Nexus 6P / mediaserver / audio on - battery drain

schizophrenia

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 6P users with GSam Battery Monitor and Root Companion, do you notice the one of the highest battery drainers is under "System (mediaserver) and when you click into it is shows "Audio On" for a very long time?

I did not play any music or anything with much sound except normal apps notification. I also tried uninstalling updates of Youtube/Google Music etc and cleared data and cache, and uninstalling a few possible apps such as apps relates to "sounds and music" and the "Audio On" time just keeps going.

Is it normal? If not, any solution or suggsetions? Thanks.

Attachments

• 2016-01-10 06.45.04.jpg
    2016-01-10 06.45.04.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 2016-01-10 06.45.15.jpg
    2016-01-10 06.45.15.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 103

aniket kuber

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I had the mediaserver bug. I found out that it was an mkv file causing that issue .. With that file the system would go haywire .. Quickpic would show black thumbnails ... It tool me 2 days to narrow it down to that file .. Same might be in your case as well . A corrupt file which the media server might not be able to index.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would try to put a ".nomedia" file in the root directory to see if you still have the same problem. If no more problems with media server then you have a corrupt media file

schizophrenia

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I had the mediaserver bug. I found out that it was an mkv file causing that issue .. With that file the system would go haywire .. Quickpic would show black thumbnails ... It tool me 2 days to narrow it down to that file .. Same might be in your case as well . A corrupt file which the media server might not be able to index.

I dont think it's any file corruption because it does relate to "Audio On" instead of mediaserver scanning. hmm..

I would try to put a ".nomedia" file in the root directory to see if you still have the same problem. If no more problems with media server then you have a corrupt media file

let me try to delete all the music files but i doubt it relates to any corrupted files.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've seen this and have yet to isolate the issue, but I've always been out and about and not in a position to investigate. I'm going disable the internal media scan at the root drive and see if the issue still pops.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Make sure it's not something to do with Windows 10. I happened to notice yesterday that under devices I had a nexus 6p media server and something else related to the nexus 6p.

I've played videos from my desktop to the 6p via vlc and ES File Explorer. I'm wondering if windows is keeping it open.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.... the mediaserver process is what handles the, well, media. That's what makes it so hard to isolate. Audio files being played, video.. if you have it listening for "OK Google", screen on or off, it gets touched.

I've cleared out most of the audio files, and now I've turned OFF any of the 'OK.." detection (even if I am on my homescreen). I want a baseline where it doesn't pop up, then I can narrow down what is causing the process to fire off wakelocks. Maybe they are actually used, rather than any bug.. who knows.

Still, this isn't something firing off willy-nilly.... I ONLY see it appear as a process of any substantial usage if I'm accessing something in that system... the camera, playing a pocketcast, etc. And it is also something that isn't forcing MY phone awake all time time (overnight, I had a 45mv voltage drop over the course of around 5 hours... that's CRAZY small)

Antonio99

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
absolutly same issue here :/

it seems started with February security patch, no media file change (not added, not moved of folder, nothing!). I've not played music/video while testing this.... :/
OkGoogle everywhere is OFF

Leomchd

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Well.... the mediaserver process is what handles the, well, media. That's what makes it so hard to isolate. Audio files being played, video.. if you have it listening for "OK Google", screen on or off, it gets touched.

I've cleared out most of the audio files, and now I've turned OFF any of the 'OK.." detection (even if I am on my homescreen). I want a baseline where it doesn't pop up, then I can narrow down what is causing the process to fire off wakelocks. Maybe they are actually used, rather than any bug.. who knows.

Still, this isn't something firing off willy-nilly.... I ONLY see it appear as a process of any substantial usage if I'm accessing something in that system... the camera, playing a pocketcast, etc. And it is also something that isn't forcing MY phone awake all time time (overnight, I had a 45mv voltage drop over the course of around 5 hours... that's CRAZY small)

Have you considered it can be a bug related to the GSAM app? Sorry for digging out the thread, but it has happened to me since I bought my S6.
I say that because I actually still have a somewhat decent battery life.

I have absolutely no .mp3 or video files in my device. All google settings that could possibly use media turned off. Still, I have "System (mediasever)" showing the biggest battery culprit at GSAM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital