Am I the only one not in love with the camera?

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My daily driver is an S6 but I'm trying out a 6P. I love everything about the 6P except for the picture quality, which is the only thing holding me back from keeping it. They seem a little washed out compared to the S6 pics.

Thoughts?

MattKerwin

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I dk if I'd say washed out...I have a 6p and my dad has an S6...

I think the S6 oversaturates images and that screen does the same, so I think it by default adds some oversaturated and unrealistic colors

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So far I have been loving the camera and the shots I take with it. I am by no means a professional photographer .. I am in the "point and shoot" category.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It definitely takes great shots, but the camera on the Note 5 I had was definitely better. All depends on how serious you are about taking pictures I guess.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I dont know whats wrongs with your nexus 6p but mine takes amazing picture and there are few times my friends have praised the nexus 6p camera

my friend was checking out my phone and played with the camera, after taking few sample picture in low light he was so impressed with the camera.

Me and my friend was at the WWE smack down last week and we were taking pictures.

First i used his iphone 6s to take few pictures of him(and his GF) and then I asked him to take pictures of me and my wife using my Nexus 6p.

soon he realized that nexus 6p took better pictures than his iphone(which was really bad for some reason) and asked me take some shots from my phone.

I was so happy that day

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Coming from Samsung phones, I too am not satisfied with the 6p camera. Not to mention, it really lags when I open it either with the short cut double power button tap or through the app it's self.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
My daily driver is an S6 but I'm trying out a 6P. I love everything about the 6P except for the picture quality, which is the only thing holding me back from keeping it. They seem a little washed out compared to the S6 pics.

Thoughts?

I have to admit I feel the same way as you do. I'm coming from a galaxy note 4. I actually really like the camera on the Nexus 6p, I'm finding that the videos just don't seem to be as good as my old note. I'm not sure what's up with that but I will keep experimenting with it.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Thoughts?

Do you mean blown out (i.e. overexposed) or do you mean the color saturation? You really need to look at both on the same computer screen to evaluate color (because the mobile screens aren't calibrated identically), but I haven't seen any review that showed color saturation being a problem in the 6P.

If you are getting overexposed images (especially outdoors) I find that some people outdoors are not setting a focus point (since outside the phone basically sets itself to infinite focus anyhow), but that tap is important to tell the phone which part of the scene you want it to expose for - if you don't tell it the 6P tries to balance the bright skies and the ground and the result is often overexposure.

That might not be your problem, but I've seen it happen to more than one person now, so I wanted to bring it up just in case.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I may have a bad camera. The pictures are not horrible, but when you do a big crop the seem to get almost grainy.

Other than that one thing, I love it.

tangozebra

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying a variety of camera apps, shooting jpeg + RAW. The jpegs are exposed pretty well but RAWs are consistently overexposed regardless of the app or focal point. I think that is by design, I just have to tune the RAWs then they look fine.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I may have a bad camera. The pictures are not horrible, but when you do a big crop the seem to get almost grainy.

Well, between the 6P and the S6, the Galaxy has about 33% more pixels (the 6P is a 12.3MP camera and the 6S is 16)... That WILL have an impact on your ability to crop... you won't be able to crop as much on the 6P as a phone with a higher pixel count.

As far as grain, it depends on if you picking up pixel grain, or noise.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you are getting overexposed images (especially outdoors) I find that some people outdoors are not setting a focus point (since outside the phone basically sets itself to infinite focus anyhow), but that tap is important to tell the phone which part of the scene you want it to expose for - if you don't tell it the 6P tries to balance the bright skies and the ground and the result is often overexposure.

Very much this... The phone guesses.... when you take a picture without any kind of input, the phone just looks out and kind of guesses on what to expose to, or focus on, etc. All it takes is a simple tap to clear up the confusion.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine doesn't seem washed out at all. This pic was taken in low light (just the light of the TV and some light coming in from a hallway) and the colors on my pajamas is spot on, and if anything my orange cat looks a touch MORE orange than he does in reality:

IMG_20151224_203858.jpg

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Expect way too much from a phone, aren't these basically just being uploaded in Social Media.

If you're a serious photographer wouldn't you use an SLR?

Don't take it personally just curious.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Coming from the Note 4 and recording a lot of videos of my kids, I was able to take pics from the videos. Is there not an option to do that with the Nexus 6P?

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the input.
I take a lot of pictures because I'm in real estate, which this camera is fine for. I'm just trying to make sure before dropping the $$.

Thanks again...I feel better about the (potential) purchase!

Amy wineBerry

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It will really all come down to how you prefer your pictures to look. Samsung devices tend to offer punchier colors, as the pics tend to be a bit more saturated. With my Note5, I'd often take pictures and be surprised at how much brighter things tended to look and the added pop to colors that it provided.

I can definitely understand why you're not wowed though. It will really come down to your preference.