Nexus OS support, how many years?

john.robles

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys I'm new to Nexus, I switched from iphone 6 plus. I just want to know if how msny years will google support the Nexus 6p for the OS? The IPhone 4s is still supported with the latest ape software. Does google do the same thing?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys I'm new to Nexus, I switched from iphone 6 plus. I just want to know if how msny years will google support the Nexus 6p for the OS? The IPhone 4s is still supported with the latest ape software. Does google do the same thing?

I think it's still officially 18 months but that seems like a minimum because the Galaxy Nexus used a processor from TI, who exited the consumer mobile SoC business.

john.robles

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
I think it's still officially 18 months but that seems like a minimum because the Galaxy Nexus used a processor from TI, who exited the consumer mobile SoC business.
As I searched the web nexus 4 is still supported. This device is announced 2012. So are we looking for 3 years?

Nexus users- what are your experiences with the OS supports when you guys still have the olders nexus phones

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 10 just turned over three years old and its not going to get marshmallow. So I'm guessing about two years or so is the support window?

Posted via Android Central App from a Nexus 6P or the amazing Nexus 10

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

wrong. it has been changed to 3 years. major update for 2 years and minor/security update for 1 year.

I bought nexus 4 as soon as its released and I have been on the latest OS for 3 years. Then i got the nexus 6p.

you can get similar support for nexus 6p. support for 3 years

Nexus 4 got 5.1 and 5.1.1 when it was about 2 and half year old.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't know of any official set policy beyond 18 months including OS updates. Google has committed to that.

BUT...they have been supporting most Nexus devices quite a bit longer. The Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 are about 2 1/2 years old and got Marshmallow 6.0 which pretty much assured updates to 6.0 will apply for another year, making about 3 1/2 years of support. The Nexus 6 will likely get similar support. That's good support. I'm happy with it!

Now, if you don't own Nexus devices and support time is short, take it up with the manufacturer, not Google.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
wrong. it has been changed to 3 years. major update for 2 years and minor/security update for 1 year.

I bought nexus 4 as soon as its released and I have been on the latest OS for 3 years. Then i got the nexus 6p.

you can get similar support for nexus 6p. support for 3 years

Nexus 4 got 5.1 and 5.1.1 when it was about 2 and half year old.

Nowhere did I say updates stopped at 18 months.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know of any official set policy beyond 18 months including OS updates. Google has committed to that.

BUT...they have been supporting most Nexus devices quite a bit longer. The Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 are about 2 1/2 years old and got Marshmallow 6.0 which pretty much assured updates to 6.0 will apply for another year, making about 3 1/2 years of support. The Nexus 6 will likely get similar support. That's good support. I'm happy with it!

Now, if you don't own Nexus devices and support time is short, take it up with the manufacturer, not Google.

Looks like we have official word.

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/08/an-update-to-nexus-devices.html?m=1

Nexus devices will continue to receive major updates for at least two years and security patches for the longer of three years from initial availability or 18 months from last sale of the device via the Google Store.*

..even though the Galaxy Nexus may be the exception.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
At least two years. The 2013 devices (Nexus 5, Nexus 7 tablet) both got Marshmallow. I wouldn't be surprised if those devices were to get Nougat and Oreo. The 5X is practically the same specs as the 5 so there shouldn't be any problem supporting the 5 as long as they support the 5X. The 6P has a 64 bit processor and 3G of RAM so I would expect it to be supported for a good long time.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
At least two years. The 2013 devices (Nexus 5, Nexus 7 tablet) both got Marshmallow. I wouldn't be surprised if those devices were to get Nougat and Oreo. The 5X is practically the same specs as the 5 so there shouldn't be any problem supporting the 5 as long as they support the 5X. The 6P has a 64 bit processor and 3G of RAM so I would expect it to be supported for a good long time.
Don't get too carried away with this line of thinking. Just because a device is perfectly capable of running newer versions doesn't mean it will get them.

Example: I have a Nexus 4 running Marshmallow 6.0. It's perfectly capable of it and runs 6.0 fast and smooth, almost as well as my Nexus 6. Makes a fine daily driver. No, no overclocked kernels or tricks, just straight-up 6.0. But it did not get 6.0 from Google. The Nexus 4 is officially done at 5.1.1 and is only getting security updates for another year.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
..even though the Galaxy Nexus may be the exception.

The release does say at *least* two years for major updates... they don't say *only* two years for major updates. I'd guess as long as the hardware can really support things without issues, they'll just continue to update the devices they can.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The release does say at *least* two years for major updates... they don't say *only* two years for major updates. I'd guess as long as the hardware can really support things without issues, they'll just continue to update the devices they can.

I wouldn't bet on anything beyond two years. Nexus 4 is perfectly capable but that's officially done for major OS updates.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't bet on anything beyond two years. Nexus 4 is perfectly capable but that's officially done for major OS updates.

One thing to keep in mind with these Nexus devices entering EoL on major updates, it won't stop the ROM developers from utilizing AOSP and building new android versions for old nexus devices. Outside of the binaries they may need for the radios and so forth, the core operating system can be compiled by ROM devs when released to AOSP.

AOSP ROM for Galaxy Nexus brings Android 6.0 Marshmallow update

Official support is one thing, but with Nexus devices, you'll get ROM Dev support like no other.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind with these Nexus devices entering EoL on major updates, it won't stop the ROM developers from utilizing AOSP and building new android versions for old nexus devices. Outside of the binaries they may need for the radios and so forth, the core operating system can be compiled by ROM devs when released to AOSP.

AOSP ROM for Galaxy Nexus brings Android 6.0 Marshmallow update

Official support is one thing, but with Nexus devices, you'll get ROM Dev support like no other.

For most, ROM developers are irrelevant.