I am torn between the LG V10 and Nexus 6P. Which one should I buy?

VermaEklavya

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I am looking to purchase a new phone these holidays. Here in NZ, I am able to buy a 64GB LG V10 for as low as 1070 NZD, and a 64GB Nexus 6P for as low as 1050 NZD. I have read and watched a lot of reviews for both phones, and while the camera and RAM on the V10 seem better; the processor on the 6P is definitely not something to overlook. Of course with the Nexus, software updates are definitely the speediest, but LG does not seem far behind either, at least in terms of newer versions of android. I am now confused. Which one should it be?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
It comes down to the software. Nexus phones always get updates many months earlier than other Android phones and pure Android is much better than any manufacturer's customized version. The V10 probably has a better camera but the camera on the 6P is regarded as first rate. I never buy anything except Nexus phones because I don't want a phone company between me and my updates.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Both are great phones. I'm guessing the LG is a bit tougher, and if removable storage and battery are really important to you, the LG may be better for you.

For me, not a fan of LG software, and being in a fringe area, not crazy about their radios either. The Nexus is the clear winner on these.

jdk606o

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I currently have the V10 but am going to swap it with the 6P end of this month. If you have any questions just ask.

Posted via the Android Central App

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Both have different features, but I'd go with the Nexus 6P.

Software alone, imo the Nexus blows away LG's UI by leaps and bounds. It's super fast, very clean and just an enjoyable experience all round. Having previously owned an LG G4, I was disappointed with the software. Camera I'd edge to the V10 (assuming it's the same as the G4), but the 6P is no slouch. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the 6P camera.

You need to think about what is most important to you. Maybe get a list of things in order from most important to least important, write it down and then try to objectively compare the two phones.

I find it very hard to recommend any other android phone phone over the 6P at the moment. It's really very good. But what I like might not be what you like.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
The fact is they are both great phones but those of us that love this stuff will pick the nexus mainly because of the Software. On the hardware you could make arguments for both. I prefer the nexus. The camera is just as good regardless of specs, the finger print reader is also better.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
only you can answer that question. IMO the 6p is the best phone available, and I really dislike LGs software. RAM management is as good as you'll find on the 6p, so I wouldn't let that sway your decision.

you'll get a different perspective if u ask the same question at the v10 forum. people that own one really seem to love it.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Since LG for whatever reason decided not to release the V10 up here I'm not sure if I would've bought it over the 6P.

It doesn't help that I have the G4 and wanted something different and go back to nexus for pure android.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Remember the Nexus 6P is pure Nexus so even with 3GB of RAM, its very smooth. Lg uses their skin which is a bit laggy even with 3GB of RAM.

3GB of RAM + Android MM=Smooth OS. No worries there.

I wouldn't buy LG only because I have used LG and software seems to take a long time to come out. Seems like they are usually 6onths or so behind. At least with Nexus, I'll get software update from Google monthly.

Nexus Six P

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I am looking to purchase a new phone these holidays. Here in NZ, I am able to buy a 64GB LG V10 for as low as 1070 NZD, and a 64GB Nexus 6P for as low as 1050 NZD. I have read and watched a lot of reviews for both phones, and while the camera and RAM on the V10 seem better; the processor on the 6P is definitely not something to overlook. Of course with the Nexus, software updates are definitely the speediest, but LG does not seem far behind either, at least in terms of newer versions of android. I am now confused. Which one should it be?

I own a 6p, and my wife owns a v10. They each have pros and cons. As others have said, it depends on your needs. I came from an LG, so there are a lot of things I miss. The 6p feels just a bit better in my hand, except I do miss the volume buttons on the back on the LG. The LG will withstand a little more abuse, but it's also heavier. For me, the smoothness of the OS is better, and fingerprint sensor is great on the 6p. My wife loves the camera and removable battery on her v10. So, depending on priorities, and all being equal, the 6p costs less, you'll get quicker Android updates, so your choice may lean towards the 6p.

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
There is only one small speaker on the bottom of the V10. I was concerned about it and tested 2 phones at a Verizon store. The sound isn't too bad, but both phones did distort when I cranked up the volume on some YouTube videos.

That was the deal breaker for me but I'll tell ya, I liked just about everything else the V10 has to offer. Removable battery, 64 GB of memory, SD card, 2nd display, etc.

Still though, most experts and reviewers have stated that the Nexus 6p is the smartphone of the year... and I agree!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My LG G3 was one of the best phones I have ever owned. LG makes an amazing camera. Took it with me through a China adventure. Great photos. Loved way it felt in hand, the buttons on the back, the tap to wake. Of course, it was loaded with AT&T and LG bloatware and unlikely to ever get another OS upgrade.

Then Stagefright hit. It took months for AT&T to release an update. Yeah, it was unlikely to affect me but it was still a hole. After that, I was pretty sure I'd never receive another update. Who knows if it would ever receive Marshmallow and it was only one year old.

I decided I was fed up with carrier phones. The timely updates was the hands down, primary reason I went Nexus. The software is the core of your daily experience with a phone and Google improves upon itself with each version. A Nexus phone can live on much longer when it is updated regularly by the designers of its OS.

The one thing no one asked though is if the update situation is as bad in your country as it is in the U.S.?
In the U.S., carriers substantially delay updates and often abandon phones after about one year. Hence the easy decision for me to go Nexus.

What's it like in your country?

(oops - sorry for the long post)

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a G4 and switched to a 6p. IMO the software experience is more important than anything else. The LG skin is so clunky and drove me nuts, and I'm way happier with the 6p.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781