Best Camera App for 6P?

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm a parent and an outdoor enthusiast. So that makes me Mr. Camera happy with phones.

I came from an S6 which I hated, except for the camera. Now I have 6P which I love (even the camera). But IMO the camera just isn't up to snuff with what the S6 could do. Not saying the 6P camera is bad, just that looking at pictures from when I had my S6 and now - to me there is a noticeable drop in quality.

That being said, I feel like a lot of it is software based. An example is the selective focus feature on the S6. It was pretty darn flawless, quick, and got great looking shots of kids in motion. I'd say 99% of the time I could get the shot I wanted on my s6 without any post-processing.

With that in mind; What are everyones favorite camera apps on their 6P? I have lots of post processing apps, but struggle to find a single camera app that I really like.

I currently use the stock google camera, Camera FV-5, and Pro-shot. All of which have their bright-spots and shortcomings.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.. other than the ones you listed... give Manual Camera a look. Even when not using the manual controls, its a decent app.

I still maintain that HDR+ pics shot with the Google Camera output the highest quality pics. But it doesn't work in every situation.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Well.. other than the ones you listed... give Manual Camera a look. Even when not using the manual controls, its a decent app.

I still maintain that HDR+ pics shot with the Google Camera output the highest quality pics. But it doesn't work in every situation.

Totally agree with the HDR statement. Last night I found myself up on top of this bluff, taking the same shot in 3 different apps to make sure I got the best shot.

I use the stock google camera the most but sometimes want to quickly change aspect ratios, so I use pro shot for that.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Google camera is the only one I use. Simple and with HDR most pics come out great. I had a Note 4 and I admit that the Samsung camera app is better. But as someone who also uses a DSLR camera frequently, I find the Google camera to be a perfect blend of speed, simplicity, and quality.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think they are going out of their way to avoid feature bloat. There is a ton of stuff they could have added (manual controls to utilize the new camera api they developed, maybe?) but have resisted. To be honest, version 3 that shipped with the 5X and 6P were huge overhauls.. new UI, better layout, better controls, more features (120/240fps slow motion).... maybe it's a sign that they are letting go of the reigns a bit and might start beefing it up a bit more.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, I think they are going out of their way to avoid feature bloat. There is a ton of stuff they could have added (manual controls to utilize the new camera api they developed, maybe?) but have resisted. To be honest, version 3 that shipped with the 5X and 6P were huge overhauls.. new UI, better layout, better controls, more features (120/240fps slow motion).... maybe it's a sign that they are letting go of the reigns a bit and might start beefing it up a bit more.

Yep. One mans feature is another mans bloat.

I think this thread basically confirmed what I already thought. Googles Camera App is the best, 90% of the time.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think this thread basically confirmed what I already thought. Googles Camera App is the best, 90% of the time.

Yep, that's my experience as well. Most of the time, I'm taking shots bascially to catalog the passage of time... my daughter getting called up to help out a magician at a show, etc. If I need to do something funky, I'll use another app, but almost always in GC.

Though I am still on the fence as far as video is concerned. GC is the only one that does EIS... but I'd love if it fixed the focus... I use Cinema FV-5 a lot to take video because I can just set the to refocus when I hit volume down or tap the screen. GC is perma-set to continual focus and can bounce a bit too often.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I just found the bracketing feature. Perhaps it just wasn't ***** proof enough for me. But perhaps that is HDR?

With that in mind...the only thing I can think is missing is the selective focus.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm the developer of ProShot. Thank you for checking my app out! I'm curious about what you think its shortcomings are. I'm always looking for ways to make it better :)

Hey... awesome! Thanks for popping in. Overall, excellent app. Once I got a feel on how it's laid out, it's quite good. The features are really good and the UI is very clean. I like that... there are a couple of camera apps that tend to get really fussy with the UI, or add in some cartoonish elements.

My only suggestion would be to maybe try to incorporate maybe some dials for the manual controls. Right now, it pops a menu on the right-hand side for WB, etc... a lot of your other UI elements are those circular dials in the corners. This is a really minor quibble, mind you.

I'll use ProShot as my main go-to for a bit. It's always great to have a dev on here working with end-users, so the least I can do is give your app a good workout. :)

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm the developer of ProShot. Thank you for checking my app out! I'm curious about what you think its shortcomings are. I'm always looking for ways to make it better :)

By the way - thank you for responding. If you added HDR and Selective focus in Pro Shot - I could delete every other camera app.

RiseUpGames

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey... awesome! Thanks for popping in. Overall, excellent app. Once I got a feel on how it's laid out, it's quite good. The features are really good and the UI is very clean. I like that... there are a couple of camera apps that tend to get really fussy with the UI, or add in some cartoonish elements.

My only suggestion would be to maybe try to incorporate maybe some dials for the manual controls. Right now, it pops a menu on the right-hand side for WB, etc... a lot of your other UI elements are those circular dials in the corners. This is a really minor quibble, mind you.

I'll use ProShot as my main go-to for a bit. It's always great to have a dev on here working with end-users, so the least I can do is give your app a good workout. :)

I agree that the right menu could be better - it's an intermediate step as I iterate the interface to better accommodate the types of users coming into ProShot. Still not sure if I'm going to make it all dials, but who knows what 2016 will bring? :)

By the way - thank you for responding. If you added HDR and Selective focus in Pro Shot - I could delete every other camera app.

HDR is definitely a planned feature :) Selective focus is something I want to add, but to make it could take months of R&D (finding and developing my own algorithms, making it work on a wide range of Android devices, etc). As an independent developer with ProShot on all major mobile platforms, I can't afford to spend 3-4 months on a single feature, so I've got to prioritize.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Totally understand. Plus adding in features for those that have already paid will result in no new income. I thought the selective focus thing was part of the new camera API. I guess it makes sense that it's not now that I think about it.

Maybe add in "purchasable" features.

RiseUpGames

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Totally understand. Plus adding in features for those that have already paid will result in no new income. I thought the selective focus thing was part of the new camera API. I guess it makes sense that it's not now that I think about it.

Maybe add in "purchasable" features.

The money thing is always a tough balance. I want as many people as possible to have the app, but without money I can't buy food to keep me alive long enough to add more features :p I'm going with a one-time purchase model for now, but might experiment with others to see what works best for everyone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers