iPhone 6s Plus or Nexus 6p?

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
iPhone 6s Plus or Nexus 6p? A long time iOS user's dilemma.

So, I have gone back and forth all Fall with a couple of Android devices and back to the iPhone and stuck with a Nexus 6p for nearly a month before giving up and buying an iPhone 6s Plus. The main reasons I switched back were: 1) inability to see group texts and texts from iPhone users, 2) the maddening look of the gmail and other mail accounts in Android 3) lack of OIS on the camera of the 6p and 4) terrible battery life of the Samsung and LG phones. However, I am bored with iOS, I am still within the return window for the iPhone and another Nexus is cheaper. I'd like to be a convert, but this back and forth is a lot and I may just wait until next Fall's Nexus phone. Any thoughts?

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6s Plus or Nexus 6p? A long time iOS user's dilemma.

Hello! Why not grab a Nexus 9 tablet? It is a great device that is still a nexus. That way you can mess around with stock android all you want and still have the user experience you need from your phone. Also, the nexus 9 tablet is very reasonably priced!

quorky

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

Just more customization on Android. Obviously I vote 6p for ya

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

1) inability to see group texts and texts from iPhone users

Not sure what your exact issue with group texts and texts is but my father uses iOS and I get and reply to his group texts. They aren't as well integrated into Android but it does work. Obviously, iOS has its own messaging platform so things are going to work better iOS to iOS. Google has Hangouts. As for regular texts, they don't work for you?

2) the maddening look of the gmail and other mail accounts in Android

The big plus to Android is that you can use any of a handful of good email clients. Doesn't Gmail look the same on iOS? In any case, there are alternatives to the Gmail app.

3) lack of OIS on the camera of the 6p

Can't argue that one. I too wonder why Google left OIS out of the phones. I know they say the bigger sensor means you don't need it but I'm skeptical. Maybe someone else can expand on that.

4) terrible battery life of the Samsung and LG phones.

Battery life is vastly improved on these new Nexus phones with Marshmallow's doze feature. Personally, I didn't have a big issue with my LG G3 battery performance but I am blown away by how long my 6P lasts because when I'm not using it and I leave it on a table it goes into this doze mode.

My household has an iPhone user and an Android user. We each prefer one over the other. I think your comment that iOS is boring is spot on.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks you all. I ordered a 6p and should get it today. I think I have the text issue worked out. Have to deregister my number with Apple. I returned that 6s plus last night and it felt good to be rid of it. Looking forward to staying with Android.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

I have not had any blurry photos yet with the 6p. This thing takes amazing pictures. I usually am shaky when it comes to taking photos, but they were right, it doesn't need it. As far as messaging goes, that is all on Apples end, they make it very hard for people to leave. iMessage is horrible about that. Good luck with the 6p.

Posted via the Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You will like the 6P. I have both an enjoy the iPhone 6S+ more than any iPhone I have owned but still consider myself an android user first. I swap back and forth and just turn iMessage off and only use texts so I do not have issues with group text or MMS.

I keep waiting on android developers to start using the google imprint API to utilize the fingerprint sensor but nothing yet. iPhone had about 15 apps I use that have it and now many 3rd party apps are rolling out features to utilize the 3D touch, which I really like.

Gotta keep my android fix though cause iOS does lack the ability to customize and gets boring so I swap back and forth.

quorky

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

On multiple threads with iOS / android people and the texts / mms seems to work just fine....

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

Ya I have the 6s (not the plus) and deregistering your number from Apple imessage is a must, especially if you switch back and forth like I do. The Nexus 6P is a great phone, I'm sure you'll enjoy it quite a bit, I moved on to a V10 so if the 6P doesn't do it for you then I strongly recommend the V10 and this coming from an IOS and stock Android Nexus fan

Posted via the Android Central App