6p or S7

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Why aren't you happy with your S7 Edge?

Mine in particular has touchscreen issues and I don't think I notice a real performance difference in day to day usage (Between Nexus, Note 5, and S7).

I know app support will come in time but the fingerprint sensor doesn't work with a lot of my apps like Dashlane for example.

It's a good phone don't get me wrong and if you liked the S6 you'll love the S7.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S7 today, 6 month down the line you will wish you had the 6p

Posted via the Android Central App

That's kind of my thoughts right now, too. I love the look of the S7 edge and the camera. I also really like the idea of the water resistance and the wireless charging. But I always worry down the road with performance and never getting updates.

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S7 today, 6 month down the line you will wish you had the 6p

Since the Nexus 5, that's always been the case. Novelty wears off once get sick of touch wiz and the lack of updates.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I have bought every Galaxy device since the Galaxy S1 and it's always the same story it's amazing when you buy it and mid way through the year you fall behind on updates and the phone starts to slow down.

I had the Nexus 5 passed on to a family member and it's still running like butter. As long as I use Android I believe Nexus or Motorola are the ways to go.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Since the Nexus 5, that's always been the case. Novelty wears off once get sick of touch wiz and the lack of updates.

100% agree and for some weird reason a Nexus device is the only Android device that does not give me the new device itch.

I really believe it's because of regular software updates

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
About camera quality.... it's all the user. I did a ton of testing over the weekend with my 6P and my wife's S7... a bunch of different scenrios, light, dark, in the middle, scenes with a LOT of dynamic lighting (like dark room with bright window). There are onle two areas where the S7 has an advantage; a) the camera app is really nice and b) it focuses instantly.

But the results? Most of the time I got a picture that was more of less exactly the same... I stood there and took a bunch of the same scene with both phones, exposing on the window, HDR on/off, focus points... As a whole, both cameras performed nearly identical. The quality of the photos were pretty close and if the picture got screwed up, it was MY doing, not the phone's. But I did notice a few things about the S7. Samsung gets really heavy handed on the processing, blowing pixel-level details to bits sometimes. The 6P leaves in a little bit of noise, but that's fine... especially when the details remain as well. Here are two crops showing what I mean... These are standard 100% crops, no post-processing. Both phones were on HDR Auto and I think both took them in their respective HDR modes.

6P:
6P Den 1 CROP 1.jpg
S7:
S7 Den 1 CROP 1.jpg

Now, the difference in processing here is pretty obvious. In an effort to reduce noise, Samsung did a number on the fine details here. Lots of digital smudging and mushing... and in some cases, completely washing out the colors (look at the skin tones on the left frame). The leaves in the basket, the Travelocity Gnome, the curve of the vase, etc, the pic of my son holding the flag.

So the devil is in those details.

So I came to a pretty simple conclusion after all this. It might be easier to take the best possible picture on the S7, but the best possible picture you'll take is if you use the 6P.

capncoad

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
About camera quality.... it's all the user. I did a ton of testing over the weekend with my 6P and my wife's S7... a bunch of different scenrios, light, dark, in the middle, scenes with a LOT of dynamic lighting (like dark room with bright window). There are onle two areas where the S7 has an advantage; a) the camera app is really nice and b) it focuses instantly.

But the results? Most of the time I got a picture that was more of less exactly the same... I stood there and took a bunch of the same scene with both phones, exposing on the window, HDR on/off, focus points... As a whole, both cameras performed nearly identical. The quality of the photos were pretty close and if the picture got screwed up, it was MY doing, not the phone's. But I did notice a few things about the S7. Samsung gets really heavy handed on the processing, blowing pixel-level details to bits sometimes. The 6P leaves in a little bit of noise, but that's fine... especially when the details remain as well. Here are two crops showing what I mean... These are standard 100% crops, no post-processing. Both phones were on HDR Auto and I think both took them in their respective HDR modes.

6P:
View attachment 220238
S7:
View attachment 220239

Now, the difference in processing here is pretty obvious. In an effort to reduce noise, Samsung did a number on the fine details here. Lots of digital smudging and mushing... and in some cases, completely washing out the colors (look at the skin tones on the left frame). The leaves in the basket, the Travelocity Gnome, the curve of the vase, etc, the pic of my son holding the flag.

So the devil is in those details.

So I came to a pretty simple conclusion after all this. It might be easier to take the best possible picture on the S7, but the best possible picture you'll take is if you use the 6P.

Alright glad I wasn't crazy. I had the S7 Edge for a week and while I took pictures really really quickly, they came out smudgy compared to the Nexus 6P. I was pretty unimpressed.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Alright glad I wasn't crazy. I had the S7 Edge for a week and while I took pictures really really quickly, they came out smudgy compared to the Nexus 6P. I was pretty unimpressed.

Don't get me wrong.... the S7 has an excellent camera. And for a lot of uses, they'll lead to great results. But between me and my wife, we take a ton of photos, and she ends up using them in albums that she makes on sites like Shutterfly... so she does a lot of post-work on them, cropping and zooming in a smidge to frame what she wants. So the better finely detailed a shot, the better it'll look when it's printed on a page.

Now, the S7 will work very well in that fashion... These are 100% crops, and she's not about to print posters from these pictures. But I obsess over the technical details.... to a fault sometimes. So I NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS! But for all intents and purposes, both the S7 and 6P are going to end up with great pictures, no matter what conditions we find ourselves in.

Well, there's one thing.. focus. My god in heaven does that S7 focus like nothing I've seen. It focuses instantly... no, not "really fast I'll just exaggerate" instant... pick up the phone and by the time YOUR eyes focus on the screen, it's already locked in. In fact, if you move it back and forth between something close and far, you really can't see a difference. My wife is a point-n-shoot kind of gal and cares little about taking a couple of extra seconds to 'set up the shot' by checking exposure or focus points, she just wants the flippin' pic. And right now, there's no better phone in that regard than the S7.

But..... Unlike when I had my Nexus 6 and was a bit jealous of her G4 when it came time to play Ansel Adams... I'll have no such envy because I know that my 6P is going to get something that give nothing up to the Sammy... well, I might play with it a bit because the focusing is cool. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1