Doze doesn't work... ?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Everything has been great since I got the phone. I decided to test doze by leaving it unplugged overnight. It dropped 15%. Looked like a steady drop on the battery chart. Appears to have been cellular signal. I guess it switched off WiFi but should that matter?

Is that normal?

I thought it's only supposed to be a couple percentage points.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Doze didn't work... ?

If you have a poor cellular signal, that'll drain the battery, even with doze.

The bigger question is: what does your awake bar look like? Solid or almost solid? If so, there's an app that's keeping the phone awake. If its almost empty, then it's something like antenna drain.

Sent from the Comm Center of the Ingata

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

The bigger question is: what does your awake bar look like? Solid or almost solid? If so, there's an app that's keeping the phone awake. If its almost empty, then it's something like antenna drain.

This is one area I am not experienced with. If you are referring to the rows of staggered, colored lines below the battery graph, I seem to recall the cellular signal was on top with clearly the most usage - colored bar, not solid, had spaces in the bar but definitely most used.

Just to be sure - that's the notification area you are referring to? And I should look what's on top of that to determine the potential app preventing doze?

There's also the list of apps with a percentage use for each one - is it that?

(I would have attached a screenshot but I plugged it in and it reset everything)

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

Mine would search and search for WiFi all night and drain similarly. Turn off WiFi it should be fine

Posted via the Android Central App

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

WiFi should not be draining your battery like that. Do you have WiFi in your place? Is it a strong signal? Poor cell reception is worse. Have you checked to see what's sucking all your juice? You want to look at your awake section in battery. It should have like one dash every 30 mins or so, It should not be solid. Was your phone downloading apps updates in the background, syncing photos?

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

This is one area I am not experienced with. If you are referring to the rows of staggered, colored lines below the battery graph, I seem to recall the cellular signal was on top with clearly the most usage - colored bar, not solid, had spaces in the bar but definitely most used.

Just to be sure - that's the notification area you are referring to? And I should look what's on top of that to determine the potential app preventing doze?

There's also the list of apps with a percentage use for each one - is it that?

(I would have attached a screenshot but I plugged it in and it reset everything)

Click Settings > Battery > then the battery graph, and you'll see 6 bars beneath the graph starting with "Cellular Network Signal". That should be solid (unless you go into airplane mode or otherwise turn data off). It should be green (dark green is best, lighter green is okay). If it's Yellow, then that's a sign you don't have a strong signal and the battery is draining faster.

The fourth section down is "Awake". That should have a lot of gaps, especially when its dozing. If it's solid, that means the phone isn't going into doze.

If something is keeping the phone awake, the only real way to figure out what's causing the problem is by seeing if things updated currently and uninstalling apps until it finally does doze. However, some apps are notorious for keeping phones awake - especially anything by Facebook. I had an issue with an app a while back (for me, it was the Fi Spy app). It didn't show up in the list of apps (first battery screen) and I only found it by uninstalling apps.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Click Settings > Battery > then the battery graph, and you'll see 6 bars beneath the graph starting with "Cellular Network Signal". That should be solid (unless you go into airplane mode or otherwise turn data off). It should be green (dark green is best, lighter green is okay). If it's Yellow, then that's a sign you don't have a strong signal and the battery is draining faster.

The fourth section down is "Awake". That should have a lot of gaps, especially when its dozing. If it's solid, that means the phone isn't going into doze.

Now I did plug in the phone since this morning so it erased the battery data from the night before. For today, the cell signal is dark green then red for a bit (I know I was in a dead zone) then light green then dark green. So, for today, it's normal I guess.

Awake has lots of gaps like you said - few solid green parts but very short.

If something is keeping the phone awake, the only real way to figure out what's causing the problem is by seeing if things updated currently and uninstalling apps until it finally does doze. However, some apps are notorious for keeping phones awake - especially anything by Facebook. I had an issue with an app a while back (for me, it was the Fi Spy app). It didn't show up in the list of apps (first battery screen) and I only found it by uninstalling apps.

I sure hope I don't have to start the app uninstall investigation process. I do have Facebook installed but it will be the first to go if this happens again.

I'm going to charge my phone to 100% tonight and leave it unplugged overnight. If it happens again, I'll look at my battery report closely to see if I can identify what's happening. And, BTW, I do have a strong WiFi signal in my bedroom.

I'll report back on this thread.

THANK YOU!!!!

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Also, do you have Bluetooth on? I did some research and it seems that Bluetooth is causing wake locks in marshmallow. So I looked at my BT menu, sure enough its trying to connect to my trucks radio. Considering my truck is parked and off, it shouldn't be trying to connect, but it is. My phone hasn't dozed for quite some time now.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Also, do you have Bluetooth on? I did some research and it seems that Bluetooth is causing wake locks in marshmallow. So I looked at my BT menu, sure enough its trying to connect to my trucks radio. Considering my truck is parked and off, it shouldn't be trying to connect, but it is. My phone hasn't dozed for quite some time now.

Yes, I have BT on. I assume it remains connected to my watch all night, which is sitting next to it on the nightstand. However, I think watch connections are different than things like speakers and cars. The BT menu does not show "connecting"/"connected" for watches. It just lists the watch with nothing under it. I don't know the technical details but I know it's different.

When you say yours is trying to connect to your truck, you are seeing activity under the your truck's entry in the BT menu, right? (e.g. "Trying to connect..."

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I have BT on. I assume it remains connected to my watch all night, which is sitting next to it on the nightstand. However, I think watch connections are different than things like speakers and cars. The BT menu does not show "connecting"/"connected" for watches. It just lists the watch with nothing under it. I don't know the technical details but I know it's different.

When you say yours is trying to connect to your truck, you are seeing activity under the your truck's entry in the BT menu, right? (e.g. "Trying to connect..."
My moto 360 is connected at all times, I believe your right that it's something different then a car or headphone setup. I went into settings<Bluetooth it showed SYNC trying to connect and shaded out. I turned Bluetooth off, and about tens mins later my solid awake bar went back to normal. I have been using my phone still tho. But for that little time it went into doze.
uploadfromtaptalk1451287332678.jpg

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

My moto 360 is connected at all times, I believe your right that it's something different then a car or headphone setup. I went into settings<Bluetooth it showed SYNC trying to connect and shaded out. I turned Bluetooth off, and about tens mins later my solid awake bar went back to normal. I have been using my phone still tho. But for that little time it went into doze.

It does sound to me like your phone is actively trying to connect to your car. I think that my car's "Volkswagen" connection goes grey when I get into my car and begins the connection process, it connects, then returns to normal with the word "connected." However, it is just idle on the BT list right now - says nothing, not greyed out. Makes no sense that yours would be trying to connect all the time and mine does not. I don't have BT audio, just phone --- maybe that's part of the reason. ?? That has gotta be a pain.

I am going to stick this in my mental troubleshooting toolbox and keep it in mind as well. Let's see what my phone reports in the morning.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, only lost 5% last night and the battery graph was relatively flat. Unfortunately, I took a screenshot of the wrong screen then plugged it in and erased the history again. If I recall correctly, WiFi was solid green most of the night and there was barely any awake. So maybe the other night was just a one time occurrence. I'm going to try again tonight.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that sounds more like a normal night. Just keep track, and if it starts acting up, see if uninstalling the Facebook app fixes it.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So, the first night this all started, my cellular signal was the problem and WiFi didn't seem to be working overnight. The second night, WiFi was fine and cellular was not being used so Doze worked great. Just last night, it's back to using cellular all night. I have to keep experimenting or something. Any comment on this battery reading?

Screenshot_20151229-083513.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So, the first night this all started, my cellular signal was the problem and WiFi didn't seem to be working overnight. The second night, WiFi was fine and cellular was not being used so Doze worked great. Just last night, it's back to using cellular all night. I have to keep experimenting or something. Any comment on this battery reading?

View attachment 211362

Very odd. Do you have wifi set to always stay on? Also you definitely seem to have something waking it up a lot more than mine.

This was mine last night. I charged, used it a little before bed, and then took this in the morning. Wifi stayed on the whole time (till I left for work and shut it off) I just took the second screenshot now to show the awake bar.

Attachments

• 1451415021241.jpg
    1451415021241.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1451415073061.jpg
    1451415073061.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 18

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Very odd. Do you have wifi set to always stay on? Also you definitely seem to have something waking it up a lot more than mine.

This was mine last night. I charged, used it a little before bed, and then took this in the morning. Wifi stayed on the whole time (till I left for work and shut it off) I just took the second screenshot now to show the awake bar.

Wow that's amazing! Just curious, do you use Google Now cards?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow that's amazing! Just curious, do you use Google Now cards?

I do. I have them set for Football / weather / traffic. I also keep location on high accuracy and just let it do its thing.

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I do. I have them set for Football / weather / traffic. I also keep location on high accuracy and just let it do its thing.

My phone doesn't have a solid awake bar and has some dashes when the screen is off but nothing like yours. I just shut off my Google Now cards and I'll see how that does. I really wish I could figure what app is waking my phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma