to recharge the battery.

jsushi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Lol so it was the media files....I used ES File transfer from my Chinese One plus. I deleted all the files and voila it's fine now

THIS IS SUCH A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Lol so it was the media files....I used ES File transfer from my Chinese One plus. I deleted all the files and voila it's fine now

THIS IS SUCH A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE

I use es file transfer as well and thankfully haven't run into any issues with that! And if you have a lot of files, it can take some time to pick out the bad one!

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I use es file transfer as well and thankfully haven't run into any issues with that! And if you have a lot of files, it can take some time to pick out the bad one!

I've heard a different issue with ES File transfer; largely the spam and there are increasing concerns that the newer versions of the app are spying on you. It doesn't help that it is a Chinese app and is starting to add other features, some like the automatic "temp" file remover that are unwanted. It seems that many of the power users are switching over to other apps, Cabinet is frequently mentioned (simple, like ES used to be and uses the material design language).

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've heard a different issue with ES File transfer; largely the spam and there are increasing concerns that the newer versions of the app are spying on you. It doesn't help that it is a Chinese app and is starting to add other features, some like the automatic "temp" file remover that are unwanted. It seems that many of the power users are switching over to other apps, Cabinet is frequently mentioned (simple, like ES used to be and uses the material design language).

Yep!

I uninstalled ES after this started http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...85-201-34-mb-junks-found-recommend-clean.html

Currently using FX https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ore/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx&token=876fHt73

jsushi

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Wow ES messed UP lol. Using solid file manager right now. WOuldn't mind paying a few bucks for something that I will use a lot.

Anyone know a good guide to using file explorers??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol